E8000 speed sensor connection loose at motor.

sam-widgers

Jan 12, 2021
west yorkshire
guys, is there a special technique required for refitting the speed sensor plug into the motor socket? i pulled mine out last night but when trying to refit it the plug appears to go all the way back in but wont `snap` back in and only takes the slightest upward pressure to dislodge it, it`s as if it`s a `one time fit only` connector. it`s fitted with a peartune derestrictor (by previous owner) so i unplugged that and tried refitting the original sensors but got the same result. just wondering if i need some sort of wizzardry to reconnect securely.
thanks.

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
Are you using the small Shimano tool with which you can hold the small connector to plug in/out? I think the part number is Shimano TL-EW02.

sam-widgers

Jan 12, 2021
west yorkshire
Yes I am but still can't seem to get enough downward pressure on, I've even tried gripping the plug gently with needle nose pliers but I'm wary of applying too much pressure .

Last edited:

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
The location of this connector in the motor is not the best, all grit and dirt goes in it, so it could be that when unplugging it, some grit made its way into the socket. Try to clean it with compressed air and use the Shimano tool to plug it.

BTW, new motor EP800 has this conector in vertical orientation, avoiding the grit to get inside it.

sam-widgers

Jan 12, 2021
west yorkshire
The location of this connector in the motor is not the best, all grit and dirt goes in it, so it could be that when unplugging it, some grit made its way into the socket. Try to clean it with compressed air and use the Shimano tool to plug it.

BTW, new motor EP800 has this conector in vertical orientation, avoiding the grit to get inside it.

good call, you`re the second person to suggest compressed air in the connector,i`ve tried the pipe from the vacuum cleaner to no avail so compressed air has got to be worth a try. I`m waiting for delivery of a new speed sensor but will try again with the original set up first.
thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles