E140

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Isn't it just the same bike with less stroke in the shock and less travel in the fork?
Kinda looks like it - presumably re-using the frame in this way means the sky high prices will also be a feature of the 140...

"COMPARISON eONE-FORTY AND eONE-SIXTY

The eONE-FORTY and eONE-SIXTY share the same frame but differ a lot in terms of riding character. The difference between the two bikes is that the shock stroke on the eONE-FORTY is shorter. That reduces the rear travel to 133mm instead of 150mm which the eONE-SIXTY offers. On top of that, the shorter 140mm travel fork extends the reach of the eONE-FORTY in comparison to the eONE-SIXTY which is equipped with a 160mm fork. That's the reason why the eONE-FORTY has different sizing compared to eONE-SIXTY. A frame with a 44cm seat tube length, for example, is a size L in the eONE-FORTY, but at the eONE-SIXTY, it is a size M. We believe that a bike with less travel should be more agile and playful than one with more travel, and the reach has a significant influence on that.

Compared to the eONE-SIXTY, the seat angle at the eONE-FORTY is almost one degree steeper and the front is lower because of the shorter travel fork and the shorted head tube. This puts more weight on the front of the bike and gives the eONE-FORTY better climbing performance as the front wheel rises later than at the eONE-SIXTY. Also, due to the shorted fork, the head angle is almost one degree steeper making the bike feel less wobbly at lower speeds. Again, a positive attribute for uphills.

Another big difference compared to the eONE-SIXTY is that the stand over height is lower. The reason for that is the lesser travel, shorter head tube and lower bottom bracket height. Especially for beginners, the lower stand over height gives a lot of confidence. In particular for shorter riders, the eONE-FORTY is a perfect match because there are not many brands which can offer such low clearance.

The eONE-FORTY is also slightly lighter than the eONE-SIXTY. The reason is that the components are less downhill oriented. So, for example, fork, shocks and tyres are lighter, having a further positive effect on the climbing performance."

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I was wondering how Merida would make room for the e140 in their lineup, and I was thinking it makes more sense dropping the e120 and introduce a e130 instead, with a 140mm fork.

And that's sort of what they're doing. The old e120 is a 130/120mm (f/r), the new e140 is a 140/133mm. If I'm not mistaken, there will only be the e120-500 for 2020, so it's basically gone.

The way I understand it, the new e140 shares the frame with the e160, but the sizing is not the same. The e160 Medium frame has a 44cm seattube, and the e140 Large has a 44cm seattube. The reason for this is the Reach increases when the front is lowered. Dropping the a-c by 20mm increases reach by 10mm. And I guess they fit a 55mm stem, so the "effective" reach is about 20mm longer on the e140 Large, compared to the e160 Medium.

The e140 does indeed look interesting. Reducing Stack by about 7mm is probably a good thing for some (many?) riders, it's pretty high on the e160. It's difficult to say if the BB is dropped further due to the shorter rear travel, but it shouldn't have much effect on the overall result anyway. I liked the e120, but I was missing a bit more travel. The 133mm of rear travel should help a lot. And the HA at 66.5* is one degree slacker than the old e120, also a welcome change.

1562614910296.png

(Had to edit this a bit, the initial geo figures were less than precise.)

Last edited:

RAZOR

Feb 19, 2019
Auckland, NZ
have been pretty happy with my e120, it goes anywhere my old 140 would go but is quicker uphill! this looks to be even better for me as I don't need a 170mm beast.
pricing will be the killer but I hope they release an alu framed bike with the carbon one.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have a 2020 e140 LTD - LTD is the aluminium version. I am very soft on suspension, apparently. I try to use the full range just once or so on a ride, and adjust pressure accordingly. I'm at around 40% sag on the shock, and only 115psi. I was wondering if the suspension has tokens front and rear - I'd like to take them out, then try running at 30% sag. It would give me better ground clearance and suit my riding better. Does anyone know if there are any tokens in the suspension of these, and if it is much trouble to remove them?

A few hours later: found a video, looks easy. Found two tokens in shock; removed them both. Set sag at 30% / 150 psi. Can't wait to try it out :). Will do the same for the fork, which only has 45psi right now.

Last edited:

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
You must be extremely light running those pressures! how heavy are you?

45psi in the fork sounds super low. I have read a lot that the 35 gold is a bit of a nugget and can suffer from stiction from factory, does there seem to be an issue here, perhaps it can be related to this?

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Pop your fork serial number into here, it will tell you more details on the fork and let you know how many tokens are fitted from factory and give you a guide on air pressure

According to here the 35G should have zero tokens installed @ 140mm. 45psi sounds wayyyy too low especially if it has no tokens inside.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
You must be extremely light running those pressures! how heavy are you?

45psi in the fork sounds super low. I have read a lot that the 35 gold is a bit of a nugget and can suffer from stiction from factory, does there seem to be an issue here, perhaps it can be related to this?
No, I think I'm just slow :ROFLMAO:. Shock feels better. The fork actually feels ok but is also at about 40% sag. 80kg.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Pop your fork serial number into here, it will tell you more details on the fork and let you know how many tokens are fitted from factory and give you a guide on air pressure

According to here the 35G should have zero tokens installed @ 140mm. 45psi sounds wayyyy too low especially if it has no tokens inside.
Awesome find! I want to do a service on it soon so will see then. As I said, the fork actually feels OK. It would have been nice to get it at 30% sag though re pedal / motor height. I will do the serial number thing tomorrow.

fatfastroger

Jul 16, 2020
Oxfordshire
I just bought the same bike and used the guide to set up my bike.
I’m 6’ and 210 lb .
Forks were 115psi and -6 rebound clicks
Rear shock as a base line lbs=psi do 210psi
Will do a few rides and get suspension bedded in then set up sag etc

It’s my first eBike and for the trails round my area is perfect.

I have a large and seems comfortable but I might try a longer stem as I’m used to a slightly longer reach.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I just bought the same bike and used the guide to set up my bike.
I’m 6’ and 210 lb .
Forks were 115psi and -6 rebound clicks
Rear shock as a base line lbs=psi do 210psi
Will do a few rides and get suspension bedded in then set up sag etc

It’s my first eBike and for the trails round my area is perfect.

I have a large and seems comfortable but I might try a longer stem as I’m used to a slightly longer reach.
I can't remember what size I bought - it could be an XL! I'm 5'11". I had to order it in - they're not a big selling item here. I like the size. I remember the 140's were different sizing to the 160's (140 L is a bit smaller than 160 L). I mostly went by reach and what I have on my non e bikes. It's a rangy bike with lots of room, which I like. Probably really a bit too big, but worked out perfect. Because it is steep where I ride I have put the saddle nearly all the way forward and it feels perfect. I like the technical climbing stuff easily as much or more than the downhill stuff. I'm 15kg lighter than you - approx. 173 lb. I seem to have to work the bike more than my non e bikes, could be because of the bigger wheels (other bikes are 26" and smaller) and much extra weight. Great for me because I'm always trying to learn - it makes me move around a lot - I was probably mostly lazy before :ROFLMAO:. I think you'll love the bike.

fatfastroger

Jul 16, 2020
Oxfordshire
I had the usual L or XL dilemma, I test rode a 160 in large and it was fine but specs say 140 are slightly smaller due to geometry, but figured I could tune stem and saddle to suit.
Loving the bike already, think the travel on the 160 is overkill for my riding area.

Next mod is to loose a few kilos personally

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

Late reply - I did enter my serial number and it showed that I have 0 of 2 tokens installed, or something like that. I have since increased the pressure to 50 psi to more closely match the sag / usage of the rear. I finish most rides with 15mm unused on the fork and 10mm unused on the shock - rough estimate; so it looks pretty even (shock has less stroke length than fork). This includes sessioning jumps, drops off ramps (2-3m drops) and pump tracks in a skills area when I finish my ride - usually try to burn up that last 1 to 1.5km to make up 20km.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Question: I'm trying to find what tool I need to remove the lock ring that holds the chain ring spider in place - does any one know what it is? It looks like I need shimano TL-FC33. If so, does someone know of a cheaper alternative?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles