E160 with 29er wheels

Jsparks1988

Jun 26, 2019
Kent, uk
Hi all new to the forum. I have just brought a e160-600. Really enjoying the bike. I am thinking of sticking some 29er wheels back and front off of my hardtail. Anyone changed both ends or just the front?

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
I've gone 29" front with the minion DHR 2.3 too and I love it. I can't find any downsides and it works really well with the standard rear. Where I ride when it is wet I really felt that the fatter tyre just drifted over the surface. Now it digs in and gives me confidence. I had initially thought about going for slightly smaller cranks but a plus of this set up is that it probably raises up the bottom bracket by 5mm or so too. In any case I'm not suffering from pedal strikes.
I managed to get a DT Swiss XR1501 from Chain reaction for a great price. I was worried that it would be a touch too narrow but it rides really well.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Well I did a 20k test ride today on the new 29" front wheel. Initial thoughts are, my riding position is more upright and reminds me of sitting on a motocross bike. This is a plus for me as there is less pressure on my hands, elbows and back. The pedals have heaps more clearance and I was deliberately lazy and reckless pedaling through G outs and rocky outcrops with out even a snick on the pedals. Lofting the front wheel over rocky jump ups is easier than before.

In fairness it's not an apples for apples test as I fitted a different front tyre to the 29" as opposed to what was on my 27.5". The new front tyre is sensational and will now become my go to tyre, heaps of grip everywhere and no sketchiness when transitioning from center knobs to the outside knobs. Initially I had too much air in it (25 psi) so I dropped it down to 20 psi and it performed much better and gave me back the suppleness I'd experienced previously with the 27.5"

On the way back home is a hellishly steep rock strewn winding track, I can ride up this track and this time I did notice that I had to try and get more weight over the bars as the front wheel was tending to get more air than in the past but this track is a one of, not something you'd experience in many places in everyday riding.

Will I keep it on?
I might get the exact same tyre and re-rubber my 27.5" and see how that goes in comparison but if I did I'd have to fit up the shorter Miranda cranks (155) I've got sitting in the shed. I'll do several more rides and switch back and forth between the two before I could say that it's staying on for good. I'll keep you posted.

Nebben00

May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hi all new to the forum. I have just brought a e160-600. Really enjoying the bike. I am thinking of sticking some 29er wheels back and front off of my hardtail. Anyone changed both ends or just the front?
Hi me and my freind have 29 on our 900es makes a new bike 2. 8 back and 2.5 Eddy Current front. The tire makes The biggest difference but you get slacker HA. I Will try to get a smaller spacer on The headset to get The cockpit lower. I sees NO point with 29 in The back. By sorter crans

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Yeah absolutely rockets downhill over stuff that on my old 26" hardtail I would definately think twice about going over and down. Long live the MULLET!
Currently trying to beat my Strava time down a section near my place in the Glasshouse Mts. Really great fun and I can't wait to get home of an afternoon to get out on it again.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Enjoying the mullet setup too. 2.5 maxxis assegai up front on 29er.

Going to a 2.6 Tyre up back is even better. Lowers the bottom bracket and slackens the head angle that tiny bit more. I didn’t like the vague feeling with the 2.8’s. Too wallowy and I could burp them without too much effort.

However a crank swap is on the cards now due to the lower bb. Handling is greatly improved.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Enjoying the mullet setup too. 2.5 maxxis assegai up front on 29er.

Going to a 2.6 Tyre up back is even better. Lowers the bottom bracket and slackens the head angle that tiny bit more. I didn’t like the vague feeling with the 2.8’s. Too wallowy and I could burp them without too much effort.

However a crank swap is on the cards now due to the lower bb. Handling is greatly improved.

I may have a brand new set of Miranda 155s up for grabs if you want (Shimano spec)
I went to a 2.6 Continental on the back which has been faultless in its puncture resistance.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
hi HORSPWR, What wheel and tyre are you running on your front. Also did your disk bolt straight on?

I’m running a complete wheel from Raceface. It has a 30mm width inner rim measurement and I’ve teamed it up with a Maxiss Assagai which I find brilliant in a 2.5. The wheel was ready to rock and roll tubeless and the tyre was ridiculously easy to fit, it holds my set psi for weeks.

Brake rotor bolted straight up no issues.

Race Face Aeffect R 30 Front Wheel

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles