E8000 power Failure

Paul66

Mar 30, 2022
England
Looking for help with Shimano E8000 power problem. A week ago the power went off, I was able to restart and rode for the rest of a 2hr session until the last mile when it cut out again, this tie it would not restart. Once home I went over all the connectors, unplugged, cleaned and sprayed contact cleaner onto each plug and socket, waiting for the contact cleaner to evaporate before reconnecting. I checked the comms cable between the motor and the display for continuity, all ok. When I powered back on the display lit up and the bike , whilst on the stand , worked ok. Over the next few days i checked that it was still powering up, all ok. At the weekend I rode, 2 miles in (rooty ride, no drops) it cut out, just be fore it cut out I notices E20, which is a connection issue. I called my local bike tech and dropped it into him yesterday, first issue is warranty is void because of ST Unlocker installed, 2nd issue is he has no idea what the problem is, when he plugged it in it returns no current error, it shows that there are errors from the past but nothing current. Ive had the bike for about 18 months, covered about 1400miles mainly riding downhill, no big drops, a few crashes but nothing that could be called excessive. Prior to the issue starting I had had it upside down replacing some Heli tape on the down tube, nothing else springs to mind.

Bike is a Mondraker Dusk R 2020. Thoughts are that it could be the power button, its mounted on the underside of the frame (daft place to fit the power button), even the Mondraker race team manager I spoke to said the team put heli tape over the switch to protect it, which I have always done.
Battery to motor cable?
Battery cradle/contacts?

Any Help appreciated.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Hi Paul,
I had a similar problem on my 2018 Merida e160 which has the old bt-e8010 external battery, it turned out to be the battery holder needed adjustment.
The problem i had was when I got to the bottom of a trail I noticed the power was off, it happened several times till I realised it was the bumps causing the battery to rattle and loose connection.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I also had the E020 error, read here how I fixed it:

It has been troble free since then.

Paul66

Mar 30, 2022
England
Looking for help with Shimano E8000 power problem. A week ago the power went off, I was able to restart and rode for the rest of a 2hr session until the last mile when it cut out again, this tie it would not restart. Once home I went over all the connectors, unplugged, cleaned and sprayed contact cleaner onto each plug and socket, waiting for the contact cleaner to evaporate before reconnecting. I checked the comms cable between the motor and the display for continuity, all ok. When I powered back on the display lit up and the bike , whilst on the stand , worked ok. Over the next few days i checked that it was still powering up, all ok. At the weekend I rode, 2 miles in (rooty ride, no drops) it cut out, just be fore it cut out I notices E20, which is a connection issue. I called my local bike tech and dropped it into him yesterday, first issue is warranty is void because of ST Unlocker installed, 2nd issue is he has no idea what the problem is, when he plugged it in it returns no current error, it shows that there are errors from the past but nothing current. Ive had the bike for about 18 months, covered about 1400miles mainly riding downhill, no big drops, a few crashes but nothing that could be called excessive. Prior to the issue starting I had had it upside down replacing some Heli tape on the down tube, nothing else springs to mind.

Bike is a Mondraker Dusk R 2020. Thoughts are that it could be the power button, its mounted on the underside of the frame (daft place to fit the power button), even the Mondraker race team manager I spoke to said the team put heli tape over the switch to protect it, which I have always done.
Battery to motor cable?
Battery cradle/contacts?

Any Help appreciated.
Finally got the issue sorted. The problem was the cable from the battery to the E8000. More specifically the issue was one of the female connectors in the E8000 plug in connector that had corroded reducing the contact until it no longer was able to conduct. See picture. Fortunately Winstanley Bikes team were awesome and Pursued Mondraker until a replacement was provided. 🤞the replacement cable sorts the issue and lasts longer than the previous one.

698C603F-1FD6-444F-AD5D-31F2BA39B228.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles