eBiker in court for causing death by dangerous driving

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
“If they [electric bikes] exceed a certain speed or power you do need a licence.”

Surely the speed part of this quote is untrue??

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Here is he original thread on this incident, including video from a CCTV camera...

Person killed in London by EMTB - EMTB Forums
“If they [electric bikes] exceed a certain speed or power you do need a licence.”

Surely the speed part of this quote is untrue??
Just lazy journalism - I suspect what they should have written was “If they [electric bikes] provide assistance above a certain speed or exceed 250W constant power you do need a licence.”, but of course that requires some actual research... :unsure::rolleyes:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Here is he original thread on this incident, including video from a CCTV camera...

Person killed in London by EMTB - EMTB Forums

Just lazy journalism - I suspect what they should have written was “If they [electric bikes] provide assistance above a certain speed or exceed 250W constant power you do need a licence.”, but of course that requires some actual research... :unsure::rolleyes:
Lol, not the best advert for the forum, a couple of big hitters & a dick called DEADMEAT :ROFLMAO:

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I've predicted that would happen at some point. However, in London there are so many people hooning around on home converted twist-and-go 'ebikes' which are essentially electric scooters.

I think the next iteration of this is someone hitting a hiker on a trail or footpath where we aren't meant to be, and the bike is chipped.

This was, very sadly, always going to happen.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I've predicted that would happen at some point. However, in London there are so many people hooning around on home converted twist-and-go 'ebikes' which are essentially electric scooters.

I think the next iteration of this is someone hitting a hiker on a trail or footpath where we aren't meant to be, and the bike is chipped.

This was, very sadly, always going to happen.
I think you are right, If you look closely at the video it does not look like the rider of the ebike was actually pedalling so more of a twist and go ebike. Still an ebike though...... which means we will get tarred by the same brush :(
On top of all this, again, if you watch the video it looks like she is crossing the road while the light is green for road users and red for pedestrians ....

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Yup, cyclists in London just pay zero attention to Red Lights, it's almost a badge of honour to ignore them. I've seen footage where a cyclist thumped a pedestrian he nearly hit jumping a red light when the pedestrian shouted at him..

Next crackdown will be the Twist and Go Scooters which have become all the rage now.

I guess it all depends how much this gets picked up in the news cycle.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Yup, cyclists in London just pay zero attention to Red Lights, it's almost a badge of honour to ignore them. I've seen footage where a cyclist thumped a pedestrian he nearly hit jumping a red light when the pedestrian shouted at him..

Next crackdown will be the Twist and Go Scooters which have become all the rage now.

If the News can make a sensation out of it... they will pick it up.
And distort the facts by leaving details out for example, that the bike was illegally manipulated.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Sorry if I confused you. The cyclist looks like he was on a green the woman crossing the road was on a red

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire

Surprised it didn't all kick off after that YouTuber/TV presenter Emily Hartridge ended up under a truck on her e-scooter in the summer.
It's something the authorities will have to look at with a level head as the push to get everyone onto public transport is going to need to take into account 'environmentally friendly' last mile personal transport.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
The take away for me is that being on a derestricted bike opened up a whole different set of charges

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Funnily enough there has been a death here in NZ related to someone cleaning up a family on a cycleway. Thankfully a journalist did some investigation and referred to it as a Motorised Vehicle.

Was also a report about ebikers exceeding 50kph on a cycleway in Auckland. Someone with a bit of a clue parked his arse there and identified 3 roadies exceeding 80kph but not 1 ebike going over 30kph.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have pointed out on another thread to do with derestricting Ebikes that if you are involved in an accident and a someone is badly hurt what speed you were doing is not particularly relevant. In the case of a serious accident the bike would be impounded by the police and tested. If the bike is found to be derestricted it matters not whether that modification contributed directly to the accident. You would at the very least be fined for having no DVLA registration or insurance and not wearing a helmet, at worst subject to motor vehicle offences of careless or dangerous driving, or as in this case, causing death by dangerous driving. Whilst individuals may be prepared to take that risk, ALL E Bike riders may suffer the consequences of unwanted and probably innacurate media attention as a result. I took some flack from a few forum members for pointing that out. This case looks a bit removed from a simple derestrict in that it does appear the bike is a DIY conversion but as can be seen from the press reports it is the entire E bike category that is referred to.
p.s. For the benfit of non UK members......In the UK at least there is no offence of "jaywalking". The red or green pedestrian crossing sign is advisory not compulsory, whereas the red traffic light is compulsory. The onus is always on motorists ( which is what you are if you derestrict your bike) to avoid endangering pedestrians.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
If u run down a pedestrian, even one crossing against a red you are by definition at crummy rider who needs a bit of jail time. If u want to disregard pedestrians and punish peeps with death for their mistakes probably u need to live in the countryside alone. Yes even with the best of intentions things happen but in my mind any pedestrian anywhere is cause for concern and adjustment . And I'm an ex New Yorker who knows how to j walk with the best. And I don't stop at every red light light I've ever encountered. It's just plain inexcusable to hit a pedestrian. With or without the right of way.

JPB

Oct 20, 2019
London
So my bike is not derestricted but when going on the road I can easily exceed 15.5mph due to pedal power, am I breaking the law ? And what would happen if I hit someone. !

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Don't hit someone . That's my entire point. Somehow in Amsterdam peeps are ferrying around entire broods without helmets and traffic flows. And yes pedestrians are separated and if you step into a bike lane the rules I mentioned actually don't apply..anyway ..it's pretty rare anything bad happens because these people seemed to have nationally resolved the individual and the collective without much fuss vs the English speaking as first language world where individual vs the common good is in constant conflict. Sounds crazy to paint a picture with so wide a brush but at this moment it feels right.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles