E010 error

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I’m getting a persistent E010 error on steps 8000. Assistance cuts out and you have to turn in and off to clear it. It happened twice on this morning ride and once again this afternoon. On this afternoons error, I also go W013 when starting up, tried to start up about 10 time and the error kept occurring. I cycled with the motor off for about a mile, started it up and it’s working again, but I suspect it is going to happen again.
I have recently updated to latest firmware. Have done two rides since the update, getting the errors now on its second ride post update.

can I roll the firmware back?

Jamie1989

Sep 3, 2020
South Wales
I’m getting a persistent E010 error on steps 8000. Assistance cuts out and you have to turn in and off to clear it. It happened twice on this morning ride and once again this afternoon. On this afternoons error, I also go W013 when starting up, tried to start up about 10 time and the error kept occurring. I cycled with the motor off for about a mile, started it up and it’s working again, but I suspect it is going to happen again.
I have recently updated to latest firmware. Have done two rides since the update, getting the errors now on its second ride post update.

can I roll the firmware back?

Very odd as im having the exact same problem. Had the bike since May, no issues. 444 miles and upgraded the firmware, last two rides E010 and W013 problems!!!!

Proper annoyed I upgraded it now and want to see if I can go back.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I think you need to proper diagnostic tool to roll back the firmware. Equally annoyed I updated it.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Your motor is on the way to the motor graveyard...

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Yeah thanks, I had read that earlier. Looks like it’s toast.

Jamie1989

Sep 3, 2020
South Wales
Well iv removed the battery today, cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner and blew them with an air compressor.
Went for a ride and 4 miles in BANG E010 then W013.

Left it for 10 mins and code didnt appear but after riding for a further 5 mine E010 followed by the W013. The motor is toast. Im calling YT tomorrow :-(

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Yep, that’s what is happening to me. I’ll keep you posted on what happens with mine.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Very odd as im having the exact same problem. Had the bike since May, no issues. 444 miles and upgraded the firmware, last two rides E010 and W013 problems!!!!

Proper annoyed I upgraded it now and want to see if I can go back.
I'm having the exact same problem, after updating the firmware in August, 1600 hazel free miles on the old firmware. ed it and realised it I did mine on bluetooth and through that was the issue. My local dealer removed it and reloaded it and done a full diagnostics, all clear and it fixed the problem for short 10 mile 2 rides, third ride error codes came back and wouldn't clear, had to ride 13 miles home with no assist. I'm currently eliminating all other possible issues before sending it back to the shop. So far I've done a full strip and clean all electrical connections and tightened the battery mounts. I've ordered a new speed sensor, power and Di2 cable as the connections are old and loose. I will phone the shop tomorrow to see if they can reload the old firmware.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Well iv removed the battery today, cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner and blew them with an air compressor.

Left it for 10 mins and code didnt appear but after riding for a further 5 mine E010 followed by the W013. The motor is toast. Im calling YT tomorrow :-(
Same happened to me yesterday. I've only had trouble since the firmware update.

Jamie1989

Sep 3, 2020
South Wales
YT were closed today so il call them tomorrow. After reading soo many threads with E010 and W013 codes it sounds like a huge coincidence that I upgraded the software and now I have these issues.

I bet il have a new motor with no explanation with what the issue is as no one knows.

Madturk

Apr 3, 2020
England

I have exactly the same issue with my YT, it happened on the last two rides, first time quick reboot fixed the issue but this Saturday took me ages clear the W013 error, (first it was E010 switched it off and W013) last thing I did was clear the debris on around chainring maybe it was coincidence I don’t know, since than I cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner including the motor connections and tried to ride the bike as soon as you touch the pedal E010 error comes up, all the wiring visually spot on so not sure why it’s worse than before , anyway I thought I try the firmware upgrade now it won’t even start up straight in with the E010, email YT but don’t think I’m going to get response I may give them a call today, hopefully YT UK can sort this issue. What did you do in the end? New motor?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I got a new motor, turned it on and off several times with no issue. Went to ride the bike a few days later, not a pedal turned on the new motor and I got E010 error. I bought Stunlocker and change the region to US, it has been fine since.

Madturk

Apr 3, 2020
England
I got a new motor, turned it on and off several times with no issue. Went to ride the bike a few days later, not a pedal turned on the new motor and I got E010 error. I bought Stunlocker and change the region to US, it has been fine since.
It’s crazy, I wish they would find what is causing this, my bike under warranty but I’m worried when the warranty period is over what we are going to do? I best get some new tyres on my old hardtail I guess I will be using that for a while.
I’m super careful washing the bike take the battery out after every wash make sure everything dried properly, my bike only done around 500 miles it’s been problem free until now.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I don’t think it’s anything to do with washing/cleaning damp etc, it has to be a software issue.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
I’m still having the same issue with mine. Took it out at the weekend and it was fine for 10 miles. Stopped for chat, turned the bike of, restarted it rode for 500 yards and bang E010. Left it for 5 minutes and it was fine for another 500 yards. I need to get it back to Shimano but my bike shop has closed down temporarily, not sure when they’ll be back up and runnning?

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
E010 error code fixed.
After repeated failed attempts by my local bike shop where I brought my eBike to fix my E010 error code. I had assumed that it was back to Shimano for a warranty repair. Unfortunately the bike shop has now shut down due to an asbestos issue in the shop. I took a chance on another local independent eBike seller to see if I could use them to deal with the warranty claim. Thankfully they said they could help but they would have to charge for their time, but first they wanted to do a full diagnostic check in the bike. £25 well spent, after booking it up they found a few updates that needed doing that didn’t match up. In addition the new E8000 firmware update 4.9.0 had just been released. Test ride the bike today and done a full battery, used all modes, on and off road, shutdown and restarted a couple of times on route, all good no error codes and a nice update that allows eco to be used when the battery goes in to the red. Thanks to surgebikes.co.uk, great service very helpful and knowledgeable.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Glad you got it fixed. My advice to everyone is to not use Bluetooth to update the firmware using E-TUBE app. Get you local bike shop to do it. Apparently if there’s a WiFi in the area where your updating it, the WiFi can interrupt the Bluetooth connection causing the update to loose a few bites of download. Caused me no end of problems. Just glad it’s fixed now.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
E010 error code fixed.
After repeated failed attempts by my local bike shop where I brought my eBike to fix my E010 error code. I had assumed that it was back to Shimano for a warranty repair. Unfortunately the bike shop has now shut down due to an asbestos issue in the shop. I took a chance on another local independent eBike seller to see if I could use them to deal with the warranty claim. Thankfully they said they could help but they would have to charge for their time, but first they wanted to do a full diagnostic check in the bike. £25 well spent, after booking it up they found a few updates that needed doing that didn’t match up. In addition the new E8000 firmware update 4.9.0 had just been released. Test ride the bike today and done a full battery, used all modes, on and off road, shutdown and restarted a couple of times on route, all good no error codes and a nice update that allows eco to be used when the battery goes in to the red. Thanks to surgebikes.co.uk, great service very helpful and knowledgeable.

so what exactly Did they do to fix it?

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Update all the firmware, there are 4 different firmwares including the battery, head unit, gear shifters and motor. Some of them were out of date. Updated the motor firmware to 4.9.0. I had downloaded the 4.8.0 firmware using the E-TUBE app. That’s when my problems started. They updated it with a direct connection to the laptop. Apparently Shimano have released an upgraded E-TUBE platform for the laptop that allows a bit more tweaking.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Whatever they’ve done it’s fixed my problem. I was on tender hooks for the whole 26mile test ride waiting for an error code to ping u, but the motor never missed a beat and felt strong.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles