E Tube app doesn't work on iOS 13

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
FYI, it seems that the E Tube app won't work with iOS 13. It basically just hangs when trying to start up with a spinning gear. I suspect it is related to Bluetooth security that was added in iOS 13. Apparently the app doesn't prompt for Bluetooth access. Just a guess, but it seems likely.

In any case, be careful upgrading to iOS 13 when it releases in a week - you might not be able to use E Tube after you do!

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Never upgrade ios or OS when it first drops wait at least until first release to save yourself some grief.

I have to disagree with this... only in this example, because the E-Tube app not working with iOS13 is all on Shimano, not Apple. It's not like Apple out of nowhere sprung iOS13 on everyone, it was in both dev and public beta for awhile.

If anything, the fact that the E-Tube app suddenly stopped working with iOS13 means it's pretty obvious that Shimano did ZERO app compatibility testing with iOS13... when they had ample time and resources to do so.

dlevel

Oct 2, 2019
Greece
A bit off-topic but I just got a bike with shimano steps sc-E6100, and I can't connect via Bluetooth, does it support it or it needs extra equipment, like a Bluetooth adapter? Best regards.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I do find it telling when Shimano would rather put resources into pushing the author of this truly excellent app around rather than sorting out their own E-Tube app So it works properly with an iOS update that they knew was coming and had an extended period of public beta testing.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have to disagree with this... only in this example, because the E-Tube app not working with iOS13 is all on Shimano, not Apple. It's not like Apple out of nowhere sprung iOS13 on everyone, it was in both dev and public beta for awhile.

If anything, the fact that the E-Tube app suddenly stopped working with iOS13 means it's pretty obvious that Shimano did ZERO app compatibility testing with iOS13... when they had ample time and resources to do so.

Truth. There was plenty of time to add code to check the OS version and if needed, to ask for Bluetooth permissions. It's even more insane that they haven't yet released a patch. That's gotta be just about the easiest thing to code & test...

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
Yeah, I deleted it there once I realized.

I upgraded the app to 3.4.4 on my iPad, and tested it. It worked, but the IOS is still 12 something. I'm downloading 13 on it right now, I'll report back my testing results.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
CONFIRMED issue is fixed with Shimano version 3.4.4. I just went home for lunch and tested on both iPhone X w/iOS 13.1.3 and iPad w/iPadOS 13.1.3, and zero issues connecting to my eMTB.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles