eBiker in court for causing death by dangerous driving

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I heard the report on Radio 4 and was quite impressed that they referred to his bike as a "motorised bicycle" and where very clear it wasnt a legal ebike

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I don't think the tabloids will be showing the same clarity.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So regardless whether he is found guilty of riding without due care he will be found guilty of having no insurance etc since his bike was in in fact a motorbike not a pedelec. What speed he was doing has no effect on those charges but of course is central to the charge of riding without due care and in doing so causing a death. I am surprised many more Road Traffic Act offences he committed were not also mentioned.....e.g no lights, horn. Regardless of the outcome of the Due care charge, his bike will be impounded and he will likely be fined and given penalty points on his driving licence, assuming he has one. If he is found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving it is unlikely he will get insurance for a car or motorbike at anything less than a small fortune, but an immediate driving ban could also be imposed or even jail time.

For the EMTB community we just have to hope that the distinction between a pedelec and an illegal motorised bicycle is made clear in the media reporting.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I just want to know where are all the people on this thread that boast about derestricting their ebikes. And where are the manufactures and sellers of derestricting devices that frequent this form.
Seems they are all hiding in ignorant bliss.?‍♂️
if you are foolish enough to derestrict your bike and it breaks, you fall off, or you face the law because of this.... I laugh at you.
I suspect I’ll get reported for flaming and provoking again for calling out foolish people.

Reactions: Dax

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
I just want to know where are all the people on this thread that boast about derestricting their ebikes. And where are the manufactures and sellers of derestricting devices that frequent this form.
Seems they are all hiding in ignorant bliss.
if you are foolish enough to derestrict your bike and it breaks, you fall off, or you face the law because of this.... I laugh at you.
I suspect I’ll get reported for flaming and provoking again for calling out foolish people.
My ebike is my least dangerous hobby.

176mph M2

.223 rifle and semi automatic shotgun

80mph downhill ski runs.

Better be careful my ebike stays limited to 15mph lol

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I read on STW that he was acquitted of all the “causing death while” charges but plead guilty to riding without a license and insurance but I can’t find the court transcripts to back that up.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Very surprising
Not really.

Not if you understand how the law works.

No proof he was speeding. She walked out in to the road.

The issue for him is the civil case where he will likely lose due to low burden of proof and shared blame.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
According to the newspaper report, she walked out in the road without looking and against the lights, giving him (or even a car) little chance to avoid her. So I can see why he was found not guilty of the death. But he was also cleared of the other charges, for which he was clearly guilty (facts not in dispute). Puzzled. :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles