E-sommet seatpost solutions?

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
I'm 173cm tall so I should ride M but riding smaller bike is just more fun imho, so I got S-size. (Seeing Garys posts here after I got my bike made me smile :)

2019 S-size Sommet comes with 100mm seatpost. So I bought new 150mm Brand-X for my bike. I keep it as low as possible. It's almost perfect, but still maybe 1cm too high.
Bike is ok for now but offcourse I want to make it perfect.

Is it possible get the seatpost to go lower inside seattube?
Or has anybody changed the saddle for something with lower stack? Manufacturers don't usually tell saddle height, so it's difficult to find one that's low.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A 150mm OneUp dropper is probably worth a look, the saddle clamping system sits the saddle lower than on other droppers, so would probably deal with the 1cm. You can also customise the exact height of drop on a One, so could set it to 148cm for example.

@Gary tried a 170mm Oneup in his Small, and can tell you more

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
Thanks for your suggestion. That looks like good solution. I'll probably get one if I can't find cheaper way to fix the problem.

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
I thinks cranks are 165. So pretty short allready.
Also it would be great to get the saddle lower when it's in lowest position...
If I just could find low saddle it would be easiest and cheapest way to do it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. not really. the seatpost bottoms out where the seat tube is reamed down to. any deeper and the dropper actuator/cable would be in danger of fouling the shock.
Or has anybody changed the saddle for something with lower stack? Manufacturers don't usually tell saddle height, so it's difficult to find one that's low.
Yes. that's an option.
I run a selle italia SLR 135 on mine and it's lower stack than the nukeproof saddle that cam e with the bike.

I have a 2 week old (then removed and replaced with a 150mm) 120mm brand-X dropper I'd swap for your 150mm. PM me if interested.

also. OneUp posts being basically the same internals as B-X a OneUP shim might work.

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
No. not really. the seatpost bottoms out where the seat tube is reamed down to. any deeper and the dropper actuator/cable would be in danger of fouling the shock.

Yes. that's an option.
I run a selle italia SLR 135 on mine and it's lower stack than the nukeproof saddle that cam e with the bike.

I have a 2 week old (then removed and replaced with a 150mm) 120mm brand-X dropper I'd swap for your 150mm. PM me if interested.

also. OneUp posts being basically the same internals as B-X a OneUP shim might work.

I checked seatpost dimensions.
Brand X total lenght is 480mm and Oneup is 410!
That would be optimal solution for me...
But 70mm difference, can that be right?

One Up 150 without remote is about 200€, so not too bad. I probably could use brandX remote i have.

Thanks Gary for the offer, I still consider the options.
I'm not in a hurry, snow is soon gonna be too soft to ride and it takes couple weeks before trails are dry...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
what do you mean by "checked"

OneUp's quoted post lengths aren't accurate as they do not include the actuator in their measurements.

the OneUP I had was actually LONGER than the Brand-X when the actuators are included. Plus because of the way the OneUp actuator works (the outer cable moves instead being fixed like every other actuator) it requires more room below.

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
By "checked" I offcourse mean I googled the dimensions! :p

What do you mean by "actuator"? The green part in the bottom? That can't take 70mm of space!
And what you mean by "outer cable"? The casing?
Sorry I'm not native english speaker and sometimes technical terminology is difficult to understand...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah.. .sorry

Yes the actuator is the green portion below the post
And yes outer cable = cable casing

what length posts are you comparing?

I'm 5'11" (1.82m) with a 33"(84cm) inseam and there is no 170mm dropper post I know of that will fit me on a small E-sommet with 170mm cranks.
150mm B-X is raised a little over an inch from full insertion.
But I'm riding a 2018 not 2019.
I believe the 2019 was to be reamed deeper. (haven't seen one to say)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This part, it sticks out a fair bit off the bottom of the post and isn't included in their dimensions - however in the second picture you can see how the stack height of the clamp is lower than most posts, and how the saddle clamp sits lower too.

OnupComponentsDropperPost.jpg

326201812748.jpg

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
Ah.. .sorry

Yes the actuator is the green portion below the post
And yes outer cable = cable casing

what length posts are you comparing?

I'm 5'11" (1.82m) with a 33"(84cm) inseam and there is no 170mm dropper post I know of that will fit me on a small E-sommet with 170mm cranks.

Thanks for clarification.
I still don't understand what you mean by:
"the outer cable moves instead being fixed like every other actuator".
On my bike outer cable is stucked and is very difficult to move.

I was comparing 150 BrandX (480mm) and OneUp (410mm) seatpost dimensions they give online.
OneUp looks good on paper but if you have compared it to BrandX in real life and it was not any better I offcourse trust you on that...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The actuator base on the one up moves up and down, which means the outer cable also move a bit when you use it.

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
The actuator base on the one up moves up and down, which means the outer cable also move a bit when you use it.
Ok, I think I understand now how it works. Cable end is fixed in seatpost and housing moves when you push the lever. This might be problem with E-Sommet as there's not much room for cable housing to move. Specially if it's ziptied to the frame.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It works fine in the E-Sommett - its just the insertion measurements One Up give dont take this into account

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"the outer cable moves instead being fixed like every other actuator".
on pretty much every mechaincal cable actuated dropper post the outer cable sits in a cable stop and the inner cable pulls an actuation lever.
on the OneUp post the inner cable is fixed and the outer cable sits in a moving actuation "button" (sort of more like a mechanical piston design than a lever) that opens the mechanism. Becase of this the outer cable needs space to move freely.
Google it if you don't get what i'm explaining. There's bound to be a video/pic somewhere explaining it better.

Oops. Didn't see it had already been expalined.

I've no idea if this would foul the shock on a 2019 small E-sommet.
if my 2108 was reamed any deeper it would.

Feb 5, 2019
Wales

So you run a 150mm one up?

BadVibes

Feb 17, 2019
Finland
I was riding today and testing how high I actually want the saddle to be when seatpost is on max length. Surprisingly it felt that it can be much lower than on my clockwork mtb. Because of motor assist seat doesn't need to be optimal height for pedaling. Pedaling is still very easy, even uphill. Might be different for long ascents, but we don't have those here.

When riding local trails I'm constantly pedaling to keep speed, so I'm mostly seated but still sitting quite low to be able move around the bike easily. Saddle is about halfway of seatposts travel.
What do you think? Do you keep the saddle lower on your EMTB vs. MTB?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you are pedalling up technical terrain when seated, you tend to do it with the saddle lower than normal.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What do you think? Do you keep the saddle lower on your EMTB vs. MTB?
No. All my saddles are fitted at proper leg extension for pedalling when the dropper is at full extension.
but seeing as they all have droppers it's instantly adjustable.
ride it how you like though. it's your bike. do bear in mind even if you prefer pedalling sat down with your saddle a lot lower than optimum it's still less efficient. (so you'll probably use more battery)

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
Do any of you chaps know how deep the 2019 E sommet seatposts are reamed ? Im on a medium size bike and finding the 120mm dropper post too short. Having it setup for optimum sat down pedaling isn't giving me enough drop when I want to tackle the descents. I'm sure the 150mm would improve this but if the 170 would fit it'd be even better.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
just measure it.
either using your seatpost or a tape measure down into it.
so long as your dropper outer cable can move freely internally it's easy to remove. turn the bars towards the side the dropper cable enters the frame to allow more cable to be pulled through. you shouldn't even need to unhook the cable.

If 120mm isn't enough drop it's probably more to do with your descending technique than the post. Pedals level 120mm drop is plenty. There's nothing I struggled to ride down on the 120mm drop post. 150mm is slightly nicer but really not required for descending. Where a longer drop shines is for manuals and certain tricks in the air but certainly not needed for descending.
I'd like a 170mm dropper but only really as it would give me 20mm more groin room manualling. But that's because I manual brakeless. brake dragging manuals don't need so much room.

I have a 150mm Brand-X in mine. not one-up as mis stated above.

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
just measure it.
either using your seatpost or a tape measure down into it.
so long as your dropper outer cable can move freely internally it's easy to remove. turn the bars towards the side the dropper cable enters the frame to allow more cable to be pulled through. you shouldn't even need to unhook the cable.

If 120mm isn't enough drop it's probably more to do with your descending technique than the post. Pedals level 120mm drop is plenty. There's nothing I struggled to ride down on the 120mm drop post. 150mm is slightly nicer but really not required for descending. Where a longer drop shines is for manuals and certain tricks in the air but certainly not needed for descending.
I'd like a 170mm dropper but only really as it would give me 20mm more groin room manualling. But that's because I manual brakeless. brake dragging manuals don't need so much room.

I have a 150mm Brand-X in mine. not one-up as mis stated above.
Cheers Gary.

Yeah I will measure it up tonight. Got home from a ride last night and havent had time since then and now to do so. Just decided to post on here incase anyone knew off hand.

Also you are defo right about my technique. It’s pish and I know it. Had a slipped disc injury a while back and so I’m not the most flexible on the bike so getting saddle out the way even more would defo be a benefit to me. Figure the extra 3cm might help in that respect.

I’ll look into it.
Ta.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
It's possible to reduce the travel on the Brand-x dropper - I've done it on mine.
1. Partially depress the post - maybe an inch or 2 tops
2. Unscrew the collar on the outer shaft - should unscrew by hand easy enough - if tight get a piece of inner tube in your hand and use that to grip it.
3. Extend the post to full extension which should pop the white plastic bushing out.
4. Cut short lengths of narrow zipties (equal lengths and with the point and grip ends cut off). The length of the zip tie pieces should equal the amount you want to reduce the travel of the post by.
5.Inside the outer shaft are 4 keyways - insert the lengths of zip tie in to these - it can be a bit tricky to line them up so be patient. Once in replace the white bush - give it a squirt of spray grease and screw the collar back down.

Works on the same principle as this: DROPPER POST SHIM without paying $10 + postage.

Brand-x post and One-up post internals are near enough identical

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
I'm 173cm tall so I should ride M but riding smaller bike is just more fun imho, so I got S-size. (Seeing Garys posts here after I got my bike made me smile :)

2019 S-size Sommet comes with 100mm seatpost. So I bought new 150mm Brand-X for my bike. I keep it as low as possible. It's almost perfect, but still maybe 1cm too high.
Bike is ok for now but offcourse I want to make it perfect.

Do what I did, you can buy the one up dropper post seat bracket which will lower your seat 15mm, it fits no problem on the Brand X .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles