Ebike for very tall rider. Orbea Wild?

marekkuzian

Jul 10, 2020
uk
Hey all, haven't got my bike yet so still on a search mission. Any one tall riding commencal meta power XL (500/625) or Mondraker Crafty XL (510/640) or Whyte E-150 / 160 in XL (505/642)? Seems those may cater for tall folk?

All failing, would probably aim for the yt Decoy XXL

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Hey all, haven't got my bike yet so still on a search mission. Any one tall riding commencal meta power XL (500/625) or Mondraker Crafty XL (510/640) or Whyte E-150 / 160 in XL (505/642)? Seems those may cater for tall folk?

All failing, would probably aim for the yt Decoy XXL
I’m riding a Commencal Meta Power XL, what would you like to know?

Dec 18, 2019
UK
If you're around six and a half feet, like me, you'll also likely to be in excess of 100kg's, unless you're built like a drain rod. To that end, you'll need to be aware of the weight limits for these bikes. Watch out for the Lapierre's, Trek's and - rather unfortunately - Focus' Sam2, as you need to be under 95kg's to ride one.
Another helpful measurement is the ETT. If you look at the Moustache Game for instance, in XL it's only got 654mm, which results in a Reach of only 462mm, which will leave you feeling very cramped in the cockpit. You need to watch out for steep seat tubes when considering this also. Take Spesh's Kenevo with a long reach. Unfortunately, it's got a very steep seat tube, which shortens the ETT and makes the cockpit feel very cramped. Norco suffers this same issue with their bikes. I test rode the Whyte a couple of years back, but also found they came up small.
Focus's new Sam 2 has all the right geometry for a tall rider, as mentioned by Rob Hancil, but it has a hopeless maximum rider weight limit. The current pick of the crop for roomy cockpits are Kona 136kg, Santa Cruz 136kg, Nicolai 150kg, Mondraker 126kg, Orange 126kg and take a look at the new Bulls Sonic ENS as it has geometry akin ton the Focus Sam2, but i've not found a rider weight limit listed for this bike as yet.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I would probably look elsewhere as they do size up small. A few of the review's i have read says if you are taller forgot it. Iam 5.8 usually a medium and have a large orbea FS wild ordered and felt perfect for me. So i reckon over 6 foot might start to feel a little cramped on a XL ?

wow, I’m 5’8.5” and tried Large and S/M. I couldn’t hit the ground with dropper post all the way down on Large. I can manage but it’s a big bike. I ended with S/M and felt great. My jeans inseam is 31

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
I'm 6foot3 and can only say that 500mm reach should be a minimum for you.

I sat on a 2020 Kenevo XL and it feels miles bigger than my Giant Trance E+
Hello, I'm 6'2" and thinking about the new Trance X E+3 in XL.
This would be my first XL frame though, what size is your Trance and are you happy with it?

Thanks
Mark...

marekkuzian

Jul 10, 2020
uk
Thanks for quick feedback ! I'm just under 100kgs so some of these would still work. Strange though that the XL frames can only take folk up to a 100.

I'm testing the crafty XL this weekend so see how that feels - apparently is a quite big bike.
Need to stay at around £5k mark so the Santa Cruz is off limits.

@ trail-niels, how you like the fit of the XL metapower? 6'7 would work?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Thanks, you are helping me a lot.

The kenevo is Sold out in Spain in S5 XL, the Moncdraker is a serius candidate forme Level and Crafty are similar geos. And also que Ghost SL AMR hace a big reach and Stack 498 and 683mm .
Hybride SL AMR S8.7 E-MTB E-Fully GHOST-Bikes

I will look for Començal but I think is not possible to uncut the fork...

Is a hard work t find a Big ebike!" thanks a lot

A Table with reach +stack of 25 bikes:

View attachment 24091
Wish I had a clue what any of this meant! ?. I’m 6ft with a large Wild and it’s perfect for me

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Hello, I'm 6'2" and thinking about the new Trance X E+3 in XL.
This would be my first XL frame though, what size is your Trance and are you happy with it?

Thanks
Mark...

XL will the right size for you - I have an XL and its fine, perhaps could a little longer in the reach.

Overall I'm happy with the bike, few niggles being a 2019 model which were address in the 2020 Giant line up - for the $$$ it's tough to beat.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
XL will the right size for you - I have an XL and its fine, perhaps could a little longer in the reach.

Overall I'm happy with the bike, few niggles being a 2019 model which were address in the 2020 Giant line up - for the $$$ it's tough to beat.
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated...

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
If your 6'6" go with anything over 500mm reach if you can. I'm 6'7" and had quite a few super big bikes over the years (I've had GG make me custom super sized Megatrail, GGDH, and Pedalhead). I'm currently on an XXL Tallboy (515mm reach) as my main acoustic bike and XXL Decoy as my ebike. The Decoy is definitely a bit on the short side, but it works (there weren't any bigger options when I bought it). High bars (50mm+ rise) and longer stem (70mm) helps a bit. The most comfortable bike I ever had was my custom Megatrail with a 525mm reach (and crazy high bars). I can't tell you the amount of tall guys I've had tell me "Oh ya I don't need a bigger bike my 470-480mm reach bike feels fine", then they'd hop on my megatrail and immediately take those words back, ha ha.

Steeper seat angles are a good thing for climbing.

This is not strictly true. It depends on your body geometry. If you are tall typically steep STA doesn't work because you have long femurs and it puts your knee too far in front of your pedal, resulting in knee pain. There's a reason road bike have all converged on essentially the same STA, because it's the right one.

Ok, i'm 1.98m and 108kg's. Not only is the reach and stack important, but the all up rider weight limit is crucial too. Being on the larger size, you're best avoiding anything made of carbon, as weight limits are around 90-95kg.

Just bad advice, not true at all. Carbon is not inherently weaker than Aluminum. Very few frames these days have meaningful weight limits unless you're super fat. I've broken far more Aluminum frames than carbon ones. And the aluminum bikes were known for being some of the most durable models in the industry!

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Just bad advice, not true at all. Carbon is not inherently weaker than Aluminum. Very few frames these days have meaningful weight limits unless you're super fat. I've broken far more Aluminum frames than carbon ones. And the aluminum bikes were known for being some of the most durable models in the industry!
[/QUOTE]

I've seen a few big riders suffer catastrophic failures with carbon frames, resulting in serious injuries. The issue with them is that you can't see a lot of damage, as they're probe to break down internally. At least with alloy frames, you'll see cracks appearing, giving you a chance to stop riding the frame before it snaps. I'm just saying beware. I've ridden the SC Heckler and rather liked it, so i'm waiting for a full on, long travel, 29er version to come out, which may then be on my purchase list, so i'm no anti-carbon and only passing on my experience as a heads up, not bad advice.

marekkuzian

Jul 10, 2020
uk
Btw, I have demo'ed the Mondraker Crafty XL on the weekend - awesome bike but was a bit cramped even with the 51o reach - would have to extend Riser/Stem to suit. Not ideal

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Btw, I have demo'ed the Mondraker Crafty XL on the weekend - awesome bike but was a bit cramped even with the 51o reach - would have to extend Riser/Stem to suit. Not ideal

Have you tried a Level? Would appreciate your thoughts on the fit, as the geo gives you more stack, a 25mm longer front centre and runs a short stem of 30mm, so you could easily double that and maintain good steering. My Trail Pistol came with 40mm and I upped it to 55mm when I picked it up and it made a big difference to the roominess of the cockpit. Keeping your SA under 76 degrees will also help here. If you sit on a Kenevo, with its 77 degree SA, it feels very cramped despite the long reach.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas

Hmm, just looking at your bike geometry (assuming a 2020 Trance E+1 Pro in XL) compared to the XL 2021 Trance X E+3 Pro and I'm a bit scared its going to be too big!

Top tube length - yours 655, mine 665
Stack - yours 611, mine 631
Reach - yours 479, mine 508
Wheelbase - yours 1259, mine 1297 (that sounds ridiculous!)

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Hmm, just looking at your bike geometry (assuming a 2020 Trance E+1 Pro in XL) compared to the XL 2021 Trance X E+3 Pro and I'm a bit scared its going to be too big!

Top tube length - yours 655, mine 665
Stack - yours 611, mine 631
Reach - yours 479, mine 508
Wheelbase - yours 1259, mine 1297 (that sounds ridiculous!)

At 6'2" I think you may be between sizes. If you size large, you'll have a very nimble bike, but it may feel a tad cramped. In XL you'll have a more roomy feel and the bike will be nice and stable. At 6'6", my preference is for at least 650mm stack on a long travel fork (current bike 676mm and 140mm), at least 670mm ETT - combined with a long front centre. Take into account the SA, as steeper isn't always better if you're taller than average and then test ride both sizes to be sure. By my reckoning, you'll probably buy the larger frame size.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
At 6'2" I think you may be between sizes. If you size large, you'll have a very nimble bike, but it may feel a tad cramped. In XL you'll have a more roomy feel and the bike will be nice and stable. At 6'6", my preference is for at least 650mm stack on a long travel fork (current bike 676mm and 140mm), at least 670mm ETT - combined with a long front centre. Take into account the SA, as steeper isn't always better if you're taller than average and then test ride both sizes to be sure. By my reckoning, you'll probably buy the larger frame size.
Thanks for your reply.
My trouble is I've only ever had 2 bikes, ever! Both Large frame size and I've never ridden an XL before.
My local LBS's never seem to have XL bikes in stock to be able to test ride them, its even worse now with the global shortage of bikes...
My current bike is a 2016 Trek Xcaliber 8 XC hardtail which I've never felt that comfortable on, so due to the fact I'm changing to a more modern (and Trail geometry) bike I'm thinking of sizing up to an XL when I can actually get a hold of a 2021 Giant...
I think I'm going to have to take a gamble and just order the XL when available, although it could be an expensive gamble which is what I'm worried about...

Dec 18, 2019
UK
6'7"....Focus Sam2 XL or Santa Cruz Bullit XXL?

There's a big price difference but, for me, it's looking like SC have just released the best bike, in the Bullit. I'm 6'6" and 107kg's, so the high stack, long reach and extra wheelbase make it one of the roomiest bikes available. The all up weight limit is vastly superior to the Focus and the integration of the Shimano operating system is also much better than the current offering from Bosch. Take all that and the lifetime frame/bearing warranty, it's an expensive no-brainer.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
OP and others looking for a long reach ebike: Nicolai Eboxx are the longest. Next are the Specialized S5 Kenevo’s. Hopefully they may introduce an S6 ebike sizing next year. Most of the other brands XL or XXL are around 515mm reach which at 6ft 3 in and above is not ideal in my experience with a 30mm stem. 40mm stem or roll bars forward would be a way of increasing cockpit room on the 515 bikes.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
OP and others looking for a long reach ebike: Nicolai Eboxx are the longest. Next are the Specialized S5 Kenevo’s. Hopefully they may introduce an S6 ebike sizing next year. Most of the other brands XL or XXL are around 515mm reach which at 6ft 3 in and above is not ideal in my experience with a 30mm stem. 40mm stem or roll bars forward would be a way of increasing cockpit room on the 515 bikes.

I test rode an S5 Kenevo and, due to the really steep seat angle and rather slack head angle, found the cockpit very cramped. The Nicolai's do have the longest reach but, if you're tall, don't have a sufficiently high enough stack measurement to allay that 'over the bars' feeling. I can only surmise that their cockpit will feel as cramped as the Kenevo, due to the steep seat and slack head angles.
When I tried the Heckler, it was similar to my Trail Pistol, but felt roomier due to the slightly slacker seat angle.The new Bullit has a really good stack measurement and, being tall, you need a high stack, because when your seat's up for pedalling, you'll be hunched over the bars, weighting the front end too much for balanced handling. You also need to factor in a long ETT of 670mm or more, otherwise your knees will be hindering the bars range of movement and all these figues, combined with a longish wheelbase, will give you a long Front Centre and it's this combination of numbers that'll give you a comfortable, well balanced, ride.

_Tom_

Jul 7, 2019
EU
I test rode an S5 Kenevo and, due to the really steep seat angle and rather slack head angle, found the cockpit very cramped. The Nicolai's do have the longest reach but, if you're tall, don't have a sufficiently high enough stack measurement to allay that 'over the bars' feeling. I can only surmise that their cockpit will feel as cramped as the Kenevo, due to the steep seat and slack head angles.
When I tried the Heckler, it was similar to my Trail Pistol, but felt roomier due to the slightly slacker seat angle.The new Bullit has a really good stack measurement and, being tall, you need a high stack, because when your seat's up for pedalling, you'll be hunched over the bars, weighting the front end too much for balanced handling. You also need to factor in a long ETT of 670mm or more, otherwise your knees will be hindering the bars range of movement and all these figues, combined with a longish wheelbase, will give you a long Front Centre and it's this combination of numbers that'll give you a comfortable, well balanced, ride.

Yes, I had a NICOLAI EBOXX E14 XXL on test, and is veeery cramped....

20200720_174536_resized.jpg

Guginho

Sep 3, 2020
Vienna
Hi guys,

another tall rider here (203cm) here. It’s not easy to be tall...while looking for decently sized bike, right? I have been spending most of the year researching the e-bike market and have narrowed my options down to Giant Trance X e+ or Santa Cruz Heckler. Trek Rail seems to be to short :(
I have identified a Santa Cruz dealer in Germany that currently stocks a bunch of XXL sized 2020 Hecklers at 30% to 40% off the very high list price. I can get a decent deal on Giant as well. Here is my dilemma, shall I go for the Giant with Yamaha motor, 29” wheels and larger battery but quite heavy, or Heckler with previous gen. Shimano motor, smaller battery but carbon frame with great warranty. What do you think?

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Hi guys,

another tall rider here (203cm) here. It’s not easy to be tall...while looking for decently sized bike, right? I have been spending most of the year researching the e-bike market and have narrowed my options down to Giant Trance X e+ or Santa Cruz Heckler. Trek Rail seems to be to short :(
I have identified a Santa Cruz dealer in Germany that currently stocks a bunch of XXL sized 2020 Hecklers at 30% to 40% off the very high list price. I can get a decent deal on Giant as well. Here is my dilemma, shall I go for the Giant with Yamaha motor, 29” wheels and larger battery but quite heavy, or Heckler with previous gen. Shimano motor, smaller battery but carbon frame with great warranty. What do you think?

Having ridden the Heckler, i'd go for one, if the choice was that or the Giant. Looking at the Giant's geo, it looks to size up small, so that's a no from me and you're taller again. The Giant's stack is very low and you will have a lot of upper body weight over the bars as your saddle height will be way above the handlebar height. The Giant will be quite flighty in the handling, due to the shorter wheelbase, probably too flighty for a larger rider and you'll feel like you're going over the bars every time the trail goes steep and techy.. I found the Heckler a bit too twitchy on the 27.5's, so the Bulllit's longer wheelbase, 29er front, increased front centre, high stack and good reach make for a very stable ride. Add in a taller, heavier rider and your size will make a stable bike feel twitchy.
The Heckler may only carry a 504wh battery and the old E-8000 motor, but the EP8 will bolt in at a later date if needed and you can carry a spare battery for epic rides. I was seriously tempted to buy one last year, but wanted a 29er with better geometry in XXL and the larger battery. with the EP8. I emailed SC with those wishes and, fortunately, it appears Santa Cruz have listened and the Bullit's about as close to what I requested as you can get,

Guginho

Sep 3, 2020
Vienna
Having ridden the Heckler, i'd go for one, if the choice was that or the Giant. Looking at the Giant's geo, it looks to size up small, so that's a no from me and you're taller again. The Giant's stack is very low and you will have a lot of upper body weight over the bars as your saddle height will be way above the handlebar height. The Giant will be quite flighty in the handling, due to the shorter wheelbase, probably too flighty for a larger rider and you'll feel like you're going over the bars every time the trail goes steep and techy.. I found the Heckler a bit too twitchy on the 27.5's, so the Bulllit's longer wheelbase, 29er front, increased front centre, high stack and good reach make for a very stable ride. Add in a taller, heavier rider and your size will make a stable bike feel twitchy.
The Heckler may only carry a 504wh battery and the old E-8000 motor, but the EP8 will bolt in at a later date if needed and you can carry a spare battery for epic rides. I was seriously tempted to buy one last year, but wanted a 29er with better geometry in XXL and the larger battery. with the EP8. I emailed SC with those wishes and, fortunately, it appears Santa Cruz have listened and the Bullit's about as close to what I requested as you can get,
Thanks for your answer. You are right, Bullit is bike that looks like the better option. But the price... Here is hoping there will be some good offers for Black Friday. Maybe my wife will not divorce me ?

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Thanks for your answer. You are right, Bullit is bike that looks like the better option. But the price... Here is hoping there will be some good offers for Black Friday. Maybe my wife will not divorce me ?

If affordability is important, the next closest on the key geometry figures to try are; Mondraker Level, Bulls Sonic ENS and Focus Sam2, but the rider weight limits on the latter two count against them.

marekkuzian

Jul 10, 2020
uk
Heya. Bike selection aside, anyone has any recommendation on waterproof MTB trousers for tall and skinny folks ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles