E MTB as only bike

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
Hi, just contemplating getting a 2018 kenevo, currently have an evil following which I love....

How many of you still ride non emtb as well or has emtb taken over as your main ride?

Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I guess a lot of that depends on what you ride and how often you ride. One of the main reasons i got one is i live at the bottom of the surrey hills, about 3 miles of increasing uphill away from where the fun starts, at the top of the hills, and the e-mtb gets me there without me knackering myself out.

The most addictive element of owning an e-bike, is that no terrain is off limits - you can do more laps, and ride more terrain, and getting back on a normal bike you miss that. Having said that if you are going to a trail centre, or BPW or similar, then that side isn't so important.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi MgBudd,

My advice to you is if you can find one, buy it tomorrow as they are selling out fast.

I have owned my ebike since the 2nd of February.

In that time I have completed 87 rides, S Works Epic 4 times, S Works Enduro 2 times and my road bike once. My modified Levo/Kenevo ebike, 80 times

Am I riding more than I ever have?
Yes, probably 2 to 3 times as much as I used to and sometimes twice a day (Initially time out required while it charged but not anymore as I purchased a spare battery)

Am I having more fun than I ever had?
Yes, As I am riding so many different types of trails now that I would never have even looked at before.

Am I fitter?
Yes, more than I have been in a very long time.

Am I going to sell some of my analogue bikes? I honestly did not realise I had completed 87 rides. 80 rides versus 7 rides hmmmmmmm......
Yes, as it has just become very apparent that I am not riding them very much and they are gathering dust.

Am I going to keep any analogue bikes?
Yes, as it is a different and really enjoyable experience even though it feels like the rear brake is almost fully on when you are climbing. Pointing them down hill it is a different story and still amazing and brilliant. However, now I have my own personal uplift it explains the 80 v 7

Will I buy a second ebike?
Yes, Once I sell some of my analogue bikes as you can never have too many ebikes :cool:

Don't wait, buy it, buy it, buy it!

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I too am selling all my analogue bikes (got 3 to sell, two fat bikes and a hardtail commuter), and all the riding I want to do will be solely with my E-bike.

Have become a bit of an E-bike snob: to be honest, I think everyone should have them, and seeing people enthusiastic over analogue bikes just makes me shake my head.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I don’t ride my full Susser now , it’s just slow and boring after the EMTB I still love to ride my nice light xc hardtail on easy xc stuff and my road bike is still a joy to ride but the ebike has done the most miles since I’ve had it , but that’s partly because I have such good local off road that I wasn’t enjoying so much pedaling a heavy enduro bike

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
One must own a DH bike for park days. It's amazing how light a 35# DH bike feels after putting hundreds of miles on an ebike.

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
Great, thanks everyone for the feedback - I was afraid of that!!!!

I have arranged for a demo on the Trek LT 9 for 48 hours this weekend to try eMTB! I couldn't find a demo Kenevo anywhere locally to demo so figure it will give me an idea before I sink a load of cash in to the Kenevo.... who knows I may love the trek :) I will give some thoughts after my demo

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Mine is my do it all bike, i got a second set of wheels with smooth tires for commuting, makes a lot of difference.
EMTB's can be really comfy on the road and with the motor assist it is just so much fun.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Great, thanks everyone for the feedback - I was afraid of that!!!!

I have arranged for a demo on the Trek LT 9 for 48 hours this weekend to try eMTB! I couldn't find a demo Kenevo anywhere locally to demo so figure it will give me an idea before I sink a load of cash in to the Kenevo.... who knows I may love the trek :) I will give some thoughts after my demo

Rutland Cycles do a 48 hour demo delivered to your door on Friday with a pick up on Monday. All you need to do is clean it and pack it back in its box for £49.99. I hired a Kenevo from them a few months back and at that time the bike was virtually brand new.

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
Thanks again everyone, opinion seems conclusive! Thanks for the tip, I will give Rutland a call and see if they can help

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
It is tempting to go to one bike now I've got the Levo, but it was such an investment I want to take good care of it , so I'm not planning on using it in poor weather (when I get a choice anyway), so keeping the hardtail Fuse which is a fun bike in it's own right. Handy also if the Levo needs some work doing, having a backup!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have only ridden the Stumpjumper once in the last 6 months. Felt light as a feather! I only took it out as I was with non EMTB friends.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
I purchased a Levo 5 months back and my poor scott genius has now doubled up as a large clothing rail in my garage.
Since getting an ebike I’ve not been able to hide the big cheesy grin after every single ride and I mean every single ride.??I even take my 8 year old daughter out on her Mtb ,me beening on the ebike but I ride it analogue and it evens things out for her , we still do 10 miles +.
Once you get an ebike I’m sure you’ll wonder why you haven’t done it sooner.
A word of warning though get ready for your cheeks hurting from all the grinning. ????????

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
It is tempting to go to one bike now I've got the Levo, but it was such an investment I want to take good care of it , so I'm not planning on using it in poor weather (when I get a choice anyway), so keeping the hardtail Fuse which is a fun bike in it's own right. Handy also if the Levo needs some work doing, having a backup!

Thats what I thought but my Jam2 is such a joy to ride that I look for excuses to ride it . Thought I would keep it pristine until a minor fall and subsequently that has gone clean out of the window after the second heavier crash into the undergrowth . So now I just clean and maintain it well but dont worry about the paintwork . I have had more crashes on the Jam than on the old Iron Bike:whistle:........just worked out why:unsure: I ride way more and F A S T E R:D:cool::LOL::sneaky::giggle::devilish:
Have fun
Quiet  overgrown Suffolk Bridleway.jpg
PS any one want an old Giant Hybrid..it will never get used again!!!!! Giant Boulder (5).JPG

Last edited:

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
Yeah, have not ridden my Stumpjumper since I bought my Haibike Xduro All Min 6.0. I need to sell the Stumpjumper before everyone realizes that ebikes are the best thing since sliced bread, reducing the demand for analog bikes to zero.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Mine is my do it all bike, i got a second set of wheels with smooth tires for commuting, makes a lot of difference.
EMTB's can be really comfy on the road and with the motor assist it is just so much fun.
What is your bike and set up for everyday use ?

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
I have a Haibike Hardnine 7.0 2018 hardtail with a Bosch CX, 500Wh battery, Sram shiftgroup, Suntour Raidon fork, Bontrager line comp 30 wheels with Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres.
I am still looking into my 1st emtb I keep getting drawn to the bulls e stream but only one supplier in the UK
Kenevo and levo so popular

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
The Bulls is a very nice looking bike, it's got the Brose motor, same as the Specialized ones so the motor is not the deciding point for you i guess. I think you need to look at what you use the bike for and what you think looks best. If you use the bike mainly on the streets, like me, you might want to go for a geometry that is more comfortable vs more agressive.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
The Bulls is a very nice looking bike, it's got the Brose motor, same as the Specialized ones so the motor is not the deciding point for you i guess. I think you need to look at what you use the bike for and what you think looks best. If you use the bike mainly on the streets, like me, you might want to go for a geometry that is more comfortable vs more agressive.

Yes your correct the brose motor is what attracted me to certain brand bikes mainly due to the low noise and lack of drag once hitting limiter
I suppose am trying to find that "do it all bike" and the bulls seemed to fit ...unfortuantly i am not a rich man so the choice has to be a correct one.

But also we are drawn to looks aswell which sometimes dictates our choice too

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Like i said, try the bikes, see wich one fits for you. Although i really don't think there is a wrong choice to be made, spesh and bulls seems both awesome bikes and i really think you will be overjoyed with either one. eMTB's are very addictive.

-edit, a second set of wheels is a very nice thing to have if you alternate between trails and street.

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Nearly all e-bike reviews contain the line "It won't replace your normal bike", though after just three weeks, even road bikes make me feel like i'm riding with the brakes on... My Kenevo has absolutely replaced my 'normal' bike...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles