Eddie Current tyres

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Has any one fitted the Eddy Current tyres on to the Bontrager wheel that you get with the Rail 9.8.I have put one on mine and it just keeps blowing completely off the rim when i get to about 20psi the tyre is a 29x 2.6and it is tight to fit so i thought it would be difficult get back off

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
it sounds strange. The only thing I can think is that the bead is sitting in the wheel well somewhere, which would have the bead opposite sitting high. Have you tried using soapy water on the bead and rim? It might help the tyre to seat in the rim where it is supposed to.

Just had another thought - the tyres are a funny shape from being folded up. I usually unpack mine and lie them flat on the ground until they are needed (could be weeks or more). Another potential fix could be to set up the tyre with a tube so that you have confidence that it seats properly - leave it like that overnight and it should be in good shape. Then remove the tube and set up tubeless.

Branny21

May 22, 2020
california
I fit an eddy current on mine on the front.. and i tell you what, it was a B!#$H!!! had to have my GF hold the wheel while i used two tire levers and lots of soapy water.. never had a tire that difficult to mount.. hopefully it lasts a long time lol. but now its on there and sits great so IDK what issue you are having..

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Had the tyre looked at and it is faulty so now trying to get in touch with Bike 24 where i bought it from but no joy yet.
Has any one used this company before they are in Germany ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It took the combined efforts of a Headteacher, a logistics executive and a spanner monkey to get an EC on my rear wheel at Coed y Brenin a couple of months ago. It was an absolute twat to get on and we broke several tyre levers in the process. Now the weather has turned I bloody hate it and I'm fully expecting to have to cut the damn thing off if I want to run a tyre that actually works in the winter.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
What a bugger. The rear ec looked like my perfect tyre - I just like the tread pattern and the heavy tough carcass. If it is this much trouble to put on and off; that changes things.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Oohhhh it sux alright!!!! If you take off rim strip and tape instead prob much easier. I got it on with strip but it was awful. Motorcycle tires are easy compared to them

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What a bugger. The rear ec looked like my perfect tyre - I just like the tread pattern and the heavy tough carcass. If it is this much trouble to put on and off; that changes things.

To be honest, the difficulty we had fitting it isn’t the biglyist problem; the stiff sidewalls mean there’s no compliance over rocks and roots. In the dry it’s just harsh, in the wet it’s fucking lethal! The tread pattern clogs really easily too.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Ya. I’m not all that impressed, Gonna try maxxis assegai dd casing next. Only comes in 2.5
I run the Assegai DD and love it! Set up tubeless, run low-ish pressure, no need for an insert, plenty of support from the sidewalls. The Bonty rims always make it a bit of a drama to fit new tyres though!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
If you all are struggling with tires to the point you are breaking tire irons you are doing something wrong. I mounted a set of Eddie currents on my decoy, no harder than a maxxis DD. Key is getting tire opposite of the bead you are working on in the drop center of the rim. Take little bites with irons

if you are forcing it somethings not right.

although some rims harder than others.

btw I’ve been running them all summer in California (dry,very dry), rear is great front I’ll probably replace with assgai and use as rear. Front is not terrible, but doesn’t corner as good as maxxis.

heavy casing are for sure a harsher ride but the also hold a line better and flex way less to the feel better at speed, in gnar and Corners.

I think good set up is a little light casing in front. In maxxis terms exo+ front DD rear... not sure what that is in schwalbe talk.

Nick m

May 1, 2020
Clevedon, Somerset, England
Hi All
I fitted a Magic Mary on the front and an Eddy current on the rear of my Jam2 after reading that the original Maxxis were puncture prone.
I had no trouble fitting either tyres on and I am impressed with the added level of grip.
I fitted the Rekon on the rear of my analogue trance.
I took the trance out last week on a very damp and rooty trail and it was sliding all over the place. In fact I started getting a bit freaked out and just didn't feel safe. I took the Focus out last night and the trail was an absolute MUDFEST but the bike stuck to the trail like glue. To say I was impressed was an understatement. I prefer slower technical trails especially at night and I have to say the tyre combination seems to suit my riding style. I will definitely get one again when it wears out as the confidence it gives me far outweighs any faults it may have.
Safe riding
Nick

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
if you are forcing it somethings not right.

although some rims harder than others.
Make your mind up... :rolleyes:

Trek wheels have a plastic moulded rim strip rather than rim tape that effectively increase the diameter of the rim at it's smallest point by about 10mm. As we were at a trail centre, retaping the rims with conventional tape wasn't an option, hence the struggle to fit them.

Doesn't stop the EC being shit in the wet though.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Trek wheels have a plastic moulded rim strip rather than rim tape that effectively increase the diameter of the rim at it's smallest point by about 10mm. As we were at a trail centre, retaping the rims with conventional tape wasn't an option, hence the struggle to fit them.

I took off the plastic tape & retaped it with (crappy) stans tape. The original strip was a lot thinner & more rubbery/flexible than I expected however the tape defintiely leaves more room to get that bead into the centre. I was also amazed how easier it was to get the tyre off after a few months riding - I don't think you'll need to cut off the old eddy.
It is a bugger though when you pay as much as a car tyre for one of these & it doesn't perform.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Make your mind up... :rolleyes:

I’ve made up my mind that you cant change a tire:) maybe it’s you in the wet as well

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How would you know? You can't even ride most of your trails in the wet...

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
To be honest, the difficulty we had fitting it isn’t the biglyist problem; the stiff sidewalls mean there’s no compliance over rocks and roots. In the dry it’s just harsh, in the wet it’s fucking lethal! The tread pattern clogs really easily too.
Was that the rear doomanic?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Had the tyre looked at and it is faulty so now trying to get in touch with Bike 24 where i bought it from but no joy yet.
Has any one used this company before they are in Germany ?
I have used Bike24 on numerous occasions, always a pleasure to deal with.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I must say Gavalar i sent them an email and they have been first class with their service and i will definitely be using them again, i would recommend Bike 24 to anyone
Hi Rawry, great to hear, I've never had an issue with them and their stock options are second to none, definitely a go-to company.

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
It took two bike mechanics to fit my eddy current to my rail they said it was the toughest trye they've ever fitted !

Tigga

Sep 17, 2020
Australia
Has anyone tried to run 3.0 tyres on their Trek Rail. Is there enough clearance in the rear. Do a lot of riding on the beach sand.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
I tried pressures from 15 psi up to 27. Spins out too easy. Packs up with mud , tooooo heavy. Lose all feeling with the terrain, Waaaay overhyped

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles