E8000 pulsation?

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I have had zero issues with the E8000 in my e160. Performance has been great, no weird noises or abnormal behavior except i have recently noticed that under load and moderate cadence there is a shudder or pulsation from the motor which can be felt through the pedals.

Most noticeable in boost or trail. Easy to reproduce if i whack it in boost mode and cruise up a hill at a constant speed. Pulsation/shuddering ouput from motor is felt. If i stand on the pedals a little harder or speed up my cadence the sensation tapers off and goes away.

Should i be worried, or possibly even get this checked out by the dealer? I am wondering if anyone else has experience this phenomenon? after trawling the forums i cannot see it mentioned anywhere.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have had zero issues with the E8000 in my e160. Performance has been great, no weird noises or abnormal behavior except i have recently noticed that under load and moderate cadence there is a shudder or pulsation from the motor which can be felt through the pedals.

Most noticeable in boost or trail. Easy to reproduce if i whack it in boost mode and cruise up a hill at a constant speed. Pulsation/shuddering ouput from motor is felt. If i stand on the pedals a little harder or speed up my cadence the sensation tapers off and goes away.

Should i be worried, or possibly even get this checked out by the dealer? I am wondering if anyone else has experience this phenomenon? after trawling the forums i cannot see it mentioned anywhere.

Is your firmware uptodate ? Sounds like the motor is modulating the power and it's not getting it perfect ? Ideally you should never cruise up a hill at a constant speed - every hill should be attacked with everything you have, then you won't notice any such problems :)

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Is your firmware uptodate ? Sounds like the motor is modulating the power and it's not getting it perfect ? Ideally you should never cruise up a hill at a constant speed - every hill should be attacked with everything you have, then you won't notice any such problems :)
I do not actually notice it on the trails but the odd occasion i ride it to work it's noticeable cruising on tarmac

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I do not actually notice it on the trails but the odd occasion i ride it to work it's noticeable cruising on tarmac
I take it you're not at the 25kph limit ? I sometimes notice mine makes a noise like birds tweeting, which I was convinced at first was birds tweeting ... Only notice it on tow paths or the rare tarmac sections.

Tony F

Sep 4, 2020
Gold Coast

Hi Dan
I have the same problem just start after 2000km of trail riding on a Merida E160. Did you find a solution?

Tony F

Sep 4, 2020
Gold Coast
Unfortunatley I've noticed the shutter/pulse too.

I have just had the pulsation / shudder start as well. Did you find a solution? It is not the 25 kph limit and only during a mid range cadence as you have described. It almost feels like a belt is slipping but there is no belt in the E8000 motors

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I've had it from the day I got the bike. It's when your in too high a gear with a high assist (mainly trail, boost but can happen in eco) but not enough cadence. Shimano is only happy at high cadence, load up the motor and it chucks a tantrum and shudders can be felt like you described.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles