E8000 Custom Mapping in all modes.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Sounds interesting! I've been asking Shimano for higher resolution on the mapping/tuning, and I'm expecting a reply this week. But I don't expect them to deliver such a thing any time soon.

What kind of hardware changes will your solution require?

I think it's sad that you're enabling people to increase the speed limit though!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sad?
Really?
Nothing but tears of happiness here...
Midoriya.Izuku.full.2225058.gif

Omake%2BGif%2BAnime%2B-%2BBoku%2Bno%2BHero%2BAcademia%2B-%2BEpisode%2B18%2B-%2BIzuku%2BTears%2Bof%2BJoy.gif

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Sounds interesting! I've been asking Shimano for higher resolution on the mapping/tuning, and I'm expecting a reply this week. But I don't expect them to deliver such a thing any time soon.

What kind of hardware changes will your solution require?

I think it's sad that you're enabling people to increase the speed limit though!
Why is it sad re the speed limit?
I'm guessing that you are aware that if they want to do that, then it's all too easy just to buy a dongle or similar. Not everyone uses their bike on the road anyway.

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Guys,

I will soon have the software and hardware needed to do custom mapping in all modes, including eco. This will also include an option to go into race mode (higher speed restriction) and maintain correct speed and distance readings. Is there any interest in this?
Yes, i am definitely interested.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Doesn't work on latest Steps firmware update Jojo10 - last time I checked they weren't selling it and also need the SM-PCE1 module so it's getting on for £300 even if was available. It does let you change the speed restriction cut out point though

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Hello

Don't mixup two things.
There is a Software from eMax to change speed limit. This is not working with current firmware and with the latest Shimano bootloader you can even not downgrade the firmware to use the software.
But there is another software called FreeMax which costs nothing, works with latest firmware and bootloader and does the things discribed above.
Believe me, I'm using it with a 3 weeks old bike and had contact to the software guys.

Thanks

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Why is it sad re the speed limit?
I'm guessing that you are aware that if they want to do that, then it's all too easy just to buy a dongle or similar. Not everyone uses their bike on the road anyway.
Why is it sad? It just fuels and validates the arguments against ebikes and counterproductive for all of us in the long run. The 25kph assist limit and the 250W continuous power makes it a bicycle by the law. If you disable/increase the assist limit then it becomes a moped. If someone needs a higher assist speed just buy an s-pedelec, get insurance and license plate if required...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Right lets get back on topic - @coop69coop pretty much all of us would like something like Belevo for the Steps system, which can allow us to muck about more with the assistance levels and settings - if it has the ability to muck around with the limiter thats great too, and its up to those who download it how they use it.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
@coop69coop
Are you able to read from the system how much current the can be drawn in all 7 settings? Eco, Trail 1-4, Boost 5-7. Any metric will do, W, A, Nm...

Dealers selling derestriction kits can be held responsible. I would assess the risk before making/selling such an app.
Bike EU

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
Hi Guys,

I will soon have the software and hardware needed to do custom mapping in all modes, including eco. This will also include an option to go into race mode (higher speed restriction) and maintain correct speed and distance readings. Is there any interest in this?
I'd take a look but not that interested in a higher speed.

coop69coop

Oct 11, 2018
Bristol
Morning guys,

It is the Eplus software I am talking about , I am a dealer and looking at taking this semi-mobile. I could say meet you at a trail centre or something, I ride at the Forest of Dean a lot for example. I am currently testing the software and there appears to be no drawbacks at this stage, the software is compatible with the latest firmware. It is also app controlled in the pro version , very much like the mission specialized app.

I will post back here when I have finished testing and am happy that it’s ready.

Pro Shimano | eplus

Look here ,

Cheers

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Interesting thread what would be great with shimano is another speed mode eco and trail don’t really cover the most used ranges enough for me
Something lower than the current eco would be great ,especially for when riding with normal bikes or trying to get a long distance from the battery low and high eco perhaps
Medium trail is great for harder climbs but the low trail setting is too close to eco

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Interesting thread what would be great with shimano is another speed mode eco and trail don’t really cover the most used ranges enough for me
Something lower than the current eco would be great ,especially for when riding with normal bikes or trying to get a long distance from the battery low and high eco perhaps
Medium trail is great for harder climbs but the low trail setting is too close to eco

For me, if Eco would be adjustable like Trail and Boost that would be enough. I'm using Eco and Trail, set to medium. Boost is set to high but I don't remember the last time I used it...

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
For me, if Eco would be adjustable like Trail and Boost that would be enough. I'm using Eco and Trail, set to medium. Boost is set to high but I don't remember the last time I used it...

That would be better Iam being fussy here because I think it’s the best motor already and iam very happy with what I’ve got really
I just leave it as standard because the levels of change between low and medium are a bit too much
In low I can hardly tell trail from eco

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
That would be better Iam being fussy here because I think it’s the best motor already and iam very happy with what I’ve got really
I just leave it as standard because the levels of change between low and medium are a bit too much
In low I can hardly tell trail from eco
Same here, I tried Trail low but it was like Eco.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I just ride mine switched off* if I'm riding with non Ebikes
Eco is fine for me. any less and it wouldn't really feel like an Ebike
Trail I set to Medium because it wasn't enough of a difference in low
Boost to high beacuse.. well... why have a hyperspace button on your spaceship and not use it?

The assist mode tuning in the STEPS app is already good enough for me, where an aftermarket app would be more useful for me is customising how the assist levels relative to cadence and torque and adjusting at what speed and how the assist cuts in and out. (independently for each mode if possible)

*actually I also ride mine switched off riding alone and with other Ebikes, I don't warm up if I start a ride in eco and feel like I've barely had a work out from the pedalling if I do a whole ride assisted

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles