Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi @etoni , I am investigating this problem, so far it seems that only edge 1000 and edge 130 are affected and it is problem of Garmin firmware. I will speak with Garmin folks about it but can't promise anything now. :-/

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@etoni Thanks for the info. Can you please confirm that both of you doesn't have installed also Specialized datafield? If yes, can you please try to run Ebike Field with datafield from Specialized uninstalled? This will help me understand the issue. Thanks

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
@etoni Thanks for the info. Can you please confirm that both of you doesn't have installed also Specialized datafield? If yes, can you please try to run Ebike Field with datafield from Specialized uninstalled? This will help me understand the issue. Thanks
sorry no specialized field installed! i got trailforks and wickilog.

andykent

Mar 12, 2019
Oetz, Austria
Hi Jan, good app, like the idea of this linking the bike to the Garmin, is there anyway you could program it to work over a bluetooth connection? Seems the Giant connectivity is not through ANT and only through bluetooth.

Thanks

Plumbr

Sep 11, 2018
Australia
Hi JanCapek
Really really love using yr app on my garmin Fenix 5X Plus. Works Perfect! :)

Question......
I own a 2019 levo and 2019 Kenevo expert.
I swap between the bikes a few times during the week and sometimes even the same day on weekends.
Is there a way I can pair to both bikes without me having to reset the Paired deviceID Field every time I change bikes.
Can both IDs be remembered and connect to the first one it sees????
Changing it all the time is not the most fun process ha ha

Thanks Peter

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@andykent Unfortunately no, I can't connect via bluetooth from the app due to Garmin limitations for now. If this will change in the future, I will definitely think about it!

@Plumbr I am happy to hear this, thanks! :) I know changing IDs often is not pleasant, so I am planning to implement support of more bikes/batteries. I only can't promise any time-frame now. So stay tuned!

dabbler

Feb 21, 2019
Scotland
@andykent Unfortunately no, I can't connect via bluetooth from the app due to Garmin limitations for now. If this will change in the future, I will definitely think about it!

@Plumbr I am happy to hear this, thanks! :) I know changing IDs often is not pleasant, so I am planning to implement support of more bikes/batteries. I only can't promise any time-frame now. So stay tuned!
Will this app work with Shimano e8000 motor and if so how do you connect it?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hello, I just released 2.0 version of Ebike Field!

Changelog:
- added compatibility with lots of new Garmin devices
- major update of ANT+ connectivity module
- multi bike/battery pairing support (Premium)
- added indicator of enabled premium mode (--P--)
- fixed freezing issue
- fixed crash when PIN is added but not email

So, all of you with more batteries or bikes, you can now pair more than one, so no more of changing settings in the middle of the ride! (@Plumbr , @Hannes_3000 )
Please note that app tries to find devices one by one - so for example third device is started to be searched after about 40 seconds after app was started.

Also there were several reports about "freezing problem" - mainly on device Edge 130. Can somebody please verify that it is not the issue anymore? (@etoni , @eabmex )

I also added --P-- indicator showing that app is running in premium mode before it connect to ebike. Can please all of you with Premium version check if the P is showed properly for you and let me know if not? I am not sure, if all devices can show this character. :unsure: Thanks

Lots of changes were applied also to Nerd Style version.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
So, all of you with more batteries or bikes, you can now pair more than one, so no more of changing settings in the middle of the ride! (@Plumbr , @Hannes_3000 )
Please note that app tries to find devices one by one - so for example third device is started to be searched after about 40 seconds after app was started.

Hi Jan, that's great news!
Does the field synch with new batteries automatically or do I have to change settings in Garmin Express first (set battery ID to "0"). Any chance that it will be possible in the future to just add all existing batteries via the "Paired Device" field in Garmin express?

Cheers
a.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Hannes_3000 Hi, that is what you can do already! Just add first ID to first settings field and rest of IDs separated by comma to "Additional bike/battery IDs" field. Then the datafield will try to connect to them by searching for them one-by-one.

If you add 0 to first field, app will do auto-pair and save connected device as before.

You can now also use trick to put 0 to additional IDs field - this will cause, that app connects to any battery/bike, but without auto-pairing, so It will connect to any available device every time it is launched. I would not recommend that though, you can easily get data from bike of somebody else without knowing. :)

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Hm, that's strange, I don't have that field "Additionalbike/battery IDs". I only have the usual 4 fields -> "Paired device...", "Premium functions...", "Email used..." and "Value shown...".
I synchronized my Garmin (Garmin Edge 820) a couple of times via Garmin Express but nothing seems to change. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to delete the datafield from my device and then re-download / re-install?

Note: I can see the --P-- indicator on my Garmin device, so I guess I do have the new version on the device at least...

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Ah, damn Garmin - this will be just another bug on their side. Yes, please try to uninstall and install it again and hopefully you will then get also updated settings from their server. :-/

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
@JanCapek Just wanted to let you know that I double-checked with my second Garmin device (fenix3). There the additional field shows up in Garmin Express (below the original fields). Not for the Edge820 though... Will try to uninstall/re-install now and see if that helps...

Update: uninstall/re-install did the trick. Field is there now and can be edited!

One additional question though: do the battery IDs always have to be 5-digit? I'm asking as the old levo IDs were 4-digit only (up to MY18) and then became 5-digit for MY19.

Last edited:

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Cool! And thanks a lot Jan for the effort you're putting into this. That battery ID update is really highly appreciated at least from my side, will help me a lot. 2 levos with 2 batteries each, that always was a bit of a hazzle. Just perfect now (y):D

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Haha, I didn't expect that somebody will have use case with more than three paired IDs. :) I already had plan to lower time for ANT module to search for one device. I must do it in some next update, I believe it should be safe. You will have to wait some time now to get connected to your battery from the end of the list. But still better than to be forced to update settings every time manually I think. :)

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Just a quick thanks from me. I use the basic set up on my fenix/kenevo set up for mode and battery level and it works well

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
I successfully set it up on my Edge 520! How do I get it to show battery percentage in one field and power level in one field? It has both batter and power in one field. When I configure it for 2 or more fields, I get the same data in all fields. I have one page with percent and power level 3 times! I really would like to stack the field with battery on top and power level below. Thanks in advance!

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Lots of new compatible watches with new 2.1.0 update of Ebike Field - Nerd Style, enjoy!

EbikeField_NerdStyle_MARQ.png

Last edited:

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
Thank you for the update! I have this working well on my 530, One request if possible is to increase the text size when displaying both fields in the small box. On my 520 it was nice and readable on the 530 the percentage and mode are tiny.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@oripaamoni Hi, Ebike Field is designed to be universal in the way, that Garmin system itself handle size of the fonts based on the used layout and whether it is plain number or text. For this reason, I can't affect size by myself. Please play with the configuration options, there are variants how to show both info as one single number for this reason. Or you can also complain to Garmin that they control size of the fonts wrong. :-o Can you send me picture to PM to see how small it is please? Thanks

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
My 520 has been buggy ever since the install. First eMTB ride was okay (short) but on a 50 mile non ebike road ride the 520 froze twice. Battery died in the middle of eMTB ride last night so I need to do more testing on longer eMTB rides.

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
@oripaamoni Hi, Ebike Field is designed to be universal in the way, that Garmin system itself handle size of the fonts based on the used layout and whether it is plain number or text. For this reason, I can't affect size by myself. Please play with the configuration options, there are variants how to show both info as one single number for this reason. Or you can also complain to Garmin that they control size of the fonts wrong. :-o Can you send me picture to PM to see how small it is please? Thanks
wasn't able to get it connect today, but you can still tell by the size of the "--P--"

IMG_0372.jpg

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@oripaamoni Uf, that is really tiny - well done Garmin. :-o This is clearly bug on their side. I will try to report them this issue, thanks for the image. Before it is fixed, please try to choose in the setting variant with number only, it should be bigger once it will load the data. You can change this settings while datafield is loaded, so you will immediately see the change.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@oripaamoni Can you please send me images also when it is connected to the bike with value variants:
- Battery level + assist mode description
- Battery level + assist mode as one number (biggest font)

It will help me to report issue to Garmin.

Also please try layout variant, when Ebike Field have full width of screen to see if it will be better on edge 530. Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles