eBike no.2: SCOTT Scale 40 2010 with a Bafang BBS02B installed

Rawnei

Jul 28, 2020
Sweden
So this is not your ordinary show your bike thread.

I am super satisfied with my hybrid ebike for long road trips but I wanted something for the trails and my old SCOTT Scale 40 2010 model was collecting dust in the basement so why not just rekit it as an ebike? ?

Said and done ordered a Bafang BBS02B 750w 48v kit with a 850c display and a matching 17.5Ah battery for a wopping 840Wh capacity! Not at all costly really, good value for your money.

The main snag I encountered was that my bottle holder was too far down on the frame to fit the battery so I had to order a Bottle Bob mount, also I had to solder contacts on the cables between the engine and battery, I've never soldered before so just bought a cheap soldering iron, watched youtube and learned how to solder in a day! Overall the rest of the mounting and installation wasn't all that difficult or time consuming, I'm satisfied with the results:

SCOTT_BBS02B.jpg

Took my first test ride on a gnarly trail yesterday, lots of roots and rocks but that was no problem at all for this beast. ?

Since the Bafang doesn't have a cadence sensor it feels a bit different than my Bosch hybrid, less natural more like you are getting pushed by a force, it's different but not bad, it's very responsive, I also reprogrammed the controller with an USB cable to lower the current to spare the controller and bike a bit more and tweaked some other settings. I've also installed a thumb throttle handle that came with it which I most likely will use very sparesly.

I've also ordered a Lekkie Bling Ring to get a better chain line with less offset and strain on the chain but haven't received it yet, the stock 42T Bafang chainring works for now. ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

I am super satisfied with my hybrid ebike for long road trips but I wanted something for the trails and my old SCOTT Scale 40 2010 model was collecting dust in the basement so why not just rekit it as an ebike? ?

Said and done ordered a Bafang BBS02B 750w 48v kit with a 850c display and a matching 17.5Ah battery for a wopping 840Wh capacity! Not at all costly really, good value for your money.

The main snag I encountered was that my bottle holder was too far down on the frame to fit the battery so I had to order a Bottle Bob mount, also I had to solder contacts on the cables between the engine and battery, I've never soldered before so just bought a cheap soldering iron, watched youtube and learned how to solder in a day! Overall the rest of the mounting and installation wasn't all that difficult or time consuming, I'm satisfied with the results:

Took my first test ride on a gnarly trail yesterday, lots of roots and rocks but that was no problem at all for this beast. ?

Since the Bafang doesn't have a cadence sensor it feels a bit different than my Bosch hybrid, less natural more like you are getting pushed by a force, it's different but not bad, it's very responsive, I also reprogrammed the controller with an USB cable to lower the current to spare the controller and bike a bit more and tweaked some other settings. I've also installed a thumb throttle handle that came with it which I most likely will use very sparesly.

I've also ordered a Lekkie Bling Ring to get a better chain line with less offset and strain on the chain but haven't received it yet, the stock 42T Bafang chainring works for now. ?
I have a 2012 scott scale 50. It's such a lightweight bike for a conversion like that. Nice to see something different.

Rawnei

Jul 28, 2020
Sweden
Looks good . How much did it cost ? And how much does it weigh?

Don't know how to exactly translate the total cost, I bought a bunch of tools and accessories and what not but the motor and battery was $785 from pswpower, that's with free shipping (in europe) and includes display, throttle, brake sensors and some tools. I recommend getting a shift sensor and a programming cable as well.

The motor weighs around 3.5-3.7kg I believe, the battery I'm not sure but similar to the motor.

ALLMTN

Aug 21, 2020
Northern Califonia

View attachment 37973

Awesome job . The bike looks great , and has massive power I am sure. Enjoy the trails.

Rawnei

Jul 28, 2020
Sweden
Awesome job . The bike looks great , and has massive power I am sure. Enjoy the trails.

Thanks! It's a pretty fun bike to ride and it really does pack a punch, on trails it's a tank and on roads it's a rocket. ?

I've changed tires to new Magic Mary tiers running lower pressure and I also reprogrammed the engine controller. Went from 9 assist modes to 5 (9 was a bit excessive) and found a sweet-spot for each mode that works for me, mode 1-2 works well both for trails and just cruising on roads, 3-5 on roads or steep hills depending how much of a boost you want.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles