E8000 speed sensor

Gee

Jun 20, 2019
South Wales
Hi guys,

Was out on a ride yesterday and picked up a branch in the rear wheel which took out the speed sensor cable. The cable was severed flush on the sensor so no chance of a 'MacGyver' to get me home. I did try butchering the sensor with a knife to try and see if there was some way of getting at the wire to bodge a fix but no chance.

After a few hundred meters of pushing the bike up and out of the bloody steep valley I was in (walk assist .....what a fecking joke!) and then a killer slog pedaling my now dead Commencal Meta miles to civilisation, I've decided it's not a situation I want to go thru again any time soon.

Bikes now in the LBS to have a new sensor fitted.

Question is, after getting home and googling the speed sensor (£25) it appears its just a case of removing the old and plugging in the new lead to the motor?

Now being new to emtb's and not yet having the need/balls to mess with the motor etc. Is it a simple fix for when it happens again?

If it's a case of just removing a cover or so and plugging a new one in (possible to do trailside?). I'm tempted to buy a spare and chuck it in my pack.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If it's a case of just removing a cover or so and plugging a new one in

Doesn't sound like you enjoyed your ride !

Yup, walkmode is painful, if you've not got di2, it's worth putting it in the highest gear - same power, but you at least go a little faster.

and another Yup .. it just plugs in ! The top cover on the left side of the motor is held in place with three phillips screws (sadly not pozi or torx), so be careful not to strip them. They're also tiny, so if they come out of the cover when you unscrew them, stick them to the wheel sensor magnet whilst you're working on the trail so you don't loose them.

Then the cable just unplugs and plugs back in. Once you have the cover off you won't be uncovering the circuit boards or exposing the uranium micro reactor, so it's not so scary.

Depending on your bike you might need to thread the cable through some frame sections which might not be practical on the trail so make sure you have some zip ties with you to hold it in place on the outside just in case.

Gee

Jun 20, 2019
South Wales
Cheers Zimmer that's just what I needed to know mate, thanks for the concise response. Will get a spare ordered asap. ?

Walk mode is great on my E8000. I almost have to run with it in certain gears.

Are you holding the button down when using it?

Yep, was holding down the button. Was in the easiest gear but it would barely propel the thing on the flat let alone up any sort of gradient.

From reading up on it people are saying you need to be in a harder gear for the assist to work better? Seems a bit backwards to me as you would be in an easier gear before needing to use the walk assist. Will try it when I get the bike back ? Will chalk that one down to user error.

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Cheers Zimmer that's just what I needed to know mate, thanks for the concise response. Will get a spare ordered asap. ?

Yep, was holding down the button. Was in the easiest gear but it would barely propel the thing on the flat let alone up any sort of gradient.

From reading up on it people are saying you need to be in a harder gear for the assist to work better? Seems a bit backwards to me as you would be in an easier gear before needing to use the walk assist. Will try it when I get the bike back ? Will chalk that one down to user error.

Odd indeed. I only asked as the first few rides I couldn't figure it out. Had to read the manual ??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Walk mode is great on my E8000. I almost have to run with it in certain gears.

Is this going downhill ??

The one main short coming on the none di2 Shimano seems to be the walk mode. Normally when you need it you're in a low gear, but they've set it up with such a low assistance (2%? 2w? - can't remember) that invariably it doesn't help at all - though it's better if you put it in higher gears. I've given up with it and just push and get on with it or carry the damned thing.

It sounds like you've either worked out how to use it properly or yours is set up differently - others have said that theirs are fine/quick, so maybe some are configured differently from the factory ?

Very Jealous !

Gee

Jun 20, 2019
South Wales
Got the bike back and tried the walk assist in a higher gear.......works brilliantly. Defo user error before :rolleyes:

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
See my speed sensor post I put up a few hours ago. While I can access the plug on the motor via the cover with the 3 tiny screws , the speed sensor is routed along the chain stay along with the rear hydraulic brake line into the space between the motor and the frame. For my commencal it requires removing the rear wheel, bash guard , front chain ring , front chain guide, then four of the six motor bolts and loosening the rear two dropping engine but hanging it via the rear two motor mount bolts to pass the speed sensor wire and then plugging it into it's spot on the motor. My plug isn't right so I ovalized the plug for some more holding power.
Maybe if you got a long speed sensor they come in 340, 550 1400mm lengths if sm due 10 . Or if sm due 11 (; speed sensor different design but similar ) you might be able to drape it externally to get home but otherwise trailside ...NEVER .
I definately know way too much about this issue seeing that I spend 4 to six hours at it yesterday in my garage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles