E8000 upgrade to EP8

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Anybody done this yet? My SC Heckler is about to run out of warranty and I'd like to be ready when it inevitably goes wrong!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It's a fairly complicated undertaking that requires a lot of new parts, many of which are VERY hard to obtain in the current parts shortage climate.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I have a 2 year old Santa Cruz Heckler X01. She's rocking i9 Reserves, Factory 36's, AXS dropper and Mech - so great spec.

She's out of warranty with Shimano so I've been looking at it and thinking about what I do if the motor goes. Plus I have an EP8 Heckler MX and really think the EP8 is a much better offering.

After waiting a bit I've finally had confirmation that a dealer can buy an EP8, here's what I've been told in emails;

From Madison
  • The motor cost is £969.99
  • You need to get adapters for the SD300 cables OR new cables/controller/screen
  • You need permission from the manufacturer to put the EP8 in the bike
  • They need the Service log/Unit log from the E8000 - available via E-Tube Diagnostics
From Jungle (Santa Cruz UK)
  • They are happy for me or Madison to email them for permission to put the EP8 in the bike
  • They are happy to confirm the EP8 can go in the bike
So from what I can see this gives a new lease of life to a bike that is perfect#shimano

I guess the same would be for bikes with E7000 motors...

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
My e8000 has failed (E010 / W0013) and I’m out of warranty. This seems like a good way of upgrading, especially considering that an e8000 from Madison is £ 920. I had a quick look online for the adapters and the only place that seems to sell them is a shop in Italy (on eBay). Ridiculous delivery charges, so it will make it expensive.

Anyone know of another supplier and what, exactly, is required (adapters, display, switch, etc.)?

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
  • You need permission from the manufacturer to put the EP8 in the bike
Curious…..could you explain this?

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
Did anyone manage to find any more about this? I also have a Heckler in the UK with an out of warranty motor that I think is slowly failing. I'd really prefer to switch to the EP-8 if I am going to have to change the motor. It looks like I'd need a new switch, display, motor, cranks and some cable adapters according to that Merida video...

I had contacted Jungle/Madison in Feb 2022 but was told nothing was possible then.

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
It is preety streigh forward procedure. I had e8000 in my old bike and I was thinking to do it. What you need actually is not EW-AD305 unless you will be mixing cables from e8000 sd-50 with cables from ep8 sd-300. When you replace main e8000 to ep8 you need 2 cables. One is from engine to speed sensor. 2nd is going from engine to display/switch. Optionally one cable more for power button (not all bikes have it since some power on via battery itself). Connection with battery should be the same. And now depends. If you will use old cables from e8000 then you use EW-AD305 to connect old cables SD-50 with new short cables SD-300 with new unit EP8. If you use new SD-300 cables (speed sensor and display/switch) then EW-AD305 is not needed. Some more info you can find on Orbea Rise thread where ep8 is connected via EW-AD305 with switch from e7000. I have the same on my bike.

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
try watching this mob from Australia, they do it in a Merida and go through all the dramas and parts needed

Thanks, I'd looked at that and it is really helpful on the parts needed. I think the hard part will be getting the motor in the UK since only Madison are allowed to change the settings on them and they can't sell motors, only replace like with like and seemingly only under warranty. There are ways you probably could get a motor but you'd have no warranty.

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
It is preety streigh forward procedure. I had e8000 in my old bike and I was thinking to do it. What you need actually is not EW-AD305 unless you will be mixing cables from e8000 sd-50 with cables from ep8 sd-300. When you replace main e8000 to ep8 you need 2 cables. One is from engine to speed sensor. 2nd is going from engine to display/switch. Optionally one cable more for power button (not all bikes have it since some power on via battery itself). Connection with battery should be the same. And now depends. If you will use old cables from e8000 then you use EW-AD305 to connect old cables SD-50 with new short cables SD-300 with new unit EP8. If you use new SD-300 cables (speed sensor and display/switch) then EW-AD305 is not needed. Some more info you can find on Orbea Rise thread where ep8 is connected via EW-AD305 with switch from e7000. I have the same on my bike.
Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking from the video. It sounds like you definitely have to replace the display? The heckler does have a separate power switch, not sure how that is wired but worst case it is an adapter. Hard part will be getting a motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles