Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
@dan3344 good point. At the time I had the PWX it did not transmit any other data then power, cadence and speed, and that were the only ones I captured with my Garmin (without IQapp). The battery juice left was displayed as bar on the build in Yamaha display (integrated in ahead)
or you could select it to be displayed as number in die second row (instead of ODO,...) View attachment 7635
ok..too bad the New Trance E+ does not comes with display.. anyway..thanks for giving so much information.

Thomas B.

Oct 21, 2018
Metten17!
@dan3344 final feedback from me... the trance e+ 2019 should be equipped with the "giant ride control one". there should be "LED´s which indicate the remaining power and the assist mode.

There are some Yamaha displays, but they may not work due to firmware modifications made on the giant bikes.
DISPLAY & SWITCH : PW-X
Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-14 um 14.48.09.png

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Hi.
With recent installed e-bike field I've experienced several "freeze" of the field during ride and the data is not always transferred into Garmin files.

With "freeze" I mean that the field is stop working, only showing old static value of battery level/mode. Need to restart Edge and get re-connected.

Others that have the same issue?

Garmin Edge 1000 with latest sw.

Thomas B.

Oct 21, 2018
Metten17!
No Problems on my Fenix 5X+ (firmware 5.1-6.51BETA) and Edge520. (firmware12.8-12.9)
I had only 1 strange occurrence on my 520 on which it did not find the bike (no data at all) but after a power cycle of the 520 everything was working.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi all, I made some experimental update of Ebike Diagnostics (version 1.1.1). Can please somebody with Levo FSR 2019 who have Premium PIN code for my apps test if latest version of Ebike Diagnostics now load also extended information about battery such as battery voltage, number of charging cycles or current energy (fuel) consumption?

These info will not load immediately, so please leave connection with bike for at least half a minute to check the values (if it will work at all).

Thank you!

EDIT: So the test sadly shown that Levo 2019 FSR indeed doesn't provide extended battery info over ANT+ like older Specialized ebikes. :confused:

@hbakken That is strange, so those freezes recover only with restart of whole device? Ebike field doesn't show "--" even after while to indicate lost connection? Others ANT sensors are still loaded properly during this problem?

Last edited:

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
Hi.
With recent installed e-bike field I've experienced several "freeze" of the field during ride and the data is not always transferred into Garmin files.

With "freeze" I mean that the field is stop working, only showing old static value of battery level/mode. Need to restart Edge and get re-connected.

Others that have the same issue?

Garmin Edge 1000 with latest sw.
Same issue here on my 130, for me its very repeatable. eBike field works for the first min or so and then freezes, cadence and other ant+ fields from the bike continue to work,

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@oripaamoni Hmm, that is weird. :unsure: Thanks for report. So you also see only old value when it is freezed? The dash wasn't shown during these events? Can you please share with me one of affected activities? Thanks!

@Highflyer Thanks and enjoy! :)

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I am also experiencing the same issue of "freezing", the display for both assist and battery level just remain the same, never shows "-" , the ant+ hrm continues to work. If the unit goes into sleep mode it freezes for sure but I also get random freezes. The only way to make it work again is to turn off the Garmin and then turn it on again. As mentioned above when this happens the values are not recorded on the Connect file. I am using a 2019 Levo and Edge explore 1000.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
So for everyone who experience this problem only restart of the EDGE will help to get it working again? Does it happen on every ride for you guys (or how often)? I will try to do more test on EDGE 1000 and I hope I will be able to replicate the problem. :unsure:

Do you all have Levos 2019 or somebody experience this problem even with 2018 Levo? Thanks

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
So for everyone who experience this problem only restart of the EDGE will help to get it working again? Does it happen on every ride for you guys (or how often)? I will try to do more test on EDGE 1000 and I hope I will be able to replicate the problem. :unsure:

Do you all have Levos 2019 or somebody experience this problem even with 2018 Levo? Thanks

I would say every second ride for me... So removed it from my display on Edge 1000.

Will see if I can find some of the Garmin files for you (if I can remember which rides).

After I've removed it from the display (not uninstalled it from Garmin.) a positive thing happened for me.... It still wrote the assist level the the fit file so I could see it on Garmin connect and sporttracks. However that worked only for a while.... Now can't connect it again at all.
Sorry, sp for me the e-bike field has been working randomly :cry:

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego

For me when I would restart my edge 130 it would work for a minute or two and then freeze up (2019 Levo) I returned the edge 130 and now have a 520 plus and It works great with no freezing data issues. I sent a donation a few days ago, how do I go about obtaining the pin?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Thanks for reports guys. I will continue to investigate it. It seems as garmin firmware problem for your particular devices though, so not sure whether I will be able to do something with it. I tested ebike field on edge 1000, so same device as @hbakken have and no issues. :unsure:

@oripaamoni I sent it on Friday already. Can you please check your spam folder and let me know if you found it?

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
Thanks for reports guys. I will continue to investigate it. It seems as garmin firmware problem for your particular devices though, so not sure whether I will be able to do something with it. I tested ebike field on edge 1000, so same device as @hbakken have and no issues. :unsure:

@oripaamoni I sent it on Friday already. Can you please check your spam folder and let me know if you found it?
my bad, found it! Thank you.

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Hi @JanCapek - any plans for adding more data to the Garmin TCX file? Meaning power and cadence first of all.
For me it's not working properly to connect Garmin with the ant+ sensors of the bike. Getting real strange values as described earlier. Have testet Blevo, and that app seems to give me the info I want about rider and motor power. However... it's not an integrated IQ-connect app like yours. I'll continue using my Garmin for recording rides.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi @hbakken , this is not planned. To record power and cadence is Garmin's job and fixing their issues can't be in the scope of Ebike Fields. o_O Even if I read power data directly via Ebike Field, I can't integrate that information to Garmin Connect for further data processing of for example training levels. Sorry for this negative answer, but I want to cover more ebike-related features with future updates rather than reinventing the wheel.

Porkyford

Feb 21, 2019
Edinburgh
@bekolu More that what? I am not sure about you, but that is what I am talking about here. :)

BTW quick update to all with recent app update:
- Ebike Diagnostics now support almost every Connect IQ capable Garmin device, so you can even change speed-limit from your watch if necessary. ;) Plus there were other minor improvements and fixes.
Will it work with a fenix 3HR?

Porkyford

Feb 21, 2019
Edinburgh
Hello,

as I also ride Turbo Levo and likes to ride with my Garmin instead of smartphone, I developed applications specifically for ebikes which communicates via ANT+ connectivity (which all Turbo Levos supports) without need to be setting up any fake-channel. So, in case somebody is interested in similar setup, here are they:

Ebike Field behave like simple datafield which you can configure to your preferred screen layout. It can show both battery level and current assist mode and it supports wide range of Garmin devices (EDGE and watches). You can even configure what and how it should be shown on screen. Additionally it support to render graphs of battery state and used assist mode during whole activity to Garmin Connect, which is perfect for evaluating your battery consumption.

Ebike Field "Nerd Style" does the same as first app but is specifically for watches and tries to maximize number of information on watch screen while remaining usable. It is even able to remind you in case you are off your preloaded route/course and you can reconfigure shown metrics on screen in app settings via Garmin Connect Mobile app.

Ebike Diagnostics is app with ability to read lots of useful information from bike and is even able to change bike wheel circumference. Unfortunately, no full support for new 2019 FSR Levo. This app is only for my donators.

More detailed description of all applications can be found under provided links on Garmin Connect IQ app store. More interesting features are on the way. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

View attachment 6381
View attachment 5538
View attachment 6382
View attachment 5977
Does nerd style work on fenix 3HR? I can’t find it in the store...

Porkyford

Feb 21, 2019
Edinburgh
Hello,

as I also ride Turbo Levo and likes to ride with my Garmin instead of smartphone, I developed applications specifically for ebikes which communicates via ANT+ connectivity (which all Turbo Levos supports) without need to be setting up any fake-channel. So, in case somebody is interested in similar setup, here are they:

Ebike Field behave like simple datafield which you can configure to your preferred screen layout. It can show both battery level and current assist mode and it supports wide range of Garmin devices (EDGE and watches). You can even configure what and how it should be shown on screen. Additionally it support to render graphs of battery state and used assist mode during whole activity to Garmin Connect, which is perfect for evaluating your battery consumption.

Ebike Field "Nerd Style" does the same as first app but is specifically for watches and tries to maximize number of information on watch screen while remaining usable. It is even able to remind you in case you are off your preloaded route/course and you can reconfigure shown metrics on screen in app settings via Garmin Connect Mobile app.

Ebike Diagnostics is app with ability to read lots of useful information from bike and is even able to change bike wheel circumference. Unfortunately, no full support for new 2019 FSR Levo. This app is only for my donators.

More detailed description of all applications can be found under provided links on Garmin Connect IQ app store. More interesting features are on the way. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

View attachment 6381
View attachment 5538
View attachment 6382
View attachment 5977
For the nerd version do I now have to buy a fenix 5....!? ?‍♂️

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Eeh (bah gum) biker Hi, basic Ebike Field (seen running on EDGE in first post) will work without problem, you can easily check it by yourself if you have watch already.

I use this simple rubber mount. Nothing fancy, but works perfectly and there are even cheaper alternatives available.

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Sorry for this negative answer, but I want to cover more ebike-related features with future updates rather than reinventing the wheel.

That's understandable :)

btw: ebike-field now works without "freeze" on my edge 1000. I completely uninstalled the specialized IQ field from my Garmin.

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
@Eeh (bah gum) biker Hi, basic Ebike Field (seen running on EDGE in first post) will work without problem, you can easily check it by yourself if you have watch already.

I use this simple rubber mount. Nothing fancy, but works perfectly and there are even cheaper alternatives available.

Hi Jan ,
I have bought the Garmin forerunner and the Vivo active 3 is working well. Just one final thing, will I be able to get speed on one of the displays with my set up ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles