E-bike hating Grouse !!

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
I was out today braving the frozen paths and Icey winds on the Langsett /Cutgate mtb route.
A couple of miles into the ride the grouse in the image attacked me.Luckily I had my lid on and my jawbreakers otherwise this anti would have had my eye out ?. This site would not allow me to upload the extended movie file.
Anybody else been attacked whilst out biking ?
BCDBA959-DC9F-4A85-B6A2-CC61859B0547.png

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
Love it. Wasnt exactly attacked but turned the corner up on a local trail once and came face to um face with a goat. Massive he was. Knew it was a he by the massive ........ horns/antler things on his head. Thankfully he ran away.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Various dogs over the years, always one at a time though.
I was intimidated by a bull once. (And I mean once, there is no way I would go in a field now with a bull in it).
A squirrel tried to stop me! It sat in the middle of the trail looking right at me, but sadly on this occasion the legendary quickness of squirrels evaded it and it became X-shaped trail chunder.

Oh and pheasant had my rear tyre off! It ran in front of my car and the body went under the car and hit the rear wheel of my bike hanging from a bike carrier. The tyre came off, the air pressure exploded the green Slime sealant all over the bike and the back of the car. The pheasant's feathers stuck to the sticky Slime. I knew I'd hit the pheasant but not the revenge it had extracted, So it was quite a surprise to find my car and bike had been Slimed and feathered. It took quite a while to sort that one out. :LOL:

I had a Bobcat run across a trail 2 weeks ago - scarred the crap out of me as I thought it was a Mountain Lion for a split second!
I don't like Mountain Lions as they can stalk and attack!
They are the only animals I worry about in the mountains around SoCal. (apart from the occasional axe wielding homicidal maniac!)

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
I had a Bobcat run across a trail 2 weeks ago - scarred the crap out of me as I thought it was a Mountain Lion for a split second!
I don't like Mountain Lions as they can stalk and attack!
They are the only animals I worry about in the mountains around SoCal. (apart from the occasional axe wielding homicidal maniac!)
The Grouse took me by surprise when it attacked - most probably protecting its territory but a hungry mountain Lion is different level of gravy !!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Night ride a few years back ..Im leading a group of six and must have disturbed a heron roosting in a tree by the banks of the North Tyne ..Tasker who is second in line and the tallest rider in the group by a good four inches has the heron drop down on his helmet prior to it gaining height ..multiple crashes as we all pissed ourselves laughing ?

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Yes, I have been attacked by a Grouse while ebiking. Landed on the back of my neck and pecked at my helmet. I shook it off and it chased me on foot. haha

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Nearly hit a doe (female deer) on a piece of wooded single track coming down the back of Scolty Hill near Banchory. I must have startled her as I was doing about 25 mph. We just avoided one another! phew! :poop: Change of shorts please...

Going skiing on my own one winter's day, I nearly hit a Golden Eagle in Strathdon. Using the back road shortcuts, came round a bend to find the eagle scavenging road kill. It took off, filled my windscreen with wings and feathers. I ducked in case I hit it and it came through. Fortunately it passed just over the car!

Had a few tense moments hiking. Like @steve_sordy we came a cross a bull in a field once. tip-toeing away as quietly and gracefully as possible. Other time was a Red Deer stag in the heather above Loch Muick. Me and a friend had climbed out of the Loch head and were coming across the waist deep heather towards Lochnagar and all of a sudden this stag put his head (and antlers) up about 20 yards away and snorted. We changed direction and took an alternative route!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've often encountered the wild Cheviot Goats on the Border Ridge ..they use the stone slabbed sections as a motorway and I've previously chased them along for a good few minutes ( at a distance because some of those Billy's horns look a bit tasty) before they buggered off onto the moorland ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles