E010 problem Shimano

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
Got a Vitus E-sommet VR, have had a problem a few months back with a E010 problem showing and that was a loose battery. Now I'm getting the code that covers the screen completely when you put a foot on the peddles, hand turning in a stand no problem. Have taken to a shop to get diagnostics done and that did not show anything. Have got in contact with CRC to solve this but wondering if anybody has had a similar problem.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
When you hand turn in the stand I take it the motor engages as normal in all three modes ?

But when you use your feet you instantly get the error ?

Does walk mode work ? (so manual engagement of the motor without any input from the torque sensor).

It sounds a bit like a connection problem again as the frame flexes slightly with Pedal weight. However, presumably if you've taken it to a shop, they'd have checked the connections at both ends.

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
all modes engage
When you hand turn in the stand I take it the motor engages as normal in all three modes ?

But when you use your feet you instantly get the error ?

Does walk mode work ? (so manual engagement of the motor without any input from the torque sensor).

It sounds a bit like a connection problem again as the frame flexes slightly with Pedal weight. However, presumably if you've taken it to a shop, they'd have checked the connections at both ends.

All modes engage, and walk mode works, the shop i took it to has a thing against CRC so did not really want to touch it. I have looked at what I can and can not see any loose connections. CRC have got back to me and oransiging returning the bike for warranty sadly. Much prefer to not do this

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On the bright side, CRC have come back to you.

It's grasping at straws at this point , and sorry if you've done all this already, but it could be a firmware error or battery error. Is the firmware the latest ? update with e-tube over bluetooth. Also do a full reset of the battery management software - turn it off, but hold your finger on the power button for 20 seconds.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I noticed you dropped the motor off yours in another thread and mentioned the rats nest of cables. Perhaps you've nipped a cable?
Personally I'd consider buying some spare cables and rig external connections to rule out cable faults to help trouble shooting... its what id try anyway to rule out the simple stuff. The one from the Display to the motor is EW SD50 1200mm and ~£14.

For Info the Dealers Service Manual is here:
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/sm/SM-SHIMANO_STEPS_Service_Manual_for_EU-2019-01.pdf
Page 27 onwards.

However it sounds potentially like a Torque sensor error as its fails under load or as said above possibly your weight activates the rear suspension and nips/twists a cable.. e.g. your new dropper cable is moving against another cable?

Jonnymac

Feb 21, 2019
Inverclyde
I've had similar issue now on two e8000 equipped bikes. In both cases I got E010 error whilst stationary, switched battery off and on and without touching pedals etc got W013 error a few seconds after power up. Bike stopped working completely at this point and would not reset. Returned first bike to shimano via dealer and was given new motor under warranty. 2nd bike has now been sent back and I'm awaiting update. Hopefully another new motor and no more issues. Lost a bit of confidence is the long term reliability of E8000 motor though. Firmly of the belief that most problems are caused by water and dirt ingress to motor /battery connections due to poor ingress protection offered by motor terminals cover and damage to cables from frame movement, pinching etc as suggested by rocketmagnet above.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My Vitus E-Sommett is going through the warranty process with CRC for same issue right now - though as of right now its taken them 2 weeks to even respond to my warranty claim, I have spoken to them on the phone and they have said their is a delay in getting back to me as they are super busy at the moment.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
My Motobecane HAL eBoost Pro (similar to E-Sommet) had this error come up twice on a ride today. The battery does seem to have wiggle room. Turned off and turned on both times and carried on. Over 7000 miles on it. Haven't updated in a while cause I forgot the BlueTooth pin code to connect.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Got a Vitus E-sommet VR, have had a problem a few months back with a E010 problem showing and that was a loose battery. Now I'm getting the code that covers the screen completely when you put a foot on the peddles, hand turning in a stand no problem. Have taken to a shop to get diagnostics done and that did not show anything. Have got in contact with CRC to solve this but wondering if anybody has had a similar problem.
Im having the same problem. Its the tourque sensor. New motor time. Speed reads on the computer. Modes engage. Doesnt error out in the stand. Only when you put weight on the pedals in any of the assist modes it will error out=torque sensor.
Good luck.
You might find its worth it to blow out all the electrical wire connections and battery connections with an air compressor and apply dielectric grease and triple check that they are fully connected when installed at the computer and motor and also check the speed sensor mount on the swingarm. Thats all you can do but i believe yours like mine is the torque sensor

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also check the alignment of the speed sensor - look in the shimano motors forum and the service manual section, the manual there will show you what connections and tolerances to check

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles