E8000 switching off and on again.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've posted this on Shimano page but thought it might have more luck here.
As titled says, just started today and about 4 or 5 times.
I did tinker with the emax app before ride.
New motor about 250miles ago.
Any suggestions before I disassemble it again.
Cheers

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is it sort of re-booting .. so it goes off on it's own and then comes back on it's own ?

If it is, that can be a symptom of the e8000 display cable being trapped somewhere along it's length - or pulled too tight. So then when you turn the bars, it increases cable tension and causes a reset.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Is it sort of re-booting .. so it goes off on it's own and then comes back on it's own ?

If it is, that can be a symptom of the e8000 display cable being trapped somewhere along it's length - or pulled too tight. So then when you turn the bars, it increases cable tension and causes a reset.
That's what it's doing, but I haven't changed anything other than dropping motor etc.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It could be the cable's a bit tighter than it was going into the motor area ? Or it's co-incidence it's it's just got a bit tighter somewhere else. Mine did it when I taped the cable to a brake hose to tidy things up. Took the tape off and taped it every 10 cm's instead and it was fine.

I think a few of the Merida's were doing it randomly and not always turning on properly, that was with the cables being too tight in the motor housing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Loose connection into the back of the display, there's only two wires.
The other possibility is that during the motor installation one of the cable became trapped and got squeezed. This can cause intermittent problems of the type you describe.

I've had both of them.
The first was resolved very easily.
The second required a new cable and very careful installation!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I had similar problems on my Focus. actually my problem was that after turning it off, I couldn't turn it on. After re-installation I had the problem that I couldn't turn it off. Just kept cycling off and on. Was a pain in the bum. I loaded my battery in the evening, the next day I went for a ride and after a short time realized my battery was nearly empty.
Hmm, sorry not a very constructive post is it.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just dropped the motor after finding a tight cable, hopefully sorted.
Replaced front brake master cylinder while I was on, what a fuker these are to bleed even with 2 syringes.
On an up note recieved Birzman clam is the dogs danglies for setting up .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles