Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TeemingCooperativeCoqui-size_restricted.gif

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
Not sure if its relevant but my shimano bike had a creak when peddling and I was concerned it was BB wear as I use the bike alot and its high on miles. I also convinced myself it maybe the mounting bolts that hold the motor onto the frame.

the creak had been around a long time

To cut a long story short it was the Torq bolts that hold the motor case together they had all losened and allowed the casing some movement when peddling under load. I cranked them up and its silent. Been fine for months now and im on 3000 miles

This had been driving me nuts.

wilda

Aug 17, 2019
cz
Hello. Do you have pads under the cranks as shown? I don't have them there. Could it affect center clearance and clicks?

bandicam 2019-08-17 12-00-47-994.jpg

bandicam 2019-08-17 12-01-22-378.jpg

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Not sure if its relevant but my shimano bike had a creak when peddling and I was concerned it was BB wear as I use the bike alot and its high on miles. I also convinced myself it maybe the mounting bolts that hold the motor onto the frame.

the creak had been around a long time

To cut a long story short it was the Torq bolts that hold the motor case together they had all losened and allowed the casing some movement when peddling under load. I cranked them up and its silent. Been fine for months now and im on 3000 miles

This had been driving me nuts.

Do you know the correct torque settings?

jpaulo.emtb

Sep 12, 2018
Portugal

Vitus E-Sommet VR
3 months old.
Started around 600 miles.
Worsened over time.
Everything on the bike is fitted correctly, tight and correctly torqued. Ie. it's the motor, not mounting bolts/crank interface/chainring lockring/ pivots/ headset etc.

I've contacted CRC about warranty already. Any advice?
I've an incling it might just be an internal bearing. But I have no idea what's actually inside Mr shimano's magic box

I have exactly the same problem!

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
Just had the motor replaced under warranty, 2000 miles. Had noticeable play when rocking the crank (pulling it away from bike at the end) that transmitted through to other crank, which was getting worse. Will add crank rocking to my post ride checks.

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Just had the motor replaced under warranty, 2000 miles. Had noticeable play when rocking the crank (pulling it away from bike at the end) that transmitted through to other crank, which was getting worse. Will add crank rocking to my post ride checks.

I’ve felt slight crack play in every e8000 I have tested, but I’m guessing yours was a more serious.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I’ve felt slight crack play in every e8000 I have tested.

That's because the E8000/7000 crank axle is a sprung/floating design.

I have an incling repeated side loading of the bearings (from sideways landings, whips, drifts etc.) may be part of the explanation as to why my axle bearings simply don't last.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I’ve felt slight crack play in every e8000 I have tested, but I’m guessing yours was a more serious.

hi,
yep, if you pulled one crank towards you at the pedal end you could see the other side noticeably move at the pedal end, and there was a clearly audible banging when you rocked it back and forwards vigorously, it had got worse over time. As it was way, way beyond the movement at which I would have replaced a standard hollow tech bb I hoped it would be warranty and it was.

Dantez

May 24, 2020
Russia
Hello all friends! Tell me I also have this problem and I do not understand to contact shimano or not? Why do Shimano say that this is normal and change the motors? sorry bad english. My problem is in the video

Heathogo

May 3, 2020
Australia
Hi All,

I've had nothing but problems with my e8000, on a Merida e160 800se which is less than 6 months old. First motor only lasted 1000km before BB failed, second motor is now being replaced after 200km, with a clicking sound coming from the motor when the LHS crank is under load. (3 weeks with new motor and mainly urban, easy off road!), metal fragments could be seen where the moving crank off centre has chewed into the motor casing.
Add this to the failed rear tyre, dropper post and slx hub and the bike has spent 1/3 of its life back getting repaired!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hello all friends! Tell me I also have this problem and I do not understand to contact shimano or not? Why do Shimano say that this is normal and change the motors? sorry bad english. My problem is in the video

Yes. Your bearings have play.

No. It's not normal.
Well... it is normal... because they all do it after being actually used for mountainbiking. But it's not acceptible.

Heathogo

May 3, 2020
Australia

QUOTE="electricbogaloo, post: 172330, member: 8960"]
I read that a slight play is normal for the e8000. I noticed it around 500km so I think it was there from the start.
[/QUOTE]

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Well after fitting a new rear hub I was hoping to be issue free for a while, unfortunately I'm now getting a creak from the left hand crank, near the bottom of the down stroke, I can also feel it through my foot.

I'm thinking it could be the start of the bearings playing up, is there anything I should be doing, like checking the tightness of certain things?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Well after fitting a new rear hub I was hoping to be issue free for a while, unfortunately I'm now getting a creak from the left hand crank, near the bottom of the down stroke, I can also feel it through my foot.

I'm thinking it could be the start of the bearings playing up, is there anything I should be doing, like checking the tightness of certain things?

Before you assume the worst, simply remove the crankarm, lube the splines, reinstall, try to use the plastic crankarm cap to get them extra well seated, and tighten the crank bolts to spec. 90% likely that quiets it down. Also check your pedal to see if it is the source of the creak.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Before you assume the worst, simply remove the crankarm, lube the splines, reinstall, try to use the plastic crankarm cap to get them extra well seated, and tighten the crank bolts to spec. 90% likely that quiets it down. Also check your pedal to see if it is the source of the creak.

Thanks, I've got six months left on my warranty so I'd rather it did fail sooner rather than later, I will try what you suggest though.

I did think about the pedals so I swapped them but the problem is still there.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
My E7000 has also developed a lateral move a bit after 1900 miles in 7 months. I don't recall having this movement before.
I called Shimano USA, and was told it is normal after awhile with 1-2 mm movement.
I don't feel it while riding, no unusual noise either, all seems normal.
I am afraid the play will get worse overtime.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Can't really tell from your video if it's lateral play at rhe axle or angular play through the bearings. Hold the chainring/spider at each side and rock it to see if it has angular play.
if so it's fucked.
Brand new all Shimano motors have a little lateral play because of the foating axle design.
angular play will begin to creak like hell in use. I've never got anywhere near 1700miles out of any shimano motor without the bearings developing angular play. it's very much not normal. It's a pretty big failure on Shimano's part.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
Thanks Gary.
so far no angular play, just that in / out movement, like 1-2mm which Shimano said it is normal. I tried it with my both hands pressing the chainring, also move around up/down.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
I emailed Shimano, and he responded basically saying after watching the video, the lateral move is still within the spec, it is safe to ride.
I'll just keep riding it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles