E Sommet mud pocket

CH61S

Apr 27, 2020
Rhondda south Wales
Ok so I'm yet to take delivery on my bike but I've done a lot of reading up on these and the same thing keeps popping up and that's the section above the motor is a bit of a problem area for collecting crud.

Can you give me some ideas and suggestions to help keep it as clean and tidy as possible.

I'm thinking something as simple as a black sponge or some foam cut to size?

Anyone got a better suggestion?

Cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
sponge/foam is a pretty bad idea. Being absorbant.
motofoam is what you need. Google it (it's also called sump foam)
Search on here for details of where to put it and how to cover the entrance.

CH61S

Apr 27, 2020
Rhondda south Wales
That Moto foam is just fish tank filter. Some sellers on eBay have the same stuff for sale under the difference titles. I'll get some ordered this week

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
IMG_20200501_112746.jpg

IMG_20200501_113217.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I see what you have done there, but I think crap would still get down that, and though the back - it tends to get stuck where the cables go above the motor.

I dont actually think its a massive issue, as long as you are aware that stuff gets in there and clean it out. The main place collect is between the frame and the motor, where the cables go in, putting some motofoam in that area stops this, but its easy enough to clear out, unless you never do it over a winter and it gets jammed up.

This is behind my motor cover, opened it up the other day for the first time since Autumn as was pleasantly surprised at how little had got in there. My other bike I have moto foamed in this area, but not got round to doing it on the e-sommet. Lots of people have also taped over the edge of the cover with gaffer tape etc to seal it up

Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 11.24.38.png

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I see what you have done there, but I think crap would still get down that, and though the back - it tends to get stuck where the cables go above the motor.

I dont actually think its a massive issue, as long as you are aware that stuff gets in there and clean it out. The main place collect is between the frame and the motor, where the cables go in, putting some motofoam in that area stops this, but its easy enough to clear out, unless you never do it over a winter and it gets jammed up.

This is behind my motor cover, opened it up the other day for the first time since Autumn as was pleasantly surprised at how little had got in there. My other bike I have moto foamed in this area, but not got round to doing it on the e-sommet. Lots of people have also taped over the edge of the cover with gaffer tape etc to seal it up

View attachment 30114

Yes i actually agree that it is probably not i Huge problem of you not cover it upp , i have a mate that has the 2019 e-sommet and he has not put motofoam on His bike and His bike have Beeen really Dirty and nothing have happend.

The biggest reason i cover it Up is beacuse am afraid when i wash the bike that to much water Will come in and maybe the cover helps a Little bit.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. As R120 says, I wouldn't do it like that either.
It looks like you've made a nice wee collecting cup for crap to sit in
The important parts to tape/silicone/motofoam are the connector bay (silicone or tape along the top) and filling the red circled opening in R120s pic)
I have motofoam under the wiring nest too. as it stops anything getting through and between the frame and top of the motor.
I also made a small plastic flap from plasitc food packaging - Spar/CoOp* chicken Pakora tray works well. (They do a mixed pakora version too).
DSC_2386.JPG

*other shops also sell packaged food in black trays
plastic cut to shape so as to cover the cable nest but not foul the shock. Edges bent upwards to form a scoop. and as you can just about see just the front portion is gaffer taped in place. This means any crap that does get in now has a clean route out the back over the main pivot/chainstay yoke and shit no longer accumulates in the cable nest. the beauty of it being a flap is it can simply be flipped up to have a look in there at any time.
'Scuse my shitey phone pic

DSC_2385.JPG

Kinda dusty here just now, eh?

contrary to the belief it's not really an issue, if you leave the Esommet as is, use it for properly manky rides and use a hose to blast the shit out of your cable nest water and mud will definitely end up in the connection bay. Many folk have had E13 errors and shut downs while riding because of this.

img_20200325_100836-jpg.27824

Last edited:

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Thats brill Gary thanks for the pics very timely. My bike has just arrived, im fighting with the dropper cable so going to hinge the motor back to sort that and will motofoam, tape and ribeye steak tray mine up.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
with the dropper cable IIRC out the box it is attached via two zip ties to the shock window/seattube. Firstly they are usually done too tight, I would replace them and tighten them but not so the cable outer is totally clamped and has no movement - also IMO the cable/cable outer as fitted from factory is too long, meaning it coils up and cause issues with a smooth action of the dropper, I would cut it down so that it come just above the seat collar so you can still remove post.

Last edited:

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Holy smokes, the dropper cable is sorted. Trying to get those cables back whilst relocating the motor is a nightmare, even upside down.

CH61S

Apr 27, 2020
Rhondda south Wales
Just a update on this post. I've had a few goes at making something suitable to cover this section using different materials and I think I've got it as good as it can get.

5mm foam cut so size and also cut around the shock mount. This seems to keep any crap from getting in from the rear wheel and doesn't foul the shock. Silicone at the front so that it can be lifted like a flap if needed.

I was thinking about silicone all the way around the edges but I don't think its needed as it's a pretty tight fit.

Hope this helps ?

IMG_20200519_212356.jpg

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
@Gary and @R120 what do yous think? Is the pic below overkill?
I’ve cut motofoam and filled mud pocket and then taped up from the bottom. The shock moves freely and water can still get out. ??‍♂️
I’ve also motofoamed above the motor.

6391835D-AE33-450A-AD7A-A06E2E4AD44E.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
TBH I just have motofoam between the frame an motor, and nothing on top/above - I would say ride it around for a while and then take it off to see if anything is getting stuck in there.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't need to fill the entire shock area. Just stop mud, debris and water getting into the wiring nest. Or in to the motor connector bay. there's a gap to the top of the connector bay (and ester/mud can enter under the wiring nest ).
I have motofoamed the wiring nest and that gap behind the connector bay
And have a homemade plastic spray/mud guard that stops anything firing into the nest.

DSC_2561.JPG

chrisr

Jun 8, 2018
Wales
Does anyone have any pictures of where they have motofoamed please, I haven't got a clue where to put it? Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles