eBike Weekly Ride - Surrey Hills - Every Tuesday 10.30am

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I've been riding with Nirvana Cycles on recommendation from a friend for the last two weeks and had an absolute blast!

They run an eBike rideout every Tuesday at 10.30am. Simon, who owns the shop, has built most of the Trails around Leith Hill and knows the whole area like the back of his hand. You'll get to see ride much of the stuff not on Trail Forks. He's just starting selling eBikes (Focus) and is himself a complete convert.

Parking outside the shop is a bit limited but follow the road up to Holy Trinity Church (Westcott Heath) and there's a car park there.

They also run two other Rideouts, Saturday at 10.30am which is Jumping practice and technique. You'll get some coaching and see some of the many Jumps and Drops on the Surrey Hills. I'm a beginner at jumping and didn't feel out of place or not welcome, Simon spent quite some time showing me the basics. I'm hooked :)

The other is a XC/Trail ride on a Sunday at 11am which is about a 4 hour ride. Different route every week. Three of us on eBike's out of about ten. Great welcoming bunch. Some fairly techy descents and climbs so I would say if you are a complete beginner you might find some of it a bit 'scary' but there's always a way around.

Details Here - Nirvana Cycles

See you there!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks for the heads up - only about 20 mins from me and been looking for some weekday rideouts - am I right in thinking its the shop opposite the green on the main road?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Yes that’s the one mate. Ask for Simon when you rock up. I’ll be there a week tomorrow so hopefully meet you then..

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Might try and get along myself.
Bit of a beginner though so a bit worried how far and fast they'll ride.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I wouldnt worry at all mate. Simon will go at your pace, he did with me on the jumping and showed me all the trails I didn’t know on the group ride individually.

Give him a call and have a chat but he’s been very accommodating to all levels.

In terms of length of ride I think it’s about 2 hours..You will honestly absolutely love it and fall further in love with your eBike (If you havent already!!)

01306 740300

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I won't make it tomorrow due to work commitments, but definitely try and make one soon

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Not sure if ill make it now due physio appointment just after lunch and getting roped into the school run in the morning. Got to from Camberley to Addlestone with kid and dog, drop son off at school, the dog back with my ex in Byfleet. Then back to Cambo. Pick the bike up and then to Westcott, ride, back home again and then to my physio might be pushing it bit.
Have a great ride.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am trying to make it, but transport the issue at the mo.

@Jonny2 If I come I will be on the hardtail, would be first proper ride on it after rebuilding her back up aside form some wet runs yesterday on local trails, take it the ride won't be caning like maniacs in a mini rampage style!?

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
I am trying to make it, but transport the issue at the mo.

@Jonny2 If I come I will be on the hardtail, would be first proper ride on it after rebuilding her back up aside form some wet runs yesterday on local trails, take it the ride won't be caning like maniacs in a mini rampage style!?
@R120 sounds like they cater for the less experienced riders.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah its more I don't want to push the bike too hard in case i haven't bolted everything up right! My fs is part dismantled to at the moment

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ok looks like transport issues sorted - I have to be back at the car by about 1 - how long is the ride usually?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Great - though I have noticed a real drop off in range since the weather has got colder, can't seem to get much more than 20 miles in trail at the moment.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just want to say massive thanks to @Jonny2 for posting this up, great ride out, Simon the shop owner is a top man, no idea where we went as Simons local knowledge was taking us to trails I didn't even know existed, and can't tell him how much I appreciated him getting me to HTFU, stick on his wheel and stop pussying around helped when I was starting to feel a bit sorry for myself!

Great to ride with you today Jon, looked like you where taking no prisoners and pushing yourself, and thanks for the donuts!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Cheers buddy. Great to ride with you.

Simon is a great guy hey, he keeps pushing me along rather than let me reject and sit in my comfort zone. Needless to say I was cacking it a bit on a couple of drops but great fun and I keep learning.

Anyone else thinking of going along it’s a great day out :)

I’ll post up some footage when I get a chance..

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
I thought I would just add a few comments to this thread.

I went along to the Saturday ride for some jumps/drops experience- I did explain I was a complete beginner beforehand.

I loved Simon's no nonsense approach- about 8 of us headed straight off and straight into some pretty hairy stuff (for me). I followed and hit some drops that on reflection were not so bad compared to what came later but way more than I would have done on my own and it immediately gave me some confidence. Possibly too much- I had a go at a tech-y trail combination that Simon was building and completely misjudged it at low speed and came off spectacularly- I am still hurting! And snapped my rear brake lever off completely.

At this point I would have bailed- through fear of having no back brake as well as limbs that felt like I'd been on a medieval rack, but Simons experience was such that it overcame my fears. He insisted everyone else do the rest of the ride without using their back brake either! They must be used to such dictats- there was barely a murmur- and I must say that getting straight back into challenging stuff was definitely the right thing for me. I hate to think of the impact on my confidence if I went home after that crash, but on we went to some drops that I would never have thought I could do. And in doing them, not very gracefully but without incident, I was absolutely buzzing. And I remained high all day.

I wonder if experienced riders have forgotten what it feels like to go over a vertical drop. I don't think I'll ever forget- my heart almost came out of my chest :) In fact the adrenaline was so strong that I temporarily couldn't think- I couldn't even find my way 30 yards back up the trail to do the drop again because my brain was still in shock. But when I did it again (and survived)- man. No better feeling I swear.

So- I'll be back as soon I possibly can and I can't recommend it enough- the trails around Leith Hill, Simon's experienced tutelage, and a welcoming wide age range of riders. I should mention here that Simon didn't charge anything but I am sure any support we can give to Nirvana Cycles would be welcome, and well deserved.

Last thought for anyone reading this as inexperienced on a MTB as me: after the EMTB ride out with Rob and the guys at Afan, and with Simon on Saturday, I have finally, definitely, seen some real improvement in my riding. This is after a year of scuffing around on my own and getting nowhere. So do whatever it takes to get out with other people, and I hope to see you there

(y)

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
So glad you enjoyed it! I’ve learnt more in three weeks than I did in 3 years hacking around on my own :)

Oh, and if you go on a group ride you get 10% off purchases and work on your bike (It’s credit on your next purchase).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Great post, he had me doing stuff on the hardtail that I wouldn't even have considered doing usually unless I was on my FS!

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
I cannot imagine doing any of that ride on a hard tail... Hope to see you there guys- I am waiting for a replacement brake lever from Germany :cautious:

Biscuit

Mar 24, 2018
Surrey
This sounds just what I’ve been looking for as an inexperienced rider, who would love to discover the Surrey hills, with some coaching along the way, and supporting Nirvana along the way.

Which ride would you recommend I start with ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles