Ebike for very tall rider. Orbea Wild?

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
Hi, I am 198 cm tall (6.5 ft). I am looking for big enduro ebike. Wich is the bigest?

Thanks, I am interesting in Orbea Wild FS 2020 With 466cm of reach, is enought?

Thanks

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
I would probably look elsewhere as they do size up small. A few of the review's i have read says if you are taller forgot it. Iam 5.8 usually a medium and have a large orbea FS wild ordered and felt perfect for me. So i reckon over 6 foot might start to feel a little cramped on a XL ?

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
You need a reach of 500mm as a start point. You could even look as far as 510/520. FWIW I am 185cm and ride a 480mm reach which I would consider an *active* fit - it is a bike size that I can completely manhandle and ride dynamically.

You also have to watch out for brands that cheat the reach figure by keeping the stack low. You'll want significant reach and significant stack. Stack figure near 640 would make a lot of sense for you.

Stack *can* be adjusted with spacers under the stem but a lot of brands cut the fork steerers so there is a maximum. You need to be clear you've got a correct holistic fit for your size. While aftermarket components can achieve many adjustments that is all money on top of an already expensive purchase.

As an alternative, consider the 2020 Commencal 29er. It's stack is quite low but it is a large bike in XL. You would have to ask Commencal not to cut the fork steerer so you could spacer up or you could get them to substitute a bar with more rise. The important thing is that the XL is a proper XL.

2020 Specialized Kenevo S5 is also a big bike. Same comment for stack.

The latest Mondraker Level is a big bike option. Crafty for a more nimble ride.

Watch out for battery size suiting your need vs non-removeable batteries for charging depending on where you keep the bike.

Support and availability are also important. Some other options that may fit

Whyte E-150/Norco (Range VLT)

Lito

Oct 24, 2018
Belgium
Have a look at the moustache game there XL frame goes to 205cm if im not mistaken im 194 and ordered a large frame

LemonTwist

Dec 16, 2019
Bitterroot Valley, MT, USA
Also 6'5" here (is that 'very' tall? :), and am a bit concerned with fit. Body dimensions make a difference as some tall riders have a lot of leg and others like me have a lot of torso length. I think I'm looking for a large reach, and maybe a shorter dropper post and some rise in bars/stem. Probably means some aftermarket components.
I'm currently leaning towards a Trek Rail (495mm reach in XL) for my imminent emtb purchase for this and other reasons.

Last edited:

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
You need a reach of 500mm as a start point. You could even look as far as 510/520. FWIW I am 185cm and ride a 480mm reach which I would consider an *active* fit - it is a bike size that I can completely manhandle and ride dynamically.

You also have to watch out for brands that cheat the reach figure by keeping the stack low. You'll want significant reach and significant stack. Stack figure near 640 would make a lot of sense for you.

Stack *can* be adjusted with spacers under the stem but a lot of brands cut the fork steerers so there is a maximum. You need to be clear you've got a correct holistic fit for your size. While aftermarket components can achieve many adjustments that is all money on top of an already expensive purchase.

As an alternative, consider the 2020 Commencal 29er. It's stack is quite low but it is a large bike in XL. You would have to ask Commencal not to cut the fork steerer so you could spacer up or you could get them to substitute a bar with more rise. The important thing is that the XL is a proper XL.

2020 Specialized Kenevo S5 is also a big bike. Same comment for stack.

The latest Mondraker Level is a big bike option. Crafty for a more nimble ride.

Watch out for battery size suiting your need vs non-removeable batteries for charging depending on where you keep the bike.

Support and availability are also important. Some other options that may fit

Whyte E-150/Norco (Range VLT)
Thanks, you are helping me a lot.

The kenevo is Sold out in Spain in S5 XL, the Moncdraker is a serius candidate forme Level and Crafty are similar geos. And also que Ghost SL AMR hace a big reach and Stack 498 and 683mm .
Hybride SL AMR S8.7 E-MTB E-Fully GHOST-Bikes

I will look for Començal but I think is not possible to uncut the fork...

Is a hard work t find a Big ebike!" thanks a lot

A Table with reach +stack of 25 bikes:

reach mas stack.png

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Focus Jam2 with Bosch 445

Trek Rail 450

Cannondale Moterra 448

Intense Tazer 450

Mondraker Crafty 470

All In medium Size. they are longer than many on L size, don’t know on the larger sizes how do they scale.

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
The 2019 and earlier models are basically a size smaller. The redesigned 2020 model with the integrated battery is the frame you'd fit best.
Thanks, yes but 2020 is more expensive! jeje.

Is not possible to get the bike with larger fork tube told me by mail.

Thanks.

I am loking for Ghost LC 8.7 or Mondraker Crafty

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Nicolai G1 eboxx in size XL, 635 reach. Designed to Geometron geometry. If you are in the U.K. you will need to import directly atm.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Ok, i'm 1.98m and 108kg's. Not only is the reach and stack important, but the all up rider weight limit is crucial too. Being on the larger size, you're best avoiding anything made of carbon, as weight limits are around 90-95kg.
As per the last post, Nicolai are the best bet, with super long reach measurements and 150kg weight limit for the rider. However, they are massively long, so likely to be too barge like for twisty/technical trails. I'm seriously interested in the top spec, with the Rohloff, but want to see a test review.
Joint 2nd are Specialized, with the Turbo Kenevo and Kona with the Remote 160. Both have rider weights of 136kg and top tube lengths of around 774.
I currently ride an XL Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol, which has 779mm ETT, 515mm Reach and 673mm Stack. This bike still feels a smidge cramped on the reach, but rides nice and lively, albeit a tad slow in the tighter switchbacks. Have a gander at their geometry and compare with the latest crop of e-bikes and you'll come up with the same shortlist as me.
My top pick for a well specced bike that I want to test ride is the Kona, but I will test the others before deciding. The only downside to the Kona is the spoke magnet, but that may be improved for 2021 and, there will be a whole new load of e-mtb's to check out, so it may be best to wait another year.

Guerrilla Gravity | Trail Pistol | Info, Geometry, and Specs [2018]

EbikeCurious

Aug 8, 2019
USA
213ish cm here...got a Kona Remote 160 with 510 reach at 638 stack. Works well with a riser bar for me. Really fun bike with playful geo....

Watch out for the stack as well...same reach at a lower stack feels smaller for sure....

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Is this bike enought bike for 195cm?

COMMENCAL 2019 | META POWER 29 ESSENTIAL FOX 2019

Thanks
I’m 192cm height, inseam 36”. I got myself a Commencal Meta Power Team 2020 in XL - reach is 500mm, stack 624mm - which suits me fine in reach and saddle height - pedal to top saddle is 1000mm. I’ve mounted a 200mm RockSox Reverb instead of the Kindshock which the bike came with.

Last edited:

Zippy

Aug 5, 2019
Wiltshire
I'm on a Merida eOne-Twenty in Large at 6'3" (35" inside leg) which has a quoted reach of 455 and I feel very comfortable on it. I suppose I'm a more leisurely rider, but the XL version takes that to 475 reach. The latest XL eOne-Sixty is slightly stretched at 480.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Nicolai/GM definitely not “barge like” on twisty stuff. OP at 6/5 minimum reach imo would be 535, you will feel better balanced. I’m 6/3.5 and run 520 ebike (Nicolai) and 535 on enduro bike (GM). Would prefer 535 on ebike as well. If you decide on a bike with a shorter reach like one of those suggested by others, then my recommendation to get a bit more reach would be to go for less spacers/higher rise bar combo and roll the bar forward.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Agree, you cant judge a Nicolai by comparing the geometry to similar sized bikes, they are designed to run long, but ride short, rather than just be the next set of numbers up from a smaller sized model

EbikeCurious

Aug 8, 2019
USA
Ok, i'm 1.98m and 108kg's. Not only is the reach and stack important, but the all up rider weight limit is crucial too. Being on the larger size, you're best avoiding anything made of carbon, as weight limits are around 90-95kg.
As per the last post, Nicolai are the best bet, with super long reach measurements and 150kg weight limit for the rider. However, they are massively long, so likely to be too barge like for twisty/technical trails. I'm seriously interested in the top spec, with the Rohloff, but want to see a test review.
Joint 2nd are Specialized, with the Turbo Kenevo and Kona with the Remote 160. Both have rider weights of 136kg and top tube lengths of around 774.
I currently ride an XL Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol, which has 779mm ETT, 515mm Reach and 673mm Stack. This bike still feels a smidge cramped on the reach, but rides nice and lively, albeit a tad slow in the tighter switchbacks. Have a gander at their geometry and compare with the latest crop of e-bikes and you'll come up with the same shortlist as me.
My top pick for a well specced bike that I want to test ride is the Kona, but I will test the others before deciding. The only downside to the Kona is the spoke magnet, but that may be improved for 2021 and, there will be a whole new load of e-mtb's to check out, so it may be best to wait another year.

Guerrilla Gravity | Trail Pistol | Info, Geometry, and Specs [2018]

I’m also running an XXL 2018 GG Smash (metal like the bike gods intended)...sooooo much fun!

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Nicolai/GM definitely not “barge like” on twisty stuff. OP at 6/5 minimum reach imo would be 535, you will feel better balanced. I’m 6/3.5 and run 520 ebike (Nicolai) and 535 on enduro bike (GM). Would prefer 535 on ebike as well. If you decide on a bike with a shorter reach like one of those suggested by others, then my recommendation to get a bit more reach would be to go for less spacers/higher rise bar combo and roll the bar forward.

Thanks for some positive rider input on the Nicolai. I'm going to take a jolly over to Germany to try one before deciding on what to buy, as my Pistol does feel like it could do with a bit more cockpit space, but i'm hoping they'll get their act together and get a bike out to be reviewed in full before then. Like Kona, they're still utilising a spoke magnet, so i'd l;ike to see a disc rotor mounted upgrade for the next model year. Oh and the display is vulnerable on top of the stem, so a bar mount would be preferable too.

Last edited:

marekkuzian

Jul 10, 2020
uk
hi all. i see these posts are from early in the year so was wondering if there was any updates on new released bikes or feedback from ? Im 6'7 95kg looking for a good all mountain with a bit enduro emtb.

also wanted to get some feedback from any tall riders on the comparison between a bike with shorted rach 495 + longer stack 657 (like the YT Decoy 29 pro) vs Longer reach 520 + shorter stack 632 (like the Kenevo).

Dec 18, 2019
UK
hi all. i see these posts are from early in the year so was wondering if there was any updates on new released bikes or feedback from ? Im 6'7 95kg looking for a good all mountain with a bit enduro emtb.

also wanted to get some feedback from any tall riders on the comparison between a bike with shorted rach 495 + longer stack 657 (like the YT Decoy 29 pro) vs Longer reach 520 + shorter stack 632 (like the Kenevo).

At 6''7" you'll need a good stack height, preferably over 650mm, but a big riser bar will help with this. Watch out for bikes with a stack of around 620/30, as they artificially lengthen the reach, but put your upper body weight over the front wheel more. Seat angles also play a part n this so the Kenevo, with a very steep angle, is way too cramped in the cockpit space for me. I ride an analogue Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol, which has a stack of 673 and reach of 515, which is near perfect, albeit with the sadlle slammed back as far on the rails as it'll go. I've started a spreadsheet incorporating the important measurements for my needs, so reach, stack, wheelbase and front centre are key to a good fit for me. Currently, the Santa Cruz is top of the fit list, but I need to try out the Nicolai, Mondraker Level R and the Kona, plus i'll be waiting to see what comes up for 2021.

acmcdonaldgp

Jun 21, 2020
AB
I am 6’6” (198 cm) with 36” inseam and 36.5” arms, and just struggled through the ‘what bike to get’ decision. And where I live, there are generally no bikes in stock that I can try on for fit.

Ideally, I wanted to buy an XXL Santa Cruz Heckler. Knowing what has fit me in the past, I liked the stack/reach (655/515) and all the hype around the new release is what actually convinced me to try an eBike. Unfortunately (but good for my wallet) the XXL were sold out a month ago. I called or emailed just about every shop in Canada.

Not wanting to wait months to buy, I ended up working with my LBS to order an XL Trek rail, which is just a bit shorter in stack/reach (639/495). In all regards, I felt it was close enough that I thought I’d be able to make adjustments with seat, bars and stem and get the fit. 1 month in, it is so far so good, without even adjusting the bars or stem. I love this bike and it feels great!

My advice is demo bikes to find what fits and feels like home. Get the measurements, and then use the 99 spokes or geometry geeks websites to find an eBike that is comparable. Here is a screenshot of how 99 spokes compared them.

Adjustments.jpg

I had originally made my own spreadsheet comparing bikes to the heckler, but found the sites after I purchased....they’re very handy...

Good luck

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles