E8000 "bottom bracket" bearing play after 1400km

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I checked my bike and I noticed some play in the "bottom bracket" bearing on the drive side. I contacted Commencal they said I am the first one with this problem and asked me to make a video and send it to them. The bike has 1420km and I find it early to have this problem but I saw a post on a German forum with the same issue after 1500km.
Anybody here had this problem?

Screenshot 2018-06-06 12.29.10.jpg

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I checked my bike and I noticed some play in the "bottom bracket" bearing on the drive side. I contacted Commencal they said I am the first one with this problem and asked me to make a video and send it to them. The bike has 1420km and I find it early to have this problem but I saw a post on a German forum with the same issue after 1500km.
Anybody here had this problem?

Mine is ok so far with a similar distance covered.
Will be interesting to see what the support is like & how long it takes to rectify it.
The Commencal bikes are direct purchase aren’t they? Can you get it sorted by a local Shimano rep or does the bike have to go back?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Will be interesting to see what the support is like & how long it takes to rectify it.
The Commencal bikes are direct purchase aren’t they? Can you get it sorted by a local Shimano rep or does the bike have to go back?
Yes, Commencal is direct sales. Shimano EU told me to contact my local Shimano rep (Paul Lange Hungary) which I did. They were true to their reputation and basically told me to f*ck off... :)
I contacted Commencal and I will find out in the next couple of days what to do but I won't send the whole bike back just the motor.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Yes, Commencal is direct sales. Shimano EU told me to contact my local Shimano rep (Paul Lange Hungary) which I did. They were true to their reputation and basically told me to f*ck off... :)
I contacted Commencal and I will find out in the next couple of days what to do but I won't send the whole bike back just the motor.

Keep us posted

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
is it definitely the bottom bracket and not the chainring lock ring or crank arms?
Unfortunately, it is 100% bottom bracket. Everything is torqued down properly and the play is in the bearing. I see it, feel it, hear it... Tomorrow I will make the video and I will link it here.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
We’ve had 2 lots of shimano warranty sorted this year. Both items went back to the main uk dealer which I think is madison and they were all sorted very quickly no questions asked within the week , so hopefully they will be on the ball in the uk at least .

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Was it the same issue or something different?
No both items were Xt brakes failing , they were all replaced immediately , although I expect a motor will get repaired . The bikes were both giants , giant and I believe other makes don’t deal with thier non manufacturer parts , the dealer or customer just has to send them to the main uk distributor . We also had a set of fox factory forks repaired in the same way . I think it’s down to how helpful a dealer wants to be if they didn’t sell the bike to you , but dealing direct is perhaps easier , if your happy to remove and send off the motor which isn’t a difficult job if your happy with diy mechanics

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Commencal state that one of the reasons they chose Shimano was so that thier customers could directly access the extensive Shimano dealer network to deal with any waranty issues, regardless of where they are in the World. Lets hope they are right, I would be extremely dissapointed with Shimano if they don't help you with this locally. Hope it get's sorted quickly for you Tamas. Please keep us informed on your progress :(

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Cut and paste from the Commencal site.........

After-sales services
For several years, COMMENCAL has been selling bikes online, direct to the consumer.
From SHIMANO’s side, the E8000 is their absolute priority.
SHIMANO provide a global after-sales service (one of the broadest in the industry)
and will be able to give customers a fast and efficient service.
The SHIMANO E-TUBE app (http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/) which is downloadable on all smartphones,
tablets and PC computers gives the customer the ability to personalise and update their system settings through Bluetooth connection.

COMMENCAL also put in place all the means to enquire, help and troubleshoot.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
So here is the “progress report”.
Commencal customer service is very responsive and helpful. They contacted and sent my video to Shimano which responded saying this is a “functional play”. It is a complete BS but Commencal said don’t worry just ride the bike because we have the emails showing that I reported the issue in time and they will take care about it if it will be worse.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
After watching Tamas's video I decided too Strip mine down to see what the seal between the motor and the BB was like and I have to say it looked pretty good, a little bit of crud but nothing horrendous, but I decided to clean it out and pack with the area with waterproof grease before refitting everything, can't do any harm. Did the same to my Bosch CX and it never gave any problems.

A bit disappointing from Shimano, will be interesting to see who else has 20180517_194408.jpg 20180517_191522.jpg 20180517_191443.jpg play in their BB bearings, I'm sure after Tamas's experience everyone will be checking.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
After watching Tamas's video I decided too Strip mine down to see what the seal between the motor and the BB was like and I have to say it looked pretty good, a little bit of crud but nothing horrendous, but I decided to clean it out and pack with the area with waterproof grease before refitting everything, can't do any harm. Did the same to my Bosch CX and it never gave any problems.
A bit disappointing from Shimano, will be interesting to see who else has play in their BB bearings, I'm sure after Tamas's experience everyone will be checking.

Greasing is always a good idea. :) Shimano BBs have good seals in my experience - at least in the weather conditions I'm riding. The XTs in my enduro are in their third season and they are still running smoothly.
I think in the E8000 the problem can be the assist engagement. It kicks in harshly and wears out the BB bearings prematurely.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Unexpected update on my issue.
After the Shimano representative, Paul Lange Hungary's customer service person pretty much told me to "f*ck off" their QC manager sent me an email asking for details. I sent him the video and some pictures and we had a conversation to make sure it isn't a loose bolt or missing spacer. The guy was very helpful and now I received an email from him saying that he ordered a new motor and mine will be replaced when it arrives. Sounds good to me, see how it goes...
During our email conversation, I thanked him for his helpfulness and told him that I expected the same attitude at first but it's better late than never... :)

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I checked mine, maybe a mm of lateral play in bottom bracket when pushing in on the drive side. No play on the motor/chain ring.

IMG_20180528_140835.jpg IMG_20180528_140836.jpg

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I figured the lateral play was fine as it's spring loaded. If this wasn't an e-bike, any play in the bottom bracket would be a major issue.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I figured the lateral play was fine as it's spring loaded. If this wasn't an e-bike, any play in the bottom bracket would be a major issue.
I don’t think that lateral play should be there , have you tried slackening the pinch bolts on the cranks and gently tightening the centre screw . It should only be hand tight enough to remove the lateral play . If not there is usually a plastic shim used to take up the play on a normal Bike .

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I don’t think that lateral play should be there , have you tried slackening the pinch bolts on the cranks and gently tightening the centre screw . It should only be hand tight enough to remove the lateral play . If not there is usually a plastic shim used to take up the play on a normal Bike .
mine also have lat play. I have taken everything all and tightened the stuff I could. It seems to be the BB itself that has a bit of play. Nothing I can do about it I think, and I don't think it's a problem. Time will tell I guess hah

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Well you are correct there is a tiny amount of spring loaded lateral play when I push on the rhs crank , as you say I guess it’s normal

Jan 18, 2018
Australia
Hi all.

I too have the E8000 system on my Merida. At the 1000km mark there was a lateral movement of about 1-2mm. If I grab both the left and right crank arm, the movement goes all the way through to both.

I had a thought to find a new bike with a new E8000 motor and check the movement there. Anyone does this?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi all.

I too have the E8000 system on my Merida. At the 1000km mark there was a lateral movement of about 1-2mm. If I grab both the left and right crank arm, the movement goes all the way through to both.

I had a thought to find a new bike with a new E8000 motor and check the movement there. Anyone does this?

This what I received from Commencal when I sent them email about the issue:

"If the play is between the crank spindle and the motor that's normal, Shimano just answered this is a functional play. Shimano does consider this is normal to have play, up to 2 mm there is no reason to be worried about it."

This refers to lateral play but in my case it is not that.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Hi all.

mine is quite new, and has this lateral play

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles