eBiking with man's best friend

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I recently was united with a 3yr. old Labradoodle that came with all the good dog aspects as well as mtb experience via his prime people. Over the 30+ yrs. of mtb'ing I have had a few dogs that were trail trained and they can make great companions and those longing eyes about the time they think you should be getting to it help get you to it......

Riding clockwork with a dog is pretty easy and they will run circles around you. It is important to note that a dog will run itself to death to keep up and I have seen the instance of this as we came upon it on a ride once. The folks just couldn't understand why it happened but in that instance it was a high desert climate they neglected to bring extra water for the dog, or themselves for that fact.

I find it no different riding my eBike with the dog and keep my pace suited to what he seems comfortable doing which is generally around 8mph. After a decent warm up he is good for 19mph with a tailwind for short bursts and he initiates it actually. But overall I dictate the pace based on my perception of his ability and don't take him out for too long or too far, around 10 miles seems to be about his limit.

So why use an eBike to go 10 miles at 8 mph? Because it is what I have in the shed and the e aspect really only comes into play on the hill climbs as it is easier to keep pace with him. On single trails as the speeds are less he just comes along and does his dog thing while you sort out the trail as usual.

IMG_2950.JPG

I also have some eX bikes that are mileage monsters as well as pretty fast and I won't be taking him on any serious rides with those bikes which is why I don't "own" a dog but I have been having some good times with Stewie here and reminded that dogs truly can be man's best friend.

Doogle

Mar 29, 2019
West yorks
I recently was united with a 3yr. old Labradoodle that came with all the good dog aspects as well as mtb experience via his prime people. Over the 30+ yrs. of mtb'ing I have had a few dogs that were trail trained and they can make great companions and those longing eyes about the time they think you should be getting to it help get you to it......

Riding clockwork with a dog is pretty easy and they will run circles around you. It is important to note that a dog will run itself to death to keep up and I have seen the instance of this as we came upon it on a ride once. The folks just couldn't understand why it happened but in that instance it was a high desert climate they neglected to bring extra water for the dog, or themselves for that fact.

I find it no different riding my eBike with the dog and keep my pace suited to what he seems comfortable doing which is generally around 8mph. After a decent warm up he is good for 19mph with a tailwind for short bursts and he initiates it actually. But overall I dictate the pace based on my perception of his ability and don't take him out for too long or too far, around 10 miles seems to be about his limit.

So why use an eBike to go 10 miles at 8 mph? Because it is what I have in the shed and the e aspect really only comes into play on the hill climbs as it is easier to keep pace with him. On single trails as the speeds are less he just comes along and does his dog thing while you sort out the trail as usual.

View attachment 24678

I also have some eX bikes that are mileage monsters as well as pretty fast and I won't be taking him on any serious rides with those bikes which is why I don't "own" a dog but I have been having some good times with Stewie here and reminded that dogs truly can be man's best friend.
Agreed ??

EFE9AEAA-627E-479D-8451-80063E7CC31E.jpeg

C04CBBCC-56BA-430E-ADAB-C36346E42FF1.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'd love a trail dog! :love:

But sadly my wife absolutely will not countenance one, "over her dead body" etc :unsure:

After careful thought, adding up pluses and minuses, I have decided to keep the wife. :ROFLMAO:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unfortunately not all dogs make good trail dogs. Mine, for instance; erratic, undisciplined and unpredictable. She loves it out in the woods but by my own admission I don’t have adequate control over her when on a bike.

Unfortunately, not all owners make good trail dog owners for exactly the same reason. Only last week I was on a trail behind a guy with three mobile chicanes, sorry trail dogs, and he was making no attempt whatsoever to control them.
I’m sure it’s less of a problem in the huge outdoors you get it Oz/USA, but at a busy UK trail centre it was a pain in the arse.

Reactions: Dax

Doogle

Mar 29, 2019
West yorks
Unfortunately not all dogs make good trail dogs. Mine, for instance; erratic, undisciplined and unpredictable. She loves it out in the woods but by my own admission I don’t have adequate control over her when on a bike.

Unfortunately, not all owners make good trail dog owners for exactly the same reason. Only last week I was on a trail behind a guy with three mobile chicanes, sorry trail dogs, and he was making no attempt whatsoever to control them.
I’m sure it’s less of a problem in the huge outdoors you get it Oz/USA, but at a busy UK trail centre it was a pain in the arse.
It’s not the dogs that are a pain it’s him

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
C77C3D10-BF6A-4616-9E88-9042DE8BA54E.jpeg

Nala on top of Pedra Grande, a 40 km 1.200 meter climb, she loves bikes but would probably be an ebike hater because she has to stay home everytime her human chooses to ride that awkward looking and noisy thing.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Love them all. Been chased by so many & always makes my day when the next deluded pooch thinks he/she can catch me.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
She does not seem to be sorry... well you don’t look like youre angry either.
But be careful, I had another dog before Nala, Gita and me had built a strong bond and she could keep me company even on longer full day rides. One day, just a few hours before going on a trip with the family I resolved to take her for a short spin, no more than two miles from getting back home, while riding an open field I lost sight of her for just a couple of minutes and when I stopped to call she would not show, and we never saw each other again.
Three years have passed and it still hurts not to know what happened to Gita and all I can do to help myself and her is share this hard learnt lesson.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I find the main down side of riding with the dog is that they end up humiliating you .. it's either when I think I'm going really fast and giving it my all, just be effortlessly overtaken. Or when you're lying on the floor have just gone OTB and they fly over as if there's nothing there .. b4stards ..

Splash Dive.jpg

Then they kick you and the cat off the sofa and lord it up as KOM ..

Splash sofa.jpg

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Is the bow in the dog's hair really necessary? :unsure:

I'd have to have a short haired dog, or I would end up spending more time cleaning the dog than the bike!

Of course it's necessary.................. it's a Bow wow!

If the dog is clever enough to ride a bike you could probably train it to clean the bikes as well thereby saving your time.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
He's super athletic too. What breed is your handsome buddy Zim?

Not really sure on his breeding... He'd been dumped so we rescued him from the SPA/RSPCA. Was full of worms, seriously underweight and in really bad condition, not sure how he was actually alive.

Don't think he'd ever been in a house before, TV's, Kettles, everything was a surprise :)

I think based on some of his features, his temperament and his appetite, he's part Lab mixed in with one of the French hunting dogs.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
3:28 A great DOB (dog over bars) . Not sure about 0:20 Dog case ..

I think you'd be better with a trail mule, would be more practical to help you carry the bike back when you break it :)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Not really sure on his breeding... He'd been dumped so we rescued him from the SPA/RSPCA. Was full of worms, seriously underweight and in really bad condition, not sure how he was actually alive.

Don't think he'd ever been in a house before, TV's, Kettles, everything was a surprise :)

I think based on some of his features, his temperament and his appetite, he's part Lab mixed in with one of the French hunting dogs.
Great story and one very nice pooch I can tell.
I want a trail dog!
Totally. Just so many - I'm thinking fast & hypoallergenic are my only requirements -intelligence might be good.

Is this not the best thing ever, I want a trail dog!
Wow that Border Collie is fast

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Just so many - I'm thinking fast & hypoallergenic are my only requirements -intelligence might be good.

Visler -> Doesn't shed. Has no smell. Highly intelligent. Devoted. Runs fast and for miles. However... very high exercise need. Hates being left alone. Has no "undercoat" and so is sensitive to extreme cold.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles