E-Sommet rear muck guard

Tc3nitro

Dec 7, 2019
Wetherby
Morning people

Just thought I would share one of the first mods I have done to my E-Sommet.
After the first couple of rides it was obvious that the top of the motor where all the cables and bottom linkages are located is a real trap for mud, water and grime.

So I purchased some cheap plastic dirt guards Link to Amazon for about £8 that arrived the same day on amazon.

I used the smaller one of the two in package and trimmed and fettled it until it did not foul the chain but still protected the area.

145B9777-515F-45E5-96DB-C9587D951387.jpeg
449244FF-4249-4AF6-8E4F-55BE84FF257F.jpeg
4E23943E-860E-426C-8D69-CC12BB5C63EC.jpeg

This has really helped with keeping dirt and spray out of the area and should give me more trouble free miles.

Anyway I hope this maybe helps someone else out with less issues and more trouble free fun miles !

Safe riding.
Mark

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's pretty pointless

buy an RRP Pro front long and fit it to the seat stays

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Google Translate from "Abrupt Gary" to "Polite English" :

"Nice job @Tc3nitro, and welcome to the forum. The sommet suffers badly from crap in that area, so anything will help keep things cleaner and dryer. For the future, you might want to consider the RRP Pro Front long. It fits really well and significantly reduces crap coming in around the linkage and motor areas compared to other solutions. If you look around the site you'll also see some other recommendations I've made to help protect the motor from the elements. I ride like a well hung circus silverback, so I've wrecked three motors and bring a wealth of experience to this subject" ... :p

Last edited:

Neiljk

Nov 28, 2019
Uk
I have a long RRP on mine and now a mudhugger as I was finding the RRP wasn’t quite enough to protect me of the bike. Hoping this combo will do the trick.

Mine does double duty as a commuter and use as a full mtb. Have to say I’m not so keen on it swathed in mudguards but for the winter it’s function over aesthetics and if the summer is dry the mudhuggers can come off until the crap returns

6297EFCE-9D2D-44B7-8BEB-B33EC4DB87A8.jpeg

26716CFE-841F-40D9-A8A9-6EB97E747638.jpeg

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I've pretty much done the same thing only using a topeak defender over the RRP on the rear. All mudgaurds are fugly but I personally hate the design of that mudhugger rear it absolutely murders a half decent looking bike. The quick release seat clamp on the topeak means I can get rid of it sharpish when not needed too.

edit: Pics show a small RRP on the rear but ive since fitted a large front RRP in its place.

Mudg2.jpg
mudg1.jpg

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I've pretty much done the same thing only using a topeak defender over the RRP on the rear. All mudgaurds are fugly but I personally hate the design of that mudhugger rear it absolutely murders a half decent looking bike. The quick release seat clamp on the topeak means I can get rid of it sharpish when not needed too.

edit: Pics show a small RRP on the rear but ive since fitted a large front RRP in its place.

View attachment 26924 View attachment 26925

@Polaris -

Do you keep yours on the bike when traveling on the highway, or do you uninstall it?

I came back from biking only to park my car and find my Topeak Defender XC11 29" had completely broken off the bike.
It looks like it’s broken off at the struts.

The fender seemed fine on the ride, though I did have significant tire-rubbing pre-ride on full-sag and re-adjusted the fender height/angle afterwards. No crash at all. No brushes with trees, etc. The height of installation/angle seemed reasonable on the ride.

I use a Kuat NV 2.0 rack which does not interfere whatsoever with the fender. I did not come into contact with any tree limbs or overhands with the vehicle/bike.

I did notice a significant amount of whistling at highway speed (60-80 mph) that I assume was the fender. I also noticed that the fender itself was flopping around quite a bit in the air slip-stream (the end is very soft/flexible).

However, when I got home, the fender was completely broken off….and missing. (See photo). It’s just bizarre. Do you think the rubbing had compromised the strength of the struts, then the wind just worked it back and forth and it failed? It just seems unlikely but I know for sure nothing would have struck it without also hitting my car.

It's cold out, about 32F. I'm sure that makes the plastic even more brittle.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles