Eagle AXS system on 2019 Levo?

babarnicle

Nov 9, 2019
Usa
AXS can now be purchased separately. So you can buy just the derailleur and shifter. But you will also need a 12 speed eagle cassette. GX Eagle cassette will work fine if you want to save Money.
I’m also running an eagle chainring sync 2 for smooth shifting.

Mhugdoc

Jul 26, 2018
Arkansas
AXS can now be purchased separately. So you can buy just the derailleur and shifter. But you will also need a 12 speed eagle cassette. GX Eagle cassette will work fine if you want to save Money.
I’m also running an eagle chainring sync 2 for smooth shifting.
Thanks for the great info. It’s a lot of money so I want to be clear. 2019 Levo Expert will run the AXS system as a 12 speed which will require a narrower chain, a new eagle 12 sprocket cassette, Bluetooth derailleur, remote shifter. But does not require new chain ring up front.
Is that correct?
And the sync 2 chain ring makes shifting smoother? Does it have the same number of teeth as stock Levo?

NSFRACING28

Dec 26, 2018
BURLEIGH HEADS
Thanks for the great info. It’s a lot of money so I want to be clear. 2019 Levo Expert will run the AXS system as a 12 speed which will require a narrower chain, a new eagle 12 sprocket cassette, Bluetooth derailleur, remote shifter. But does not require new chain ring up front.
Is that correct?
And the sync 2 chain ring makes shifting smoother? Does it have the same number of teeth as stock Levo?
I have the full kit on my 2019 S-works and its great, however, unless you want to climb vertical faces (and the gap between ratios is too wide) I would change the front to an extra 2 or 4 teeth.

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
Did you Install entire AXS electric system or can I use my existing chain ring and cranks?

I’ve installed on my Kenevo also, just used my standard cranks and chain ring.

Here’s the rest of what I fitted:

Eagle AXS Setup
Sram X01 Eagle AXS Upgrade Kit (Der, Shifter, Battery, Charger) 12 Speed

Pg-1230 Nx Eagle Cassette 12Sp 11-50T (this will fitted straight onto the existing hub)

Gx Eagle Chain 12 Speed

You can spend more on the cassette and chain - but this cassette is the only Eagle 12spd one that fits my existing hub (you may want to check which hub you have to ensure compatibility with the cassette).

I love it, it’s such a nice system even using the cheapest cassette and chain - so far I can’t see any reason to go for higher priced one’s..... I installed the AXS Dropper as well at the same time and that’s just as good. Cockpit is super clean now, only two brake cables and the power cable to the motor.

24D17549-EC72-408D-A14A-562FC133446F.jpeg
3F29E4DF-DC5C-40C2-A1D4-047525B0E30F.jpeg
236C5DED-444B-4ACC-80FB-9BEAE42DA47D.jpeg

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I find that even though I have the ebike specific Sram nx shifter I often shift many cogs at a time by clicking really quick. Is this possible to hinder with axs, ie set it to ebike and not allow multiple downshifts even though you click the shifter really quick.

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
I find that even though I have the ebike specific Sram nx shifter I often shift many cogs at a time by clicking really quick. Is this possible to hinder with axs, ie set it to ebike and not allow multiple downshifts even though you click the shifter really quick.

You can set it via the Sram AXS App to be able to do multi shifts or single shifts with each press / prolonged press. But if you click it multiple times quickly it will still shift of course, and it's fast!
Best thing to do is to find someone using it and ask them to demonstrate or look on the Sram site at their videos for clarification.

Eddie10

Oct 7, 2018
Canada
Hi. I plan on installing AXS on my 2019 Comp Carbon.
Just trying to make sure I understand everything correctly so I order the right equipment. Am I correct in saying I can order any 12 speed cassette that will fit my hub and any chain that will fit that cassette will work???
Above it says something about a narrow chain???
Thx

Niklas

Jun 10, 2019
Sweden
Is it possible or is there a fitment issue?
No problem a all butt why? If you have an eBike the EX1 gearing and chains are perfect so change to that instead. I have broken to many chains on both new XTR and 12 sped SRAM, moved to EX1 and no problems since then?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
No problem a all butt why? If you have an eBike the EX1 gearing and chains are perfect so change to that instead. I have broken to many chains on both new XTR and 12 sped SRAM, moved to EX1 and no problems since then?
I thought SRAM was claiming their 12 speed chains were their strongest? If that is the case I'd be looking at your shifting technique if you're breaking them.

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand

I believe the question is not about 12spd gearing and / or chain reliability - neither of which I have had any problems with so far (no broken chains and perfect gear changes - always), but more about the AXS System fitment........
I only use the cheapest GX Eagle Chain and Cassette with the X01 Eagle AXS System and it's bloody awesome. Highly recommended if you have a bit of loose change about......

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
I’ve been looking at the axs x01 for a while and just about to go for it. I’ve got a 2019 Levo Carbon comp in large. Out of curiosity does anyone know what length chain I need?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I’m using a Specialized Phenom S-Works with carbon rails on my Reverb AXS with no issues.

I also don’t have the same issues with too much power on the Levo SL... but that’s maybe because I’m mainly running in Eco at 40% assist. I generally back off when I change gear if I know it’s going to put strain on it.

Last edited:

Viper9559

Apr 14, 2020
Monterey, CA
Just make sure that you turn OFF multi shifts in the AXS app. That way you will only shift one gear per click and prolong your drivetrain and chain.
Thanks for mentioning this.. I wanted to install on my 2020 Levo Sworks. The only thing that was holding me back from buying was I needed to know if it could be setup for single shift...

babarnicle

Nov 9, 2019
Usa
Just make sure that you turn OFF multi shifts in the AXS app. That way you will only shift one gear per click and prolong your drivetrain and chain.
Thanks for mentioning this.. I wanted to install on my 2020 Levo Sworks. The only thing that was holding me back from buying was I needed to know if it could be setup for single shift...

AXS has been flawless on my Levo so far. The shifting is precise and consistent. I try to always pre- shift before a hill so I don’t shift under load. You will really enjoy it.
IMG_4030.jpg

babarnicle

Nov 9, 2019
Usa
AXS has been flawless on my Levo so far. The shifting is precise and consistent. I try to always pre- shift before a hill so I don’t shift under load. You will really enjoy it. View attachment 30651
was it difficult to remove the mechanical shift cable? Thanks

Very easy. You just pull hard on the housing and it all comes out. But you will have to plug the rear hole that is left from the shifter housing. I used a Di2 rubber grommet. Just so water doesn’t get in.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
Hey everyone with an AXS, I am trying to fit mine onto a 2019 Levo and I'm having some issues that maybe you can help me with?
Basically, the system won't change gear from the largest cog onto the second largest. I have watched all the Sram videos and did precisely everything regarding the installation and measuring the size of the chain.

I've got a new cassette (Pg-1230 Nx Eagle Cassette 12Sp 11-50T) because that fits my Shimano HG, a new Eagle GX chain (12 speed obviously), and the AXS X01 upgrade kit.

I notice that the shifting is not entirely perfect on 1 or 2 other gears, but its the setting that works best after trying microadjusments for 2 hours!

The only thing that seems to help changing the gear from the largest cog to the next is if I close the gap between the derailleur and the cogs with the screw, but the position that works if far too close and eventually will end up messing the derailleur.

At this point the only thing left I can think of is that the derailleur hanger might be bent, and I might just change it. But the hanger is a really tough one to be bent!

Any ideas I can try?

Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles