Ebike Acceptance

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Of course you are getting exercise. But if your 6000miles are purely motor assisted you know fine well you haven't been doing as much exercise as you would have using a normal bike. This really shouldn't be difficult to grasp.
Ebikes are 100% accepted here.
I'm simply pointing out that It doesn't matter whether ebikes are seen as a "lazy" option or not. And trying to justify that point is entirely irrelevent to your plight

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Of course you are getting exercise. But if your 6000miles are purely motor assisted you know fine well you haven't been doing as much exercise as you would have using a normal bike. This really shouldn't be difficult to grasp.
I'm simply pointing out that It doesn't matter whether ebikes are seen as a "lazy" option or not. And trying to justify that point is entirely irrelevent to your plight

Gary: Are you assuming I don’t know that riding my non-Ebike 6,000 miles would require more exercise than on my Ebike? How old are you? How many miles did you ride last year?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How old are you?
Still young enough to understand how the forum quote function works :ROFLMAO:
How many miles did you ride last year?
Why is that relevant? I couldn't tell you exactly how many miles I rode last year as I don't record every ride. But probably also somewhere around 6000 for the year. Split between an emtb, quite a few normal mtbs, roadbike and a BMX.
FWIW I have been riding Emtbs for over 3 years now and at a guess I must have ridden over 12000 miles on them in that time.
Why are you giving your two cents on an Ebike thread?
Why not?
Kinda ironic that you have an issue with my post. When the point of your thread is to advocate acceptance and inclusion. Don't you think?

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
The point is 90 minutes or 168 Watts for 90 minutes, much better than no exercise. There is certainly a point where you can do no work on ebikes but I feel most are putting in a good amount of work while getting more power and more speed with more ups/downs. I wasn't one to call ebikes work in the past but most new ebikes certainally seem to have the assist balanced (if the rider hasn't fucked up the assist level completely).

Here in Ireland things have changed massively in the last 6 months. We went from its cheating to give me a tow up please. Alot more ebikes in the area and very accepting. Last year there was a small bit of stigma nothing most people couldn't shrug off. Covid with no uplifts in the bike park contributing hugely.
Just a great tool for getting a similar amount of exercise without killing yourself and more laps in. Loving the bike the weight is a massive downside for those of us under 70kg I feel.
I'd advise those under 70kg to take at least a 23KG or under bike.
Bullshit, so you need is lift weights. I weigh 170, my bike is 24kg and no problem

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Still young enough to understand how the forum quote function works :ROFLMAO:

Why is that relevant? I couldn't tell you exactly how many miles I rode last year as I don't record every ride. But probably also somewhere around 6000 for the year. Split between an emtb, quite a few normal mtbs, roadbike and a BMX.
FWIW I have been riding Emtbs for over 3 years now and at a guess I must have ridden over 12000 miles on them in that time.

Why not?
Kinda ironic that you have an issue with my post. When the point of your thread is to advocate acceptance and inclusion. Don't you think?

Gary: You are really saying age isn’t important when discussing Ebiking? If that was true why would Park City, Utah allow Ebiking on their trail system to people 65 or older?

Since I ride with many riders 30 years or more younger than me I believe it allows me to keep up with them now, where I was struggling to keep even close to the back of the back.

I am totally impressed with your annual Ebike mileage. What is the total annual mileage on your road bike? Regular mountain bike? BMX bike?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If that was true why would Park City, Utah allow Ebiking on their trail system to people 65 or older?
See post #7 ;)
What is the total annual mileage on your road bike? Regular mountain bike? BMX bike?
Like I said. I couldn't give you an accurate figure as I don't log every ride. But last month I rode my roadbike around 400miles (A lot of which was commuting), normal FS Enduro mtb about 100miles, 4X hardtail about 40miles, and didn't ride my DH bikes or BMX at all. This month may well be a very different mix but will still include around 400miles of commuting
I have 9 bikes BTW and tend to switch between my most ridden bikes fairly often. Hence not logging every ride or keeping track of exact mileages of each bike.

You are really saying age isn’t important when discussing Ebiking?
We're not discussing Ebiking in general, We're discussing access and what I am saying abour age is that it should never be used as an entry requirement to be allowed access to ride an Ebike on an otherwise accessible bike trail.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
why would Park City, Utah allow Ebiking on their trail system to people 65 or older?
That's the bonkers thing about some places in americas rules, why should age be a determinant of whether you're allowed to ride an ebike at that place.

They should be allowing anyone to ride an ebike (class 1)regardless of age, gender, fitness, disability, injury etc.

Otherwise they just end up reinforcing the view that ebikes are just for the old, the disabled, the injured.

You are really saying age isn’t important when discussing Ebiking?

Age shouldnt be important or at all relevant. If all the people you can now keep up with on your ebike also got ebikes then youd be at the back again. Or are you saying only old people should be allowed an ebike? I don't think you are.

Last edited:

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
See post #7 ;)

Like I said. I couldn't give you an accurate figure as I don't log every ride. But last month I rode my roadbike around 400miles (A lot of which was commuting), normal FS Enduro mtb about 100miles, 4X hardtail about 40miles, and didn't ride my DH bikes or BMX at all. This month may well be a very different mix but will still include around 400miles of commuting
I have 9 bikes BTW and tend to switch between my most ridden bikes fairly often. Hence not logging every ride or keeping track of exact mileages of each bike.

We're not discussing Ebiking in general, We're discussing access and what I am saying abour age is that it should never be used as an entry requirement to be allowed access to ride an Ebike on an otherwise accessible bike trail.

Gary: I would be perfectly happy if all land managers were to allow Class 1 Ebikes for riders 65 and older since I am older than 65. Once the land managers saw that that group didn’t create any significant negative impact on their trail system they would hopefully feel fine dropping the age to 60+ then lower.

It will be interesting to see how the environmentalist groups will end up changing the recent BLM

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
That's the bonkers thing about some places in americas rules, why should age be a determinant of whether you're allowed to ride an ebike at that place.

They should be allowing anyone to ride an ebike (class 1)regardless of age, gender, fitness, disability, injury etc.

Otherwise they just end up reinforcing the view that ebikes are just for the old, the disabled, the injured.

Age shouldnt be important or at all relevant. If all the people you can now keep up with on your ebike also got ebikes then youd be at the back again. Or are you saying only old people should be allowed an ebike? I don't think you are.

M: I am for all responsible Ebikers being able to ride Class 1 Ebikes on almost all non motorized current mountain bike trails and those Ebike only trails that currently exist and will be built in the future.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
Bumped into this thread and I'm surprised that a country like US, where you drive with a V8 truck from your bedroom to the restroom to have a shit, is having problems accepting something with a motor in it.
This is a bit schizophrenic, isn't it?

I live in Germany and I think eMTBs are becoming the majority on our trails.
Went out in the black forest yesterday and there were far more eMTBs than bio-bikes (how we name analog bikes).
In my two years of eMTB riding i had only one idiot complaining about me and my wife buying our son an eMTB. The rest of the biobikers were totally normal. Most of them were curious and asked about how it rides and weight and stuff like that.

I use my eMTB not because I'm old or because I have disabilities but because I want to have fun uphill as well.
Uphill now became part of the joy and isn't an annoying necessity anymore.
It's kind of the same but different as well.

Sportscars, vans, trucks and family cars all share the same roads.
Why shouldn't that also apply for MTBs and eMTBs on trails?
What's the difference between 100kg man and 25kg bike compared to 100kg man and 15kg bike? How on earth could anyone imagine that these 10kg would make a real difference in trail wear?
I'm sure shredding a trail hard with a normal MTB with drifting and locking up brakes does a lot more harm to the ground.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK

But you are missing the point. On an ordinary bike he wouldn't have done anything like 6,000 miles he would have done maybe 3,000

So he's done twice the mileage at possibly half the output per mile.

I am in a similar position, approaching 60 l can still do my regular rides, but rather than killing myself on the climbs, l do them with less effort, but l get twice as far.

Since l got my Ebike l am actually losing weight. So something's working out. l think that the more steady effort that l put into Ebike riding is doing me more good than stretching myself to the absolute limit half a dozen times on every ride.

It's a choice. l've done regular MTB for years and love it.
But riding my Ebike has put a new joy into my rides.
And also l am getting out more. There's more incentive to jump on the Ebike after work, so l've been going out on days when l would most likely have stayed home.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your average HR for the ride you posted was 137bpm (ie. 85% of 160)
Out of interest, have you actually done a propr max HR test on a normal bike? or are you just using the massively flawed estimated Max HR based on age method to set your max HR and training zones? If so your actual max may well be higher than 160.
60mins at 90% MAX HR wouldn't actually be enjoyable.
Personally I can't get anywhere near my actual max HR pedalling an Emtb uphill with motor assistance .

Last edited:

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Turn the motor assistance down to one of the lower "eco" settings and then see where your heart rate ends up.

lightening: You make a good point, but it seems like Gary is in much better shape then most of us. I am not quite sure why he rides his Ebike on non-motorized trails 4,000 miles a year when his heart is hardly pumping on the uphills. It would sure be nice to be in as good of shape he is. I wonder if his heart rate would go up if he just rode his EBIKE in the off position, some how I doubt it would go up.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Bumped into this thread and I'm surprised that a country like US, where you drive with a V8 truck from your bedroom to the restroom to have a shit, is having problems accepting something with a motor in it.
This is a bit schizophrenic, isn't it?

I live in Germany and I think eMTBs are becoming the majority on our trails.
Went out in the black forest yesterday and there were far more eMTBs than bio-bikes (how we name analog bikes).
In my two years of eMTB riding i had only one idiot complaining about me and my wife buying our son an eMTB. The rest of the biobikers were totally normal. Most of them were curious and asked about how it rides and weight and stuff like that.

I use my eMTB not because I'm old or because I have disabilities but because I want to have fun uphill as well.
Uphill now became part of the joy and isn't an annoying necessity anymore.
It's kind of the same but different as well.

Sportscars, vans, trucks and family cars all share the same roads.
Why shouldn't that also apply for MTBs and eMTBs on trails?
What's the difference between 100kg man and 25kg bike compared to 100kg man and 15kg bike? How on earth could anyone imagine that these 10kg would make a real difference in trail wear?
I'm sure shredding a trail hard with a normal MTB with drifting and locking up brakes does a lot more harm to the ground.

Jorel: You make some good points about how illogical it is that in the US we don’t allow Ebikes on a lot of the tens of thousands of miles of mountain biking trails we have in our country.

When I read the environmental group rebutal to allowing Class 1, 2 & 3 Ebikes of 750 watts or less on BLM non-motorized trail you get a clear understanding what their perceived fears are. They are concerned mainly about the environment (i.e. reducing Elk and Grizzly Bear populations) and user conflicts (i.e. injuring or killing hikers or equestrians).

In Germany do you even have Elk and Grizzly Bears? Are your hikers and equestrians even fearful of Ebike riders?

Read this rebuttal and it gives you an idea what the Ebike haters concerns are:

Last edited:
Reactions: EME

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There are 9 eMTB’s on my lane now…and 3 more on order. My neighbor, who is 20 years younger, has an identical eMTB as I. I can’t match him on the downhill trails, but he can’t match me on the uphill trails. The gap between us has closed. So now we’re the same but different. Our bikes are slightly morphing to suit our styles but we can still venture out together. (And we promised not to ride in turbo.) lol.
Today we plan an eMTB 60-70km ride with 7 of the eMTB gang

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This might be news to you but there's no such thing as a
non-motorized trail
here. Over here there are absolutely no trail access issues for mtb or Emtb. Granted we do have a better grasp on common sense and courtesy.
I wonder if his heart rate would go up if he just rode his EBIKE in the off position
I ride it switched off every single time i ride it with my girlfriend or daughter on their normal bikes. Even with it off, climbing at their pace I'm rarely even breathing hard nevermind Anaerobic. I do also fairly often ride in "off" for the first climb at the start of a cold ride just to warm up or to save battery on rides with more than 5000ft elevation (504wh battery). I just ride for fun so pretty much never put in 90-95%max HR efforts on mtb climbs at all though nevermind 100%. It's not like I'm out training for anything.. But if I was I'd be using my roadbike.
I've never put much thought into working out why I can't max out my HR on an Eeb. It may even just be a psycological thing where I just don't want to push as hard as I'm prepared to on a normal bike. :unsure:

Last edited:

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
In Germany do you even have Elk and Grizzly Bears? Are your hikers and equestrians even fearful of Ebike riders?
First question:
No, we don't.
But we have other wild animals like wild boar and not very often wolves.
For normal people enough to be frightend.

Second question:
They fear mountainbikers, no matter if they have a motor or not.
We have a discussion going on because of the rising amount of MTB riders and the concerns hikers have with them.
But eMTBs with limited speed of 25k are considered as normal bikes and not motorised vehicles.

Seems that the main problem is the definition of eMTB as a motorised vehicle.
Hope you'll sort this out soon.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Here in Squamish, the land of the super fit, other than the occasional "that is cheating or how about a tow" I don't get very many rude comments about my Levo SL. Then again, I don't go blasting by the acoustic bikes in full turbo or harass acoustic riders on climbing trails by yelling "RIDER" like some StravHoles do. The one thing that will continue to piss all mountain bikers off will be THOSE eMTB'rs who think its ok to ride UP a DOWN trail just because they have enough power to do so. Total A$$hole move.
The other issue is, if you support your local trails (trail days or financially) you have more of a right to use the trails than the leaches who do neither.
20210509_130346.jpg

Last edited:

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Around here most people are friendly to EMTBs (and bikes) Walkers are slowly starting to understand the reason all the windfall after the winter gets cleared earlier and earlier in the season is because bikers brings saws with them and ebikers brings (electric) chainsaws. It’s NOT the landowners who clears the trees (They are happy that we clear the trails on their land in general)

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Jorel: You make some good points about how illogical it is that in the US we don’t allow Ebikes on a lot of the tens of thousands of miles of mountain biking trails we have in our country.

When I read the environmental group rebutal to allowing Class 1, 2 & 3 Ebikes of 750 watts or less on BLM non-motorized trail you get a clear understanding what their perceived fears are. They are concerned mainly about the environment (i.e. reducing Elk and Grizzly Bear populations) and user conflicts (i.e. injuring or killing hikers or equestrians).

They're not concerned about the environment or user conflicts. I've, out of interest, read a few of the papers submitted by the walkers and horse riders. They make spurious claims with no evidence and no experience. They present opinion as fact with little or no research and much fear mongering. The simple reality is they have power and influence and they don't want to lose that to a bunch of long haired hippie yahoos. 'Cause they know best for the trails and what's best for everybody else. ie: they want the trails to themselves, or at least no more people using *their* trails than there already are....... Reeks of the same arguments skiers made when snowboarding first became a thing. I really don't know if a logical fact based approach will even work. They have made up their minds and hang on doggedly like the US does to the Imperial system (one of only 3.5 countries in the world to do so).

Does anyone seriously believe that one of the largest land predators on earth is afraid of a stringy girl on an eBike? FFS!! These are the same people who would probably shoot the fucking bear if they ever ran across one. And I assume you understand what a horse does to the environment (and trail damage) compared to a bike?

There are exactly two rational reasons to worry about eBikes. One is the prevalence of de-restricted bikes travelling at speeds not really possible by an elite rider on a normal bike. And the selfish few fucktards who had shit parents and have no manners who think it's cool to blast by someone on the trail like an entitled arsehole just because they can. Mostly though these are both the same group and can be dealt with by the rest of the eBike community by creating a safe riding culture. I'm not saying you can't ride an unrestricted bike at stupid speeds. Just do it on trails that you're not sharing with other people. Or save it for race day.

(North) America, is actually an anomaly in the EMTB world. You guys may have invented mountain biking but you're years behind on EMTB's (and honestly, mountain bike access as well). If your land managers actually gave a shit they could look at pretty much anywhere else and see that EMTB's can, and do, share the trails with others with almost no additional trail impacts, other than the one created by the fact more people are on the trails, which your walkers don't want. Most of the rest of the world just doesn't have access issues. A bike is a bike and an unrestricted class 1 eBike is a bike. So what we get is more riders one the trails. More bike shops selling more bikes. More trail development with more government funding to support our growing sport. Which means all bike riders benefit from having eBikes on the trails.

If the US wanted to see what happens then just look at Europe, which leads the world in shared usage. And no, the sky didn't fall when eBikes entered the trails.

Here in Oz, our governments are putting millions into mountain biking in every state. We have mountain biking towns where the streets and bike shops are lined with hire bikes and eBikes. We have wilderness trails with some of the best turns on the planet where they actually recommend you ride an eBike because the trail is so long. We have riders on acoustic bikes who have an eBike they ride when the local uplift isn't running. Clubs have record memberships. Races have eBike categories. Tasmania, which has a population about the same as the area I live in (500K) has three world class bike destinations with another three being built now. Conservationists here are looking at using activities like mountain biking as a way to create sustainable wilderness areas, safe from mining and logging. Trails use a fraction of a percent of the land they sit on. That means they can both utilise the land and have 99% available to the native wildlife. It's a win win.

Meanwhile you guys are arguing over whether a half tonne elk will be damaged by a 200 pound rider/bike and letting someone on a horse lecture you about trail damage?

Gordon

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
Of course. any exercise is better than no exercise. I didn't say otherwise.

I hope you didn't choose 168W thinking it was the average wattage from the graph above. it's not. it's simply a wattage estimate at certain point around 10.3miles into the ride and unless Strava was monitoring the motor output the wattage estimate graph data will be inaccurate anyway.
Yepp yet an other Gary’s way or no way. You strike me like a very frustrated person, but i’m sure you will try to convince me otherwise. Good luck.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Here in Squamish, the land of the super fit, other than the occasional "that is cheating or how about a tow" I don't get very many rude comments about my Levo SL. Then again, I don't go blasting by the acoustic bikes in full turbo or harass acoustic riders on climbing trails by yelling "RIDER" like some StravHoles do. The one thing that will continue to piss all mountain bikers off will be THOSE eMTB'rs who think its ok to ride UP a DOWN trail just because they have enough power to do so. Total A$$hole move.
The other issue is, if you support your local trails (trail days or financially) you have more of a right to use the trails than the leaches who do neither. View attachment 61044

KnollyBro: I totally agree with your point about volunteering for trail days. I have put thousands of hours into maintaining the non-system trails. I am fully aware about the wear and tear the trail users and Mother Nature does to those trails and how to mitigate the damage and add trail fixes that reduce future damage that Mother Nature creates. Thanks for the insightful post.

Reactions: EME

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles