E Wild rubber

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
TBF I gave up looking, and bought an Eddy Current, after my rim tape failed. As it seemed a decent excuse to dump the butcher... but thanks all the same.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
That explains that, I could find Wild’s but not a rear 29er in 2.6 flavour

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Cant reccomedn these tyres highly enough - just been out in a mix of ice, water, and calf deep mud/clay mix and they just keep ploughing through everything whilst gripping away.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I went straight for E-Wild on my Giant Trance E+2 from new, the brand new unused OEM tyres are shoved in the loft.

They are a superb tyre, I climbed a steep section of bridle path last weekend that had been churned up by horses after heavy rain, the bike just sailed up.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Cant reccomedn these tyres highly enough - just been out in a mix of ice, water, and calf deep mud/clay mix and they just keep ploughing through everything whilst gripping away.
Hey R120, how would you compare the E wilds to the hillbillies that you were on earlier this year and really liking quite a bit as recommended by the faster riders in your group?
Because of your recommendation I am putting hillbillies on my Levo but hoping that they will not lose grip when they are only half worn out as my DHF 2.5 front and DHR II 2.6 did. Would be interested in switching to the E wilds, later this year when available in 29 x 2.6, after Hillbilly's wear out if they are superior in the wet front and rear. Not sure how a much lighter weight hillbilly can be superior to the much heavier E Wild/
You are the only one in the tire evaluation threads that I can find that has ridden both.
Nightly tropical rains leave our trails almost universally wet with greasy off camber roots and rocks over a slim covering of greasy mud in some parts of the trail but mostly lava rock. So interested in your comparison. Thanks, Jeff.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi Jeff

Firstly I am pretty sure the Hillybillys I have are the older compound, they recently changed the spec so any comparison may not be so valid anymore.

For various reasons I haven't put as much time in the worst weather on the Michelins as I have on the Hillybillys, but all I can really say is I loved the Hillybillys for the conditions I was riding in last winter, which round me is pretty much ankle deep mud or washed out clay, I found they gripped really well whilst being predictable (which is what I want most out of a winter tyre), were not that draggy, and I didnt once have a puncture. I am not riding any sort of terrain that has exposed rocks with slippery faces, so cant comment on that, but they worked well on roots. If I was to try and sum up my experience with them is that they are a tire that just keeps going in the worst the weather can throw at you, dont get clogged up, and allow you to get on with riding.

The Michelins have been great so far, I have ridden them a fair bit in the wet and no complaints, and again I would say a tyre you can trust, they plough through the mud too, but IMO the best thing about them is the side knobs, which for me have taken my confidence in what a tyre can do in a corner to a new level.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Hey thanks R120, I think I will just try the new compound Hillbilly and see how it does. Supposedly they have an improved rubber compound. Probably won't be any comparisons until next year when people of had a chance to try these new tires and compare them. Appreciate the response. FaceTime going to try the 29er E Wild.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hey thanks R120, I think I will just try the new compound Hillbilly and see how it does. Supposedly they have an improved rubber compound. Probably won't be any comparisons until next year when people of had a chance to try these new tires and compare them. Appreciate the response. FaceTime going to try the 29er E Wild.
I have the recent Hillbilly grids in 29/2.6 with cushcore on the front. Absolutely love them!
In the wet, mud and roots they’re awesome! I’ve found them to be good even in the dry, on any terrain really. Keep in mind I am no tire expert but I have tried Butchers, Eliminators both in Grid and Blck Dmnd and also the Assagais. Still the Hillbillies are my favourite!
Keen to try these E-wilds though.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I went straight for E-Wild on my Giant Trance E+2 from new, the brand new unused OEM tyres are shoved in the loft.

They are a superb tyre, I climbed a steep section of bridle path last weekend that had been churned up by horses after heavy rain, the bike just sailed up.
Would you say they could be used as an all-season all-rounder tyre? Have you used them in the dry? Thanks.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Would you say they could be used as an all-season all-rounder tyre? Have you used them in the dry? Thanks.
Yes they definitely are, most of my use on the E-Wilds has been in dry conditions over the summer - I would actually say that they are a tyre that works very well in the wet rather than one that is designed to be ridden in the wet

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Nb the Butcher has now been revised...called the Butcher Trail to differentiate it from the original......the original version is now being sold at half price.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Dont make them as yet..only the wild enduro in 29er
Bite your tongue. ? as they do make them. But i don’t know what availability is on them. i have several sets

E3E73EA1-B45D-494D-9F8C-359602E300C2.jpeg

2BF99E0E-0320-4B78-BAA0-6B7B79720898.jpeg

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Good man.. Were did you get them from?
Michelin sent me several sets for testing and to write reviews on. Have only had them a couple weeks and yesterday was my first day out with 29ers. been running 27.5 2.6 rear all summer and it’s pretty hammered but still working really well if not better then it did new

image.jpg

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Can't find anyone selling them in UK as yet.. You fancy off loading one this way? Front
Sorry mate, But i can’t sell tires supplied to me for testing and reviews. when i agreed to do testing it was on basis i wouldn’t write a review based off of one tire.
Reason is maxxis gave me one tire for my moto and i wrote a review on tire then i purchased 2 tires same model and they ripped the knobs off in first day, but the test tire had no issues.
So now i won’t write a review Or test on a tire unless i have more then one set without consecutive batch numbers.
So i have to put all three sets through the ringer.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@Tim29 has access to the tires for testing before they hit the open market - my LBS says they are expecting the 29'r version in spring

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
My Commencal SX Meta Power came with a set of Maxxis Assagis (or how ever you spell them).
I've always liked Maxxis DHF's in the old days, and like these Assagis OK enough, bit the rear is a 3C compound, and it is just plain worn the phuck out after only a couple hundred miles of riding.

I just ordered a pair of E Wilds based on reading this thread here.

Hope you guys don't let me down :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles