E Sommet or not

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Hey all first post, LONG time lurker, avid reader and still nervous about committing.

I have been looking at the E Sommet VRS for a long time and even more so when there is a discount on it. Geometry/ability/reliability are my main priorities I dont care so much for looks, just what the bike can do as tool for fun and price/value. I really dont mind stripping bikes back and fettling as I dare say enjoy looking after them to keep them running sweet. I enjoy epic natural rides (Snowdon, Peak district (primarily), lakes), rocky and fast.

The Sommet ticks a lot of boxes, I like the idea of having 2 batteries for easy swap out on the longer days (or a spare in the car for laps). I guess I would generally ride the ebike on drier days and use my normal bike in the crappier weather, but in the UK thats easier said than done. I generally like a good work out and would stick to eco as much as possible but I just want an extra boost of watts so Im not killing myself each time I ride out like I am doing at the mo (getting close to 50).

My reservations on the Sommet are the older motor (but is not that bad, I enjoyed a demo scott I tried), obviously the frame has its waterproofing issues but from what I see with a little tlc people have minimised the risks at the seat tube, motor housing and rear mudguard options.

Obviously CRC can be hit and miss and a cause for complaint but if the motor can be dealt with via a LBS and Maddison I dont mind this as an option.

Ultimately is the Esommet still a viable/upto date option or are there better alternatives. I dont mind waiting (have done for years already probably latest up to the Black Friday this year). I dont see much chat around the Vitus these days so has me second guessing myself a little.

Cheers for any feedback.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Geometry wise its actually still way ahead of anything else in the 160/170mm category.
And the motor is still my favourite out of all the mid motors (incl the 2019 Levo and new bosch) for how it delivers assistance.
Once properly shielded from water ingress (search for my solution to this) Reliability is actually great. No issues with the frame or components at all bar the main motor bearings short life (this affects me waaay more than anyone else tho).

Oh.. And Eebs are even better in the wet. Removing all drudgery from bleak slow sloggy winter rides.

Dont resign yourself to Eco either.. The other 2 modes are hella fun. And trail is intuitive so go steady with it and it delivers little assistance and is economical.. Put more in and you're a rocket powered weekend warrior at the trail centre. ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Vitus also got suspension kinematics pretty much spot on from the start. Unlike loads of over hyped alternatives.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Vitus also got suspension kinematics pretty much spot on from the start. Unlike loads of over hyped alternatives.
Cheers Gary. Your feedback is really appreciated as I know you are very familiar with the bike. What were the bearing changes like? Were the stock ones pants or lasted reasonable well?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Main motor bearings can't be changed by user/dealer/shimano service centre without voiding warranty. Its new motor (through warranty) time when they go.
Frame bearings, headset etc have as good life as any modern Enduro frame

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're not me though.

Small for jibs, pumps, mannys and hops...
Large for plows

They're not short bikes. Even in small
and being an Eeb... even the small is stableAF™

Hope that helps.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Buy one. Be smug.

I ended up with a small after reading Gary's posts (And it was the only size in stock).

I haven't regretted it, even though I'm 5'10. It's lively involving, and rewarding.

I have a 2017 cube hpa hardtail for a commuter in 19" (medium large?) and the wheelbase looks almost identical between the two. And although the Bosch CX feels more powerful than the Shimano, the Shimano feels far more natural.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles