E160 800 cable cut coming out of handle bar

PGR

May 12, 2019
Australia
So my day started out great, sunny, no wind, and plenty of time to have a day riding? well so I thought. I did manage to have a little ride about 20km into the bush and then it happened just as I landed of the second jump. It was like as if someone reached down and turned off my bike. It had me a little puzzled at first trying to turn it back on with no success. And then I notice a Black wire dangling down from the centre of the handlebars and on further examination I’ve noticed that the handlebars had spun just enough for the clamp to cut the wire clean in half. It’s as if the hole in the centre of my handlebars has been put in the wrong place. Anyway my problem now is that I have soldered The two little wires back together and put on a peace of heat shrink, hopping that was all that would be required. But I cannot get it to turn back on ? No Power whatsoever to the little display screen on the handlebars but I can turn the battery on when it is taken out of the bike so I’m wondering is it the little display screen that is stuffed and do I need to take it to the bike shop to get it plugged in to the computer and update or re-calibrated if I get a new screen ?
My apologies for the long winded message.
FBBDBB0E-AEFC-4363-97BB-A112C3DC5F57.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sheeeeet ...

I don't suppose you can temporarily take the display off, remove the cable for the control switch (the cable should pull out) and use that cable to plug the display into the motor outlet (remove left hand motor cover) to see if the display still works. if it does then you just need to buy a new main cable.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Are you sure the other end of the cable is properly pushed into the display? and also check that the cable is fixed correctly at the motor. You can buy replacement cables.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I did a similar thing, re soldered heat shrinked the cable and it works, but only after I gave the plug another push until it clicked into the display

PGR

May 12, 2019
Australia
I couldn’t sleep last night until I definitely new what the problem was, did I need a new display screen along with the new cable ? I wasn’t sure. So I decided to have one more play and try and work out why it wouldn’t turn back on. And I happily discovered that I’m not good at soldering tiny wires together ? So you guys were right. The only thing I had to order was the new Shimano EW-SD50 700mm Long cable, about $50 and it should be here Friday. In the meantime I might have one more go at joining the cables just so I have a spare if ever I need it,or a friend to get out of trouble... definitely don’t want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere and have it happen again.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Mine was just like yours, the hole for the cables is poorly placed and if you rotate the bars to where they're comfortable then the hole is half cut off. I did one ride and then threw them in the bin and ran my cables externally with a set of Deity bars.

PGR

May 12, 2019
Australia
Had a bit of success with the cable today I managed to get a good join using these new little solder heat shirk joiners.. my new cable should be turning up Friday but at lest I have my baby going again until then ??

B8704F28-E215-4BD5-8BC4-586AA179455D.jpeg

A6124881-48E4-4BBB-8003-8E149FF726D5.jpeg

16C2C213-56CA-4725-AB31-27E29B036FD2.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Good job, it is a freekin tiny cable to do any work on. You get the Surgery gold star of the week.

I think someone on the forum earlier in the week mentioned a cable for £14, but I can't find the thread and can't remember what it related to now. Still, if you're wanting it shipped to Aus by camel it's still going to work out quite expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles