E+ 1 shock blew up.....

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Yet another warranty claim for the dreaded Trance.....part way into my ride the shock made a very loud crack and spewed all its oil out from behind the reb adjuster, the lock out switch is now loose and not connected........with only a month of it's 12mth warranty left it's time to get rid I think....am over owning a product that costs me money taking it to dealer all the time.......NZ Giant warranty only covers parts, not labour or the running around I have to do to sort getting bits fixed. Just want a bike to ride thats not at the shop getting fixed ?
20190918_133924.jpg

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
To be fair it's a bit harsh to blame Giant for that - it's presumably an off the shelf Fox shock that has been specced, so it's Fox who have caused the issue in this instance. I can appreciate it probably doesn't feel like that though if this is the latest in a long line of issues...

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Yeah, i agree, certainly not a Giant manufacturing issue but too bad they dont cover labor (15 min labor job anyhow)

Hoping you keep the Trance & just replace the shock & move fwd

EDIT: Wouldnt be doing my job if i didnt ask what pressures you were running? Was the sag set correctly? Was the shock set in the semi-locked out position?

Last edited:

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Yeah, i agree, certainly not a Giant manufacturing issue but too bad they dont cover labor (15 min labor job anyhow)

Hoping you keep the Trance & just replace the shock & move fwd

EDIT: Wouldnt be doing my job if i didnt ask what pressures you were running? Was the sag set correctly? Was the shock set in the semi-locked out position?
Yeah I get that, just the straw that broke the camels back with this bike...

Shock is set at 190psi, 25-30% sag, middle lockout position......was only riding a transfer trail at the time.....something snapped inside, it became an air filled pogo stick after that....not a fun ride back out haha...

Last edited:

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
It’s worth a well worded e-mail to FOX direct, they wouldn’t want this PR without chance to satisfy a customer ??

I know it’s a GIANT warranty issue, but nothing wrong with a two pronged approach ?

Good luck

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Components fail sometimes through nobodys fault, thats life. Sounds like your bike was built on a Friday.

Sad for you that you have problems instead of just enjoying your bike, hope you get it sorted soon, ideally a replacement shock instead of repair.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Components fail sometimes through nobodys fault, thats life. Sounds like your bike was built on a Friday.

Sad for you that you have problems instead of just enjoying your bike, hope you get it sorted soon, ideally a replacement shock instead of repair.
I think you're right lol.....just gets frustrating not be able to have confidence in something.........my new bars did turn up, just have nothing to put them on ?

20190919_103142.jpg

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I'd place the blame on both Giant and Fox, trunion shocks are a way to squeeze a longer stroke shock into the same space as an eyelet shock, but they are under higher side loads and are more susceptible to failure. Shock tuners have been reporting failures like this since they first appeared. A lose back end can rip one up.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
trunion shocks are a way to squeeze a longer stroke shock into the same space as an eyelet shock, but they are under higher side loads and are more susceptible to failure.
From my minimal engineering background I have no real issue with the trunnion setup ..... as long as there is a swivel bearing at the bottom to allow for a little 'float'. Have seen eyelet spring shocks bend shafts and eyelet air shocks 'burp' because they were mounted rigidly with no ability to twist and move under pressure and that was on analogue bikes. The reality is that even on something like the amazing Honda DH bike Minnaar rode there is some flex and with the weight of a motor eMTB are susceptible to flexing.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My 2019 Trance E+ Pro 1, blew the shock fluid out today (Fox Performance DPS), looking much like Tony's did in the pic above.

My trail has several "G-outs", that I have been hitting faster, and lately lifting the front over, letting the Maestro take the hit. The bike has an unknown number of miles, but i'm sure it has performed well, and the shock is likely due for a rebuild at the least.

The dealer has been very good, and is trying to get a warranty replacement. I'm likely going to buy a spare regardless.

Any upgrade suggestions, for a shock that doesn't break the bank? Or... should I just buy the same thing and service once a year? I ride pretty hard but all natural rocks, roots, logs, washouts, steeps.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
1596070284245.png

Mine did this also. Oil looks like it was coming out around the 3 POS/Reb adjuster assembly. So this is obviously NOT the typical Air chamber seal failure?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My shock was trashed, the shop guy does much of the rebuild work in house, and said it was just plumb wore out and broke, and out of warranty. I expected this last part. The performance of the Maestro has been incredible to my estimate, and I never had any indication the shock was toast. I ride 10-15 miles 4 or 5 times a week, all of it off-road on trails that work the suspension, nothing flat around my neck of the woods.

I purchased a new DPX2 Factory unit and it should be in on Wednesday. ?

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
View attachment 36946

Mine did this also. Oil looks like it was coming out around the 3 POS/Reb adjuster assembly. So this is obviously NOT the typical Air chamber seal failure?
Mine was a pin behind adjusters somewhere, same as you it happened on a g out and fizzed oil everywhere.
And like you I replaced with a Factory dpx2.....you will really like it! Great shock on the Trance ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Mine was a pin behind adjusters somewhere, same as you it happened on a g out and fizzed oil everywhere.
And like you I replaced with a Factory dpx2.....you will really like it! Great shock on the Trance ?
Has the other troubles with the bike settled down?
Mine had been so dam reliable, that I was starting to get paranoid that the "big one" is coming.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Haha....mine was running sweet but "that" paranoia and lack of 625wh battery availability turned it into a Trek Rail 9 ?
A friend was leading me in that direction (toward new bike) yesterday. It becomes a decision not easily made, once repair cost start figuring into the total cost of ownership.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles