E8000 display doesn't always power up first time?

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
For a while now when I power on my bike, the display doesn't always power up (just stays blank). Sometime it does, some times it doesn't but if it doesn't and then I power the bike off then straight back on, then the display will always power up 2nd time around. Any thoughts?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Only that there could a loose connection somewhere? Battery or cable? But that would be weird if it is predictable like you are suggesting!

When it powers on (but display is off) does the rest of the E8000 system work? I.e. will the motor supply power when you pedal? Does pressing the assist mode shifter make any difference to motor power? (I wouldn't expect any of this stuff to work if the display is off …) Or is it just the light on the power switch coming on and nothing else?

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Only that there could a loose connection somewhere? Battery or cable? But that would be weird if it is predictable like you are suggesting!

When it powers on (but display is off) does the rest of the E8000 system work? I.e. will the motor supply power when you pedal? Does pressing the assist mode shifter make any difference to motor power? (I wouldn't expect any of this stuff to work if the display is off …) Or is it just the light on the power switch coming on and nothing else?
I haven’t actually checked to see if anything else works, I just see that the display hasn’t powered up so I power off the battery and power on again and it always works second time around. The display does this about 40% of the time. But I’ll check next time to see if everything else works and report back. I doubt it’s a loose connection because of how it powers up the second time without moving anything.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
On my Focus I had the problem that the Shimano display would light up with the Shimano Logo, and just stay like that.
For ages I had to ride not knowing which mode I was in, what speed I was going or anything.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have you tried starting it with choke ? :)

As others have said, it could be a connection problem. Mine had the weird on and off display/re-booting just from the cable being too tight, so unplug/re-plug all the connections an also check the cable routing.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Have you tried starting it with choke ? :)

As others have said, it could be a connection problem. Mine had the weird on and off display/re-booting just from the cable being too tight, so unplug/re-plug all the connections an also check the cable routing.

I'll unplug and re-plug the display, I do know there was heaps of slack inside the frame as I made sure of this recently when I had my dropper out.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
For a while now when I power on my bike, the display doesn't always power up (just stays blank). Sometime it does, some times it doesn't but if it doesn't and then I power the bike off then straight back on, then the display will always power up 2nd time around. Any thoughts?
Must be a Shimano thing. After having both our Merida‘s for around 18 months they both do that.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Took the bike out yesterday, turned it on and no display, no assistance functions work but gear changing does. Once again turned off and back on up comes the display. I should note that the display has never turned off mid ride and it only appears to do this when left overnight or for a few days.

I did pull the electrical side cover off and pulled all the power cables and re-seated with some dielectric grease around them, so I'll see if the display powers up this arvo.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I was going to say that I've never seen this happen on my E8000 … except I got rid of the display about a year ago! But even when I had the display connected I never experienced it.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Well I fired the bike up this morning after the bike had been sitting for over 24 hours and the the display powered up too.

I'll report back if it plays up again.

One thing I did do when I pulled all the motor connections was I put them back differently!
There are 3 small Di2 connections and a large main motor connection cable, originally the 3 Di2 connections were tucked behind the motor connection cable with the motor connection cable on the outside, in order to fit the connection cover you have to push the motor wire (where it comes out of the frame) inwards against the 3 Di2 connections and then they go on an angle. So I swapped them over, I placed the motor connection cable hard up against the motor and then placed the 3 Di2 connections to the outside, they seemed to terminate straight into their connection points with better alignment and the cover went on without having to push anything inwards.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Hopefully that's a fix, so what I'm understanding is that it doesn't matter what connection order they go in. Or are these connections just along a length of cable? Never looked under my cover so not 100% sure what lurks there, just trying to get a mental picture. On a completely different note Horspwr, have you replaced your chain yet? I'm over 1000km now and noticed my chain has a slack belly in it when I'm in the smallest cog at the back. Figure this is wear and tear as the derailleur is at it's full twist and still not taking out all the play in the chain. Have ordered the same chain, tho at $85 they are not cheap but figured better to replace the chain now rather than trash the cassette as well.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Hopefully that's a fix, so what I'm understanding is that it doesn't matter what connection order they go in. Or are these connections just along a length of cable? Never looked under my cover so not 100% sure what lurks there, just trying to get a mental picture. On a completely different note Horspwr, have you replaced your chain yet? I'm over 1000km now and noticed my chain has a slack belly in it when I'm in the smallest cog at the back. Figure this is wear and tear as the derailleur is at it's full twist and still not taking out all the play in the chain. Have ordered the same chain, tho at $85 they are not cheap but figured better to replace the chain now rather than trash the cassette as well.

The 3 Di2 connectors have to go into their correct holes it's just that originally they were behind the motor cable and I placed them in front.

I've got 950 kms on mine and everything still seems sweet, did 24 grueling ks this morning and it went like a dream, I bought a spare ebike chain a few months ago when it was dirt cheap in the UK and put it to one side.

Note:
In saying that, I've just checked my chain with a gauge and the 1.0% goes in easy but I don't think I'll change it yet, it still performs flawlessly.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Just to follow up, I've powered my bike up around a dozen times since I switched the cables around in the motor housing and the display has powered up first time every time so it appears to be fixed.

joxelitor

May 23, 2020
Spain
It´s a software bug, related to unproper closing of radio (bluetooth) sessions. In my case it started since firmware update to 4.7.1
I have had the same problem and the debug process was extensive, along months, changing, all cables, display, battery connector. After much researching I was able to replicate the problem by just switching off the battery with an open session on Etube or ETunning. Not always happen but definitely there is a clear relation.

Not a power or hardware issue, I also measured voltage on signal lines from motor to display and even though display was blank, voltage was correct. In those cases sometimes Di2 works, sometimes doesn´t. The connectors are all in perfect condition, clean and shiny

Powering off and on again from the battery is enough to restore the function on the display.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles