E-Bike is now allowed in Federal National Parks!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Mtb project has nothing to do with the blm, all the trail info is submitted by users, I wouldn't rely on it 100% for where ebikes are allowed or not.

Lino

Jul 26, 2019
Hilmar, Ca. USA
If this ruling is for all ebikes I don’t see this as being a problem, just because some ebikes are faster doesn’t mean they are any good for real trails.
Also there are custom bikes built for handicapped persons that have no legs for pedal assist bikes yet they want to adventure the same, and they might not be able to get on single track, they can still enjoy nature on fireroads.

Lino

Jul 26, 2019
Hilmar, Ca. USA
This is going to boost the sale of e bikes in the US, but (most) of the e bikes are made in China. So with the US China Trade War going on, higher e bike prices? Shortages on ebikes?
Actually a few companies already moved out of China for this reason many bikes are now built in Taiwan

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Because the order gave the regions 30 days to allow them. NPS already posted their rules and already allows them.

Think this is where you are confused.. it’s 30 days for depts to respond to the order by writing up new changes.. then there’s more review including a public commenting phase.

It’s not 30 days and ebikes are allowed. and it’s not allowed already since nps submitted their write up, they just submitted the write before the 30 days, now other depts have to follow suit, then there will be some changes, no doubt before final draft etc..

Just think about all the signage and maps they will have to reprint and change. Is it logical to you that that would happen in 30 days...?

Trust me, I live right on the boarder of a national park, know people who work for nps.. don’t think this will be done in 30 days and you definitely cannot ride right now..

But I’ve said this about 10 times so far and I feel like I’m talking to a brick so I’ll peace out:)

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Nice step in the right direction for us living in the US. I am hoping that this extends or at least influences the National Forest Service, as others have state, because at this point I am not sure it does directly.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Think this is where you are confused.. it’s 30 days for depts to respond to the order by writing up new changes.. then there’s more review including a public commenting phase.

It’s not 30 days and ebikes are allowed. and it’s not allowed already since nps submitted their write up, they just submitted the write before the 30 days, now other depts have to follow suit, then there will be some changes, no doubt before final draft etc..

Just think about all the signage and maps they will have to reprint and change. Is it logical to you that that would happen in 30 days...?

Trust me, I live right on the boarder of a national park, know people who work for nps.. don’t think this will be done in 30 days and you definitely cannot ride right now..
:)

It has to be done in 30 days. The order said "as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days."

And the action is to notify the public with notices of what we already know from reading the order. We don't have to wait for signs to be installed since the notice is also electronic.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado

:)
Count me as confused then too. Where are you getting your information? It looks to my like it is 30 days and e-bikes are allowed. The BLM has 30 days to update there regs. We don't have to wait for the signs to change.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
From BLM’s website:

“The BLM and MTB Project are connecting communities through a National partnership to provide an interactive ride experience”

I don't know what that means in reality. I have submitted multiple trails to mtbproject, which is now owned by REI. You deal with volunteer admins who evaluate your submission. All the trails in my area have been submitted by individuals like me. I've never seen any connection with the blm, or usfs, or any federal agency outside of a listing of whoever the local land manager is.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Count me as confused then too. Where are you getting your information? It looks to my like it is 30 days and e-bikes are allowed. The BLM has 30 days to update there regs. We don't have to wait for the signs to change.

It’s right in the document posted to this thread.

b) Within 30 days of the date of this Order, submit a report to the Secretary including:
i) A summary of the policy changes enacted in response to this Order;
ii) A summary o f any laws or regulations that prohibit the full adoption o f the
policy described by this Order; and
iii) A timeline to seek public comment on changing any regulation described
above.
c) Within 30 days of the date of this Order, provide appropriate public guidance regarding the use of e-bikes on public lands within units of the National Park System, National Wildlife Refuge System, lands managed by BLM, and lands managed by BOR.

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
I don't know what that means in reality. I have submitted multiple trails to mtbproject, which is now owned by REI. You deal with volunteer admins who evaluate your submission. All the trails in my area have been submitted by individuals like me. I've never seen any connection with the blm, or usfs, or any federal agency outside of a listing of whoever the local land manager is.

Their role in the partnership allows for use of BLM land.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
The National Parks are regulated by the Dept of Interior, the National Forests are regulated by the Dept of Agriculture, I'm not sure if the Dept of Interior might supersede Dept of Agriculture, but usually when these memorandums are handed down at the highest level, most other agencies follow suit (30 day window given for all agencies to adopt a new policy). I suppose due to the grey area here that hitting up a National Forest could easily be explained to a ranger not aware of this new action.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
But everyone in OC are haters, OCParks specifically to the point that they hand tickets out to everyone and anyone they see doing anything against their archaic rules.
Is why I got my ass out of there 40 years ago - was going backwards then.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
It’s right in the document posted to this thread.

c) Within 30 days of the date of this Order, provide appropriate public guidance regarding the use of e-bikes on public lands within units of the National Park System, National Wildlife Refuge System, lands managed by BLM, and lands managed by BOR.

Exactly. Within 30 days they have to say it is ok to ride and what the rules are, such as Class-1 only vs also allowing 2 or 3. So you can ride in 30 days or less if you want to wait for the official notice to the public rather than start riding now based on the order.

There is no waiting for any comment period. That is just in case they want to fine-tune the rules later.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Exactly. Within 30 days they have to say it is ok to ride and what the rules are, such as Class-1 only vs also allowing 2 or 3. So you can ride in 30 days or less if you want to wait for the official notice to the public rather than start riding now based on the order.

There is no waiting for any comment period. That is just in case they want to fine-tune the rules later.

Just have to agree to disagree..

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
A few years from now, you will see lots of mtb and emtb riding together on the trails and wonder what all the fuss was about, same as snowboarding and skiing in winter. Ebikes arent going away, same as snowboards never went away.

Haters arguments will fall apart given time and exposure to ebikes and the dawning realisation that they are just a bicycle.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
It's official: All electric bicycles are now allowed in all national parks - Electrek

Maybe, this news story is just one insiders optimistic read on the same stuff already spoken about... the wording in his article is not ambiguous however.

My question is, how long before the States start voluntary adoption on state land, and will the Fed hold money back if they dont? Near my folks home in Michigan, it seems no true MTB trails allow emtbs. Maybe this changes sooner than even I had thought possible.

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
It's official: All electric bicycles are now allowed in all national parks - Electrek

Maybe, this news story is just one insiders optimistic read on the same stuff already spoken about... the wording in his article is not ambiguous however.

My question is, how long before the States start voluntary adoption on state land, and will the Fed hold money back if they dont? Near my folks home in Michigan, it seems no true MTB trails allow emtbs. Maybe this changes sooner than even I had thought possible.
State adoption has been going for years. The adoption of the 3 tier classification in DC and 33 states so far has “ demotorized” Ebikes but in most cases allows local (county, town....”) to specify which bike paths or trails are allowed by class. Many restrict ebikes from dirt paths or trails while allow on bike paths. For example in Colorado, my home, allows Ebikes on all state bike trails, and my county, Jefferson, since Jan 2019, on their extensive hike/bike trail system. Whereas, the city of Boulder, allows them on man made surface but not natural surfaces. Until this current order Ebikes were banned on any non motorized Federal trails within Colorado. It’s a mess but obviously there is a trend toward greater access everywhere. ? See
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/state-electric-bicycle-laws-a-legislative-primer.aspx

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Stat

State adoption has been going for years. The adoption of the 3 tier classification in DC and 33 states so far has “ demotorized” Ebikes but in most cases allows local (county, town....”) to specify which bike paths or trails are allowed by class. Many restrict ebikes from dirt paths or trails while allow on bike paths. For example in Colorado, my home, allows Ebikes on all state bike trails, and my county, Jefferson, since Jan 2019, on their extensive hike/bike trail system. Whereas, the city of Boulder, allows them on man made surface but not natural surfaces. Until this current order Ebikes were banned on any non motorized Federal trails within Colorado. It’s a mess but obviously there is a trend toward greater access everywhere. ? See
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/state-electric-bicycle-laws-a-legislative-primer.aspx
This is what I see in Michigan also.

I'm hoping the acoustic bike mafia loose a little of their influence over the local park officials now that the big boys have spoken...

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Thats always been the case here in CA, If you can ride motos (OHV trail) you can ride emtb and mtb.. Tahoe national forest has a lot of places to ride motos.

In addition, Class 1 E-MTBs will be extended additional opportunities on the Tahoe National Forest starting in 2019.

A “class 1 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.

In addition to forest roads, OHV trails and motorcycle trails are open to e-bikes, and in 2019, the Tahoe NF will be extending opportunities for Class 1 E-MTB riders to use recommended non-motorized trails across the forest.

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
Aye
In addition, Class 1 E-MTBs will be extended additional opportunities on the Tahoe National Forest starting in 2019.

A “class 1 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.

In addition to forest roads, OHV trails and motorcycle trails are open to e-bikes, and in 2019, the Tahoe NF will be extending opportunities for Class 1 E-MTB riders to use recommended non-motorized trails across the forest.
Aye, like this
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4592328/pioneer-trail

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles