E road bikes? What's around? (Boardman content)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just had an Email from Halfords announcing release of their new Boardman range of E bikes (road/commuter)
and they have a 16kg Fazua roadbike at a fairly competitive £2700 (for spec, sram apex/hydro group).
Geometry is acceptible too (chainstays a bit long and H/A a little slacker than I'd choose but I like tight racey road geometry)
ADV 8.9E

20214-BI_ADV_8.9_Electric_Bike.jpg

what other options out there just now are decent?

and has anyone ridden both a mid drive vs a hub motor road E bike? (what were your thoughts?)

I'd also consider E CX bikes if geometry is good and weight isn't too high

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This is the only other bike that's caught my eye (but I've never ridden a hub motor I liked)

Ribble Endurance SL e

rc-day-two-selection-65.jpg

slightly better (racier) geometry and a lot lighter (11kg)

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I didn’t get eMTB’s when they first arrived, but I still need convincing on e road bikes (for a relatively fit person). My average speed is usually over 25kph so wouldn’t the eBike not provided much of an advantage, compared to the average MTB speed of <15kph?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah James. I'm the other way round from you. I've always "got" e bikes and don't really understand anyone who doesn't "get" them.
I already have a Carbon TCR. My average speed on it is never under 15mph for longer rides and still aproaches 20mph for shorter under 2 hour long or flatter rides and I wouldn't actually consider myself very fit anymore. Relative fitness? Dunno. relative to what? I'm unfit and a lot heavier relative to my younger self that's for sure. ;)
I'm not looking for an "advantage" and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm simply looking at an Ebike for a 20mile each way (road) commute so I won't have to wear lycra and won't arrive either end in need of a shower. I'm currently commuting on my ESommet (with the tyres at 55psi)... fun as that is.. it's not the appropriate use for such a capable bike.
Hence asking here. I know a few users here have E road bikes and others are bound to have tried them.

Ps. I'm also not looking for a flat bar E road bike (If i was I'd probably just get an ESentier and put slicks on it)

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Relatively fit for your age, well, from my perspective that’s how they class you for amateur racing. Although I’m always overtaken by “fit” old men!

Makes complete sense as a commuter, and probably for a range of other people, frankly it’s something that should be encouraged - reduces congestion, pollution, improves health etc.. But I don’t think your average jo roadie will benefit in the same way we do on MTB’s - happy to be persuaded otherwise though.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
This is the only other bike that's caught my eye (but I've never ridden a hub motor I liked)

Ribble Endurance SL e

rc-day-two-selection-65.jpg

slightly better (racier) geometry and a lot lighter (11kg)
I have not ridden the Ribble, but have tried the Orbea Gain which uses the same powertrain but has clearances and geometry that are a bit more gravelly:

NEC Cycle Show 2018 - mini show report - EMTB Forums

I was impressed to a point - the hub drive was very smooth, disengaged nicely and it felt pretty natural to ride in the assisted zone. However I think any of these e-road/gravel bikes is going to be somewhat annoying for anyone such as yourself who is used to averaging 15mph plus on a 2hr road ride. In a hilly area they make more sense, but if you are pretty fit and your aim is to arrive at work sweat free then you will have to accept the maximum average you can achieve will be 14ish in order to remain e-assisted at all times. If the limit was upped to 20mph they’d be a whole lot more useful, though would probably need bigger, heavier 400-500Wh batteries.

Ps - I don’t think that Riibble will be 11kg unless you spend a fair bit more than the base model (£2499) which is based on Tiagra. I would still pick it over a Fazua powered road bike though, providing you still have an analog road bike to fall back on for longer rides/when you want to ride unassisted.

Last edited:

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Whilst I'm not into road riding I found this video quite interesting.

Prior to my Levo I had a Specialized Camber comp carbon (for sale if anyones interested) for the rough stuff, and used a hybrid style bike for the odd commute (Flat bars, Road bike gear ratios, 32c Smart Sam tyres, no suspension). In all honesty the hybrid was brilliant for most day to day scenarios, it was great for forest tracks / canal paths etc and only really came unstuck on muddy paths / really rough tracks.

I see the point of the hybrid / gravel electric bikes for commuters and those people who don't do a massive amount of off-road riding. A bike with the Fazua motor would be my choice as the entire battery and motor can be removed, and the Boardmans seem to be coming in at a very keen price compared to other Fazua motored bikes.

Personally though I am going to stay with just my Levo, it might not be fast rolling on hardpac surfaces, but the motor makes it usable everywhere I am likely to use it. My Camber Comp was too much hard work for the commute and that is where the hybrid came in. On the Levo the motor overcomes the issues of running on road etc.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The new Fazua powered Whytes are on their website now - look pretty nice, but have awful names and are a fair chunk more expensive than the Boardman - £3k for the flat bar Hoxton (presumably they will only sell you one if you have a hipster beard... ;)), £3300 for the drop bar Winchelsea and £3500 for the slightly higher specced Gosford:

F9D9EB8E-C099-457C-ADB9-283984C06411.jpeg

0F022280-249A-4DAB-8877-411723EDB710.jpeg

Whyte Fazua E-Bikes

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles