Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
@oripaamoni Can you please send me images also when it is connected to the bike with value variants:
- Battery level + assist mode description
- Battery level + assist mode as one number (biggest font)

It will help me to report issue to Garmin.

Also please try layout variant, when Ebike Field have full width of screen to see if it will be better on edge 530. Thanks

I will grab some picture of the other configurations tomorrow.

IMG_0803.jpg

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
@Fiambre I am afraid that no, Shimano doesn't have by default ANT+ connectivity if something didn't change recently.

Yeah I still think it's not possible to use the Garmin ANT connection to get Shimano data :( Although I'm hopeful their (yet to be released) Bluetooth software for CIQ might allow Garmin devices to read some values from Shimano e-bikes.

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
My Garmin 520 locked up twice today on my 50 mile non eBike ride. Once after a half hour break. Is it constantly searching to connect to an eBike? I am going to remove it and see what happens tomorrow on a 70 mile no eBike ride.

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
Hello, I just released 2.0 version of Ebike Field!

Changelog:
- added compatibility with lots of new Garmin devices
- major update of ANT+ connectivity module
- multi bike/battery pairing support (Premium)
- added indicator of enabled premium mode (--P--)
- fixed freezing issue
- fixed crash when PIN is added but not email

So, all of you with more batteries or bikes, you can now pair more than one, so no more of changing settings in the middle of the ride! (@Plumbr , @Hannes_3000 )
Please note that app tries to find devices one by one - so for example third device is started to be searched after about 40 seconds after app was started.

Also there were several reports about "freezing problem" - mainly on device Edge 130. Can somebody please verify that it is not the issue anymore? (@etoni , @eabmex )

I also added --P-- indicator showing that app is running in premium mode before it connect to ebike. Can please all of you with Premium version check if the P is showed properly for you and let me know if not? I am not sure, if all devices can show this character. :unsure: Thanks

Lots of changes were applied also to Nerd Style version.

Enjoy!
I am very happy to report that the field does not longer freeze on a Garmin explore 1000.

Thank you! @JanCapek

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
I removed the eBike field for my 70 mile ride and no issues! While I was telling the story to my buddy who has the field on his 520, His froze up. There is an issue with 520 compatibility when it can't find the ebike.

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
Hi @JanCapek
I would like to ask you to evaluate the development of a new data field that shows, in real time, the motor assistance or the motor and cyclist power. The ideal would be to have something similar to the assist gauge available on the Shimano e-steps display. Assist gauge is point (C)
1560434371285.png

(C) Assist gauge Displays the assistance

Being able to see how motor assistance we are using could help people save some battery power.

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
@balbo the field does display the power setting! Off / Eco / Trail / Turbo along with the battery percentage.

@JanCapek have you addressed my posts? Your field causes the Garmin 520 to freeze when it is not connected to an Ebike.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@balbo interesting idea, thank you. There is one major problem. Specialized stripped data provided by new Levo via ANT+ connectivity, so I can imagine something similar working only for older bikes. And I am not keen to spend lots of development time to app working only with Levos which are not in market anymore. On another hand, all is not lost yet, as I am planning to analyse completely different approach how to get data from the bikes in the future. If I will be successful, I will consider your idea!

@VeloMikey sad to hear about mentioned problems, thanks for your report. But I am afraid that it is not problem of my app but issue of unstable firmware of edge 520, where Garmin is the one to be blamed. Yes, the app keep trying to search for ebike when not connected, but this shouldn't cause any issue for the device. Its the purpose of this datafield to be connected to ebike, there is no reason to stop searching for it. I would do some more tests in this area to check if there isn't any workaround to this, but no promises. BTW do you know if this was happening before version 2.0?

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
@VeloMikey i am already using ebike app! Apart of the assist mode ( eco/trail/turbo ) i would like to have a bar indicator that shows me how much assistance ( 1 to 100% ) from motor i am using.
For example, Shimano steps shows that i am in "Boost" (D) mode and i am using only 1/3 of the motor power (C)

1560441679575.png

but if i will start to push on cranks, i will receive more assistance from motor and the bar (C) will show that

1560442130007.png

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Eckythump well my apps have implemented ANT+ LEV connectivity standard. Unfortunately I am yet to find other bike manufacturer than Specialized, where my apps works. @mark.ai tried to connect my apps to shimano via some accessory, but he wasn't successful and I can't test it personally. If new bikes with Shimano have ANT+ embedded from factory, it will be great to have it tested. I would love to increase compatibility of the apps to different bikes.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
From the manual it only broadcasts limited info:-

ANT connection The wireless unit transmits the following information to the cycle computer. • Battery level • Front and rear derailleur gear positions • Adjustment value

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Shimano use their own custom/weird version of ANT wireless communication unfortunately, which makes it hard for anyone to get values from it. Garmin don't (yet) expose the data they get from Shimano e-bikes to CIQ developers, but hopefully they will in the future if they see there is enough interest :)

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@mark.ai interesting! Do you know some more details about this - optimally some specs document of their ANT profile? If I will know how the Shimano communicate via ANT, I should be able to make it work. I am not using any ebike template from Garmin - I implemented ANT+ LEV profile on my own. I can communicate with anything if I know definition of its ANT profile, so I don't need to wait till Garmin expose something to me - I only need info how target device communicate.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Will have to look again. My watch doesn’t appear to support apps.

Edit: There is an updated Vivoactive HR, mine is the earlier HR+

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
@mark.ai interesting! Do you know some more details about this - optimally some specs document of their ANT profile? If I will know how the Shimano communicate via ANT, I should be able to make it work. I am not using any ebike template from Garmin - I implemented ANT+ LEV profile on my own. I can communicate with anything if I know definition of its ANT profile, so I don't need to wait till Garmin expose something to me - I only need info how target device communicate.

You didn't want to ask that question, as now you have to watch this video! I came across it recently and it's very interesting, but beyond my knowledge to reproduce :) I'm not sure it's possible to use the CIQ ANT code to communicate with this, but see what you think:

He provides a link to a GitHub project too.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Ok I recently got an 830 and installed the app on here.

I am a little confused...I got it to work for about 5 minutes but was unhappy with how small the font was so I went to change the number of fields showing in the display and the ebike display reverted back to - - P - - . Now I can’t get it to connect back to show the battery level and assist level. Can anyone help?

I have attached photos of what I am seeing. First photo shows the sensors that were enabled. I deleted them and started over.

Second photo shows the - - P - - and the last one shows the sensors that are available to add. The first sensor with a bike icon that previously worked for 5 min is no longer showing up as an sensor.

Any ideas?

Thanks

46D0746E-C4FB-4478-8B37-A589B5DE118F.jpeg

FEDB2F39-0376-45EA-8D4B-8BA92E77D885.jpeg

929AA760-A8E5-4489-81EC-B3254EFB8C1B.jpeg

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
Hi,

As i am new to the e-mtb field, please excuse me if my question seems obvious but i can't find the answer anywhere.

I bought a e-mtb with Shimano DU-E8000 engine and Shimano SC-E7000 display. It has mechanical gears, not Di2.
Now.. the SC-E7000 has bluetooth and ANT connectivity. I paired the phone with the display without any problem, but i can not pair my Garmin Fenix 5 or Garmin Edge 520 Plus with my bike. I tried everything i can think of.

Is there a way to pair my watch and/or GPS to the bike or i have to wait for some miraculous updates? I already updated the SC-E7000 to the latest FW which says it improves ANT connectivity :rolleyes:

@JanCapek I also tried your apps/data fields and donated of course as it is always good to support those who work magic for us (y), but neither the app or the data/field can find the bike....

Thank you

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hello,

@Momo Shimano seems to not use standardised communication protokol and instead use some different with non-public specification. Because of that, for now - the apps are unable to connect to such Shimano accessory.

I am curious to know if at least newest Garmins can connect to such ebike setup via Di2 or ebike sensor settings. Is there somebody who can try it?

@AML I didn't reply to your last mail because I was confident it will start working for you after next try. You can even enable again sensors for speed/cadence and power - they should not interfere with communication of ebike specific data.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
@JanCapek - I should have kept quiet. Today it is back to only displaying - - P - - . I tried rebooting the bike and the Garmin several times although I didn’t restart my phone.

I am guessing I should just forget it unless you have another suggestion? I mean the Levo display shows me the info I need (just not in percentages) a few inches below it...

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
i have 130 and no problems. I only have it showing the battery percentage. originally had the ebike from garmin IQ and updated that and they have a new specialized specific app. Does what I need

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
I added the sensor for the Garmin remote after it started to work. Is that sensor preventing the Garmin from displaying the battery and assistance level properly?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles