E-sommet 2018 new wheels needed, help please

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Hi all, I'm after a second set of wheels so I can swap between road and off road quicker.

This bike...
Vitus

I'm looking at these wheels (or any others recommended if there similar priced)...
Sun Ringle Duroc 40 Wheelset BOOST | Chain Reaction Cycles

From what I can work out they will fit, can someone with a bit more expertise confirm ?

After that I need tyres, tubes, cassette and rotors, is that all ?

If I match the cassette and rotors to the ones already on will it be a case of simply swapping them over with no alignment issues ?

Any help appreciated.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Superstarcomponents are doing a set of 23mm rims on their boost hubs for a hunderd quid with the code 100NOTES.
They'd be perfect for a set of on road wheels.
Was tempted myself for similar reasons but the price of SRAM discs, an 11 speed cassette and the fact I'd have to be super careful with chain wear means I just commute on Minions (but at 50psi). it's still faster than my roadbike and I can piss about off road whenever I like no worries.

everything should align fine.

BTW.. .I'd happily run 2.5 minions on a 23mm rim.
plenty DH world cups were won on 21mm rims and many WC riders still run 25mm rims these days.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Gary you the man that's a big saving, I think I'm gonna go with them, they actually have a set of 25mm rims too, they are in silver though...that's probably the only colour Id not want :LOL:.

How are you doing for tyre wear ? My minions seem to be wearing at a extreme rate every road ride, I only do around 80-100 miles a month on road but Ill be replacing them every few months at this rate.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I got some spank oozy 345's on mine with scwalbe moto x tyres, and the thing flies on the road now too! There's nothing better than smoking a ribble carbon rider in a sky yellow jersey on my morning commute :cool:

CADCE4C4-5C10-417E-9B90-DC2779C54571.jpeg

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Love that Polaris, I actually have the same tyres but rarely swap them over cos of the hassle, there awesome real nice and smooth, get a lot more battery too.

I've ordered everything I need so will update when there here.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How are you doing for tyre wear ? My minions seem to be wearing at a extreme rate every road ride, I only do around 80-100 miles a month on road but Ill be replacing them every few months at this rate.
Absolutely fine
I'm doing between 80-100 road miles a week on them
They're dual compound though. Not anything overly soft

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I had 3 motors warranty replaced. none of which managed much more than 700miles...

I have a new 2019 Esommet now. it's about 5 weeks old and it's done about 450miles so far.
Not all that many DH/Enduro miles yet though as i've simply not had as much free time. (plus i've been riding my nice light unassisted enduro and 4X bikes quite a bit off road recently)

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
So its safe to say ill be replacing my bike before the warranty runs out, hopefully you have better luck with the newer model motor in the 2019.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
New wheels and parts came and fitted, I wasn't keen on the silver but thought for a extra 2mm width I can live with it, all gears work perfectly and brakes are very slightly rubbing, enough to make a noise when I roll them when the bikes upside down but nothing I can hear while riding and has no effect on speed, I did forget to buy a new wheel magnet though.

Thanks again for the code Gary, saved me a decent chunk of change there. (y)

20190523_154823.jpg

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
no worries mate.
it's an amazing deal.
are the decals peelable? (ie. not laquered over?)
also. what rotors did you fit?
I noticed when I changed my rotors that the info on the vitus website was incorrect. Said they were 203mm but stock are 200mm which are harder to find, but cheaper when you do. Still, bought a pair of 203mm for nothing now ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I noticed when I changed my rotors that the info on the vitus website was incorrect. Said they were 203mm but stock are 200mm which are harder to find, but cheaper when you do. Still, bought a pair of 203mm for nothing now ?
Where did you find cheap 200mm rotors?
I haven't seen any cheaper than about £25
203s can be had for about £6 (CLARKS)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. @Master Link £100 for the pair.
The VR comes with Sram guide RE brakes and use 200mm rotors not 203mm.

To use 203mm rotors with a guide caliper you can shim the adapter 1.5mm or change the adapter.
this won't help if you are planning on running two wheelsets on the same bike with 200mm rotors on one and 203mm on the other though.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Yes. @Master Link £100 for the pair.
The VR comes with Sram guide RE brakes and use 200mm rotors not 203mm.

To use 203mm rotors with a guide caliper you can shim the adapter 1.5mm or change the adapter.
this won't help if you are planning on running two wheelsets on the same bike with 200mm rotors on one and 203mm on the other though.
Thanks Gary. Incredible value for the wheels for my on road commute. So it’s SRAM rotors then, and I have a spare cassette, so good to go?

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
They are a great find @Gary I could do with a pair of 26 inch wheels for my old bike. The rear hubs are 142x12mm, but they have a link to a page that has QR adapters that I'd need. Little bit of research and they seem like they use rebranded novatec 882 rear hubs, which lead me to this page...

FAQLoad - Novatec 881/882 hubs

I think I also need 135mm rear hub spacing and that page seems to suggest the QR adapter would change it to that. ☺️

Have emailed superstar components to confirm... Think I've missed my chance at getting the black hub, black rim option now and see me getting orange/orange instead.

Thanks again for the heads up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles