• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered E7000 display odometer discrepancy

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
I've had my new bike a couple of days and ridden about 25mile nor so, tonight whilst looking through the setting I've spotted the ODO reads only 9 miles ?? Anyone have any idea why or how to fix it ?
TIA

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
I've reset all the last trip (short term memory) the Odometer cant be reset ? ...if the bike is powered on but the assist is off on the display will it still clock up the miles ?

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
I tend to ride alot on the flat with it off so was thinking it was maybe that I'll will test it in the morning over a measured mile using strava and my garmin and see what it shows
Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The motor just counts rear wheel revolutions and multiplys by the set wheel circumference to measure distance.
if you've derestricted your motor with a chip or box it'll only count every second revolution so calculate half the distance.
Apps like Stunlocker can fool the motor a number of ways but most will also result in less speed/mileage being recorded
If you've changed wheel circumference it'll calculate distance based on that measurement.
if you ride with the motor ON but in OFF mode it should still count every wheel revolution
If you ride with the motor completely OFF (battery switched off or removed) it won't (AFAIK)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Also, if you haven't derestricted, have a look at the magnet and pickup. Although if your display is showing your speed, that rules that theory out. Put display on speed, lift rear wheel and give one hard down stroke on the pedal while you're standing next to the bike - is the speedo registering?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I tend to ride alot on the flat with it off so was thinking it was maybe that I'll will test it in the morning over a measured mile using strava and my garmin and see what it shows
Thanks
When you say "with it off", do you mean not powered on? Or powered on but not providing assistance? If not powered on, it won't record. If on, but not providing assistance, it will record.

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
So just done a mile ...exactly 1 mile on strava and Garmin and the bike reads 1.1 mile so as near an it can be ....its very strange I'll review it again over a longer commute later in the week

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
Been out for a ride this evening did about 12 miles ..Odometer was reading fine !! Until I switched the bike off .....when I switched it back on the ODO jad changed from 25miles down to 12miles and the DST from 12.1 to 0.9 miles ..time travelled from 38mins to 4mins. However the clock was still correct
It looks as it its losing memory ??? But the bike is running absolutely fine
So I've now done around 45 miles on the bike but it's only displaying that I have done a total of 12miles !!
Faulty drive unit or faulty computer ??

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
After speaking to shimano to diagnose the fault, it was put down to user error. The bike needs time to store the memory andni was powering the bike down before it had chance to do this, I have been advised to leave the bike to power its self down or leaving it 2 or 3 mins after coming to a stop to allow this to happen

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Been out for a ride this evening did about 12 miles ..Odometer was reading fine !! Until I switched the bike off .....when I switched it back on the ODO jad changed from 25miles down to 12miles and the DST from 12.1 to 0.9 miles ..time travelled from 38mins to 4mins. However the clock was still correct
It looks as it its losing memory ??? But the bike is running absolutely fine
So I've now done around 45 miles on the bike but it's only displaying that I have done a total of 12miles !!
Faulty drive unit or faulty computer ??
Definitely something that is going on with your specific bike. I routinely turn my bike off immediately after finishing a ride, as I’m sure many of us do, with no issues like this. I immediately thought “BS” when I read that Shimano told you to wait three minutes to turn the bike off or let it power itself down. That’s just crazy!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Definitely something that is going on with your specific bike. I routinely turn my bike off immediately after finishing a ride, as I’m sure many of us do, with no issues like this. I immediately thought “BS” when I read that Shimano told you to wait three minutes to turn the bike off or let it power itself down. That’s just crazy!
When you say "faulty memory", that is probably exactly what it is. It must have some memory for storage - and you can get faulty memory. It doesn't look like a software issue. Anyway, it's looking like a warranty issue

Benny22

May 9, 2020
Otley
It's been working fine since leaving before powering down, I was switching it off before I'd even come to a stand still and that's what they told me was the issue, once my LBS is back open fully I'll get them to look at it and hopefully they will help with the warranty as it's a CRC bike and dont fancy shipping it back to Belfast if I dont have to !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles