Article E-Bikes, they just do all the work for you

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Well, that is what people who have never ridden them think. The reality is quite different though as you find out as soon as you start riding E-MTB. The truth is that you can make it as easy or as hard as you like, just like a normal pedaling ride. You can sit and spin, chatting away, or you can grind it out, testing the limits of your grit as your heart rate soars.

IMG_0568.jpg
Cruising around on the Mondraker Level RR as my regular E-Bike

My name is Ben Plenge and I run The Strength Factory . I have been coaching mountain bike racers professionally for the last 5 years, from World Cup pro downhillers and Enduro racing machines to every day trail riders like you. I also love riding E-Bikes.

I want to tell you about why I think training can improve your riding as an E-Biker and why it needs to be a bit different to normal mountain bike training……….

You still...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So true!
Ben is a cool guy, i'm very looking forward to your oncoming trainings and your races Rob! Not to mention you have to be a bit crazy to do the megavalanche, but it will definitely be awesome! o_O:cool:
He's awesome and just the right person to help! And quick on his bike too!

@Jonny2 and @ChilternsMTB will also be doing the Mega with me ??

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I was going to write the same thing!!! I sure wish my 300cc two stroke would ride itself during hours of practice and then again at the races! :):):)

It's the same with everything that has a motor (F1, Nascar, Drag-Queen-Racing, Trials, whatever... ). A motor without a skilled rider is just a motor. And with or without motor, you can ride or you can RIDE!:)

Last edited:

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Glad my e-bike did all the work for me today!!!
18-Apr flat single track.JPG

This is Garmin data from my near daily run, 80% single-track through the pines and SOFT sugar sand in the SE USA. This isn't a manicured bike trail, these are mostly lightly used animal trails and single-file walking paths with roots, rocks and large fields of foot deep craters dug out by the local wild hog population. I even had to stop today to hit the asthma inhaler, my allergies are going berserk during this pollen filled spring season!!!

The more I get to ride my Fezzari Wire Peak Pro, the more convinced I am it was money spent wisely. The bike gets me my adrenalin fix and keeps me working towards better health. Win-Win.

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Glad my e-bike did all the work for me today!!!
View attachment 13071
This is Garmin data from my near daily run, 80% single-track through the pines and SOFT sugar sand in the SE USA. This isn't a manicured bike trail, these are mostly lightly used animal trails and single-file walking paths with roots, rocks and large fields of foot deep craters dug out by the local wild hog population. I even had to stop today to hit the asthma inhaler, my allergies are going berserk during this pollen filled spring season!!!

The more I get to ride my Fezzari Wire Peak Pro, the more convinced I am it was money spent wisely. The bike gets me my adrenalin fix and keeps me working towards better health. Win-Win.
Blimey, that’s slightly better than the average speed I achieve on my gravel bike on 28mm tyres on the road! Impressive. I guess your assistance cutout must be higher than the EU (25kmh) limit though.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Blimey, that’s slightly better than the average speed I achieve on my gravel bike on 28mm tyres on the road! Impressive. I guess your assistance cutout must be higher than the EU (25kmh) limit though.

Thank you, just trying to show you do get a workout on an eMTB . FWIW, gearing and wind resistance are the limiting factors on top speed but my cutout is a smidgen higher than the EU limit. :censored:

Last edited:

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Great article, and look forward to watching the video - great that this sort of article and subject is popping up here, rather than just the usual 'which tyre' -
After a good ride on the Quantocks on the Levo it is my shoulders and arms that ache the most - as a result of the riding I am able to do with the e-bike, as opposed to the 'e-bike' doing the work - if that makes sense!

Loving Levo

May 7, 2019
Bellevue, WA
Nice article, thanks.

Also note that some of us have no choice. I was a lifelong bike rider (in fact long destination bike rides were often how my wife and I would spend anniversaries and other special occasions), until my doctor told me I had to sell it - I have a degenerative joint disease, and pressing hard was making my joints worse. After a good ride, sometimes I couldn't walk for a week.

So I stopped riding for a few years. But now I have an e-bike, and I'm back out riding - and it is fantastic! I know how hard I can pedal, and I pedal that hard...if I'm on a big hill that needs more, I have the bike do the rest.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles