E160 frame / motor protection

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
I often ride where there is a lot of loose rocks getting thrown up by the front wheel, I have damage to both sides of my Shimano motor from this and also to the cranks, if the rockguardz was a bit thicker and slightly wider it would probably be ok but as it is I don't think in the long term it will work mainly because I can't see it surviving the rock strikes

Last edited:

AusE

Dec 3, 2019
Australia
So whats the guts on rockguardz motor guard are they ok or not, Ive got a 2020 9000 and they seem to be the only ones I can find. I wonder how they attach...

Paulpetta

Mar 18, 2019
Palm Cove
So whats the guts on rockguardz motor guard are they ok or not, Ive got a 2020 9000 and they seem to be the only ones I can find. I wonder how they attach...
Hello AusE, please bear with me a week or so for the Rockguardz motor guards to show up here in Australia. Then, I will have a comprehensive answer for you.. I do ride a 2020 8000..Here the link to my webshop: eBikes Parts & Accessories

Funfunfun

Dec 27, 2019
Australiz, Sydney
Cheers for your opinion, it's good to hear what people think. I try not to be negative about other guards but they are not really designed to do the same thing.
Making mine wider to cover the frame has been suggested a few times but to do that I would have to thin the material down and for the purpose it was designed for that's not an option. It's main purpose is to protect the motor and enable riders to tackle obstacles such as large rocks and tree roots etc that they would normally avoid, confident in the knowledge that if they don't manage to hop over something they won't break anything.
You say you are already having trouble with the clearance but the chainring is the lowest point by quite a long way, apart from the crank arms, obviously :D which everyone seems to clobber. That's reason I keep the guard as thick as it is, to cover the chainring as well. It actually sits at the same height so if you hit the guard you would have hit the chainring anyway.
At the end of the day everyone is different and have different opinions etc it's all good and just creates more publicity. People can make their own judgements on what works best for themselves.
Thinking about it...…. if folk bought a RG guard and then one of mine fitted over the top, that would give total protection, everyone's a winner (y)
Hi, so much would be one of your guards posted to aus, 2232, NSW? Can pay via sterling or dollar.

Pinned

Nov 5, 2019
Adelaide
Knocked this up over the weekend. A mate had some leftover 6mm nylon type stuff, so a jigsaw, hairdryer and some heavy duty velcro plus a couple of hours of fiddling and I reckon it turned out ok.
A dozen runs down some rocky trails and it held on like a champ.
20200110_153053.jpg
20200110_153133.jpg
20200110_152655.jpg
20200111_154828.jpg

BigAl28

Jan 13, 2020
Southeast
Just ordered one of RallySaloon’s via eBay - haven’t even got the bike yet, but wanna make sure the bike is properly protected from day one when it arrives, and there’s currently nothing else readily available that’s comes close that I can find. Happy to pay the price especially for the peace of mind it gives, and a replacement promise that’ll unlikely ever need to be used. Now - WHERES MY DAMN BIKE ?

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Knocked this up over the weekend. A mate had some leftover 6mm nylon type stuff, so a jigsaw, hairdryer and some heavy duty velcro plus a couple of hours of fiddling and I reckon it turned out ok.
A dozen runs down some rocky trails and it held on like a champ. View attachment 24489 View attachment 24490 View attachment 24491 View attachment 24492
Nice job, I've got one of rallysaloons ones on my Merida and yours looks just as good. How have you mounted it at the back under the motor as can't see in the pics. A mate up here in Qld looking for one ATM, any chance you make more and start yourself up a side gig. Otherwise you have been inspirational and might give it a go myself for him, cheers Steve

Pinned

Nov 5, 2019
Adelaide
Nice job, I've got one of rallysaloons ones on my Merida and yours looks just as good. How have you mounted it at the back under the motor as can't see in the pics. A mate up here in Qld looking for one ATM, any chance you make more and start yourself up a side gig. Otherwise you have been inspirational and might give it a go myself for him, cheers Steve

Just using heavy duty velcro. Sticks like shit to a blanket. Straps just a backup safety really.
Seriously dude, if you can get the material ( still trying to find out exactly what it is. A type of nylon) just make a cardboard template to get the measurements. Cut out and mark out. Vice and a hairdryer. Job done.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
My experience from MX is that carbon fibre deforms with impact. What this means is that impacts to the guard are sent through to the (exhaust header) part behind...The carbon cracks and the metal is dented anyway ! Ouch...
Its a shame @Rallysaloon that you didnt explain it more clearly in the description for your gaurds...I had no idea that you had engineered a bracket, let alone had it anodised , and couldn't justify £45 +P&P when its basically just recycled ABS, cut and formed with heat....
Chain ring protection is definitely a thing- in fact, it needs to be an entire "skid plate", which I think you have achieved.It might be overkill for some riders and terrain. I have a plastic ABS skid plate on my Husqvarna 2T as standard and an aluminium one for heavier duty situations- depends where you are riding!?
Like all these things, they will get very dirty behind and damage the paint/frame..so need to be removed and cleaned thoroughly on a regilar basis from my experience...but perhaps Im a bit OCD !!?!

@Husky430...Its just (recycled) ABS plastic...
ABS Plastic Sheets | 1.0mm - 6.0mm Cut To Size In A Range Of Colours

Last edited:

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Just using heavy duty velcro. Sticks like shit to a blanket. Straps just a backup safety really.
Seriously dude, if you can get the material ( still trying to find out exactly what it is. A type of nylon) just make a cardboard template to get the measurements. Cut out and mark out. Vice and a hairdryer. Job done.

Any more news on the material?

Pinned

Nov 5, 2019
Adelaide
Any more news on the material?

Sorry for the delay was a long weekend here with mint weather, so i was out riding.

Just popped into my local sign shop, and as Beatn1K said its just an ABS plastic.
Rough size of mine is 400mm x 110mm x 5mm. A whole sheet (2400 x 1200) was only $250, so an offcut should be cheap as. Give it go.
The velcro holds superb too, 63 runs of our local rocky stuff and i still had to pull hard to get it off this morning for measuring.

inCollage_20200129_095152318[1].jpg

fireon

Feb 6, 2020
Sweden
I followed Pinned's design and modified it a bit. Really satisfied with the snug fit and discreet looks. I used 3.2mm Kydex, stronger and more impact resistant than ABS. Also easier to find online. Very easy material to work with. A heat gun makes the job easy. Used heavy duty velcro to attach it to the frame and motor.
0086EDBD-8A54-4498-9BA5-822BF178817B.jpeg
9B043E0D-7786-4966-8932-4B21CD1AC5B7.jpeg
B37EEE8D-6EA3-4A0D-AC5B-5321AA356B2E.jpeg
1144FE37-A29B-43B4-B9BB-404D21FE41E6.jpeg
84F6169B-A1D9-4762-87F7-B25182C11771.jpeg

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
20200513_140242.jpg

Ordered yesterday and arrived today! Will get it fitted tonight and hopefully for a ride over the weekend if an injury clears up.

Cheers to RallySaloon. Really didn't expect it to arrive so quickly.

Paulpetta

Mar 18, 2019
Palm Cove
I followed Pinned's design and modified it a bit. Really satisfied with the snug fit and discreet looks. I used 3.2mm Kydex, stronger and more impact resistant than ABS. Also easier to find online. Very easy material to work with. A heat gun makes the job easy. Used heavy duty velcro to attach it to the frame and motor.
View attachment 28151
View attachment 28150
View attachment 28149
View attachment 28148
View attachment 28147
Nice job in making that bash plate. Nice look and surely it will give plenty of protection..

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Feedback on the Rockguardz 2019 anyone?
How does it mount at the back/under the motor - can it easily be removed for cleaning? Is it secure?
Does it dig into the paint at all and scuff it off over time?

Paulpetta

Mar 18, 2019
Palm Cove
Feedback on the Rockguardz 2019 anyone?
How does it mount at the back/under the motor - can it easily be removed for cleaning? Is it secure?
Does it dig into the paint at all and scuff it off over time?

With an adhesive Velcro strap. yes it takes few second to remove it. yes it is pretty secure. Doesnt touch the frame at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles