E-Bike is now allowed in Federal National Parks!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
It has to be done in 30 days. The order said "as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days."

And the action is to notify the public with notices of what we already know from reading the order. We don't have to wait for signs to be installed since the notice is also electronic.

Ok so it’s been almost 30 days... so all of these new rules have been enacted and you can ride ebikes in parks like you said?

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
The national parks has updated there policy. BLM has not updated there's. We should all call them and ask what them what they are doing.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
What e-bikes mean for Yosemite, Point Reyes, Sequoia

this is what everyones up against..

"Rangers could solve this by banning mountain bikes here, a worthy sacrifice that would take care of the e-bike issue in a single maneuver."

unbelievable.. but not
Actually, that's the opinion of one "glass half empty" person. Most logical optimistic (or glass half full) people will just get on with it and enjoy life. Yes there will be idiots who try and stop the inevitable sea of change, like the original protesters against the first mountain bikes on their precious "walking trails", but they need to get over themselves and accept that we all enjoy different outdoor pursuits and it doesn't need to be a competition for the resources, any more than it was in the 70's and 80's.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Actually, that's the opinion of one "glass half empty" person. Most logical optimistic (or glass half full) people will just get on with it and enjoy life. Yes there will be idiots who try and stop the inevitable sea of change, like the original protesters against the first mountain bikes on their precious "walking trails", but they need to get over themselves and accept that we all enjoy different outdoor pursuits and it doesn't need to be a competition for the resources, any more than it was in the 70's and 80's.

Thank you

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
00EA24A8-8A2C-4E66-B34D-843D0EF05071.jpeg

Mrs levity on the White Rim Trail near Lathrop Canyon in Canyonlands Natl Park

E0C5B638-341E-4B88-B0B5-53D48244BDC2.jpeg

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

Just talked to local national park employee and they still haven’t decided what to do.. so it really depends on location.. this is in California... they are thinking of making current bike trail illegal to get around this order.. so it’s not just opinion.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
None of the national parks I've been to had any trails open to mtb's, just a few dirt roads. It's BLM access that's going to make the difference, and then national forest.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Just talked to local national park employee and they still haven’t decided what to do.. so it really depends on location.. this is in California... they are thinking of making current bike trail illegal to get around this order.. so it’s not just opinion.
Yeah it is. that was one employee!!!! Because I'm a glass half full type of guy, bet you a six pack of craft beer, that doesn't happen.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
BLM has updated their policies.
E-bikes on public lands | Bureau of Land Management
They are waffling a little but it does say:
In considering when and where to authorize the use of e-bikes, District or Field Managers should take into account the policy set forth in SO 3376 that the use of e-bikes in the pedal assist mode and traditional bicycles without an electric pedal assist should be treated generally in the same manner.

In the event that a District or Field Manager is considering denying the use of low-speed electric bicycles in a specific location, a written explanation must be submitted to and approved by the State Director.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
BLM has updated their policies.
E-bikes on public lands | Bureau of Land Management
They are waffling a little but it does say:
From the People for Bikes link:
Does the Secretarial Order apply to the Forest Service?
No. The United States Forest Service is part of the Department of Agriculture. The Secretarial Order has no bearing on Forest Service bicycle policies or those that pertain to any other Department of Agriculture lands.

Too bad many of the amazing trails around Lake Tahoe are USFS :(

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
...Too bad many of the amazing trails around Lake Tahoe are USFS :(

Tahoe National Forest - Home

"The Tahoe National Forest offers a wide variety of e-mountain bike (E-MTB) riding opportunities... Class 1 E-MTBs will be extended additional opportunities on the Tahoe National Forest starting in 2019...

a list of trails: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd641617.pdf

also this from FB:

Based on this I'm optimistic that more trails in the Tahoe basin will be open to ebikes in the future

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Tahoe National Forest - Home

"The Tahoe National Forest offers a wide variety of e-mountain bike (E-MTB) riding opportunities... Class 1 E-MTBs will be extended additional opportunities on the Tahoe National Forest starting in 2019...

a list of trails: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd641617.pdf

also this from FB:

Based on this I'm optimistic that more trails in the Tahoe basin will be open to ebikes in the future
I’m aware of the OHV trails but this is the first I’ve seen mention of “extended opportunities in 2019”. There’s hope! Thanks for posting.

cdalexcracer

Sep 9, 2020
Denver, CO
But everyone in OC are haters, OCParks specifically to the point that they hand tickets out to everyone and anyone they see doing anything against their archaic rules.
Totally True, was stopped by park rangers on a trail off the 73 and had to talk to them for a while to avoid a ticket. They were reasonable and let me go on my way since I was reasonable with them, you know didn't claim I was a sovereign citizen or anything!
Picked up a Class 2 sticker for my DIY bike to hopefully make next encounter a little easier, couldn't hurt. Looks like they have a Class 3 option, too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/eBike-Clas...for-Electric-Bike-Sur-Ron-2-pack/164376333987

Are there any trails with an exception that we should be avoiding? Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles