Dual Crown

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I havent yet. Planning on a 180 triple and a coil rear. Probably get it together over the winter

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
I've also been considering this for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger. Currently have a Lyrik 180mm w/ Push HC97, which is really good but there are moments when it's noticeable that more stiffness would be nice. I can't justify making the switch though. On my next e-bike I'll be purchasing something with more travel front and rear and a dual crown fork.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I have just not that long ago, put a 200mm Boxxer on my Merida eonesixty and it made a noticeable difference to the steering precision. Was running 180mm Lyriks prior to that and although the fork has 20mm more travel the crowns are flat, so there was no need to reduce that travel. I am also running a Ohlins TTX coil at the back, still at the 160mm level.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Ya I wonder if it's worth trying to make the bike more DH-y. The front end stiffness would be nice for the high speed rocks. I guess it depends on what you're riding it on. Might be better to keep the single crown for jumping focused stuff.

How's the Öhlins shock? Worth the extra money to upgrade?

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Ya I wonder if it's worth trying to make the bike more DH-y. The front end stiffness would be nice for the high speed rocks. I guess it depends on what you're riding it on. Might be better to keep the single crown for jumping focused stuff.

How's the Öhlins shock? Worth the extra money to upgrade?
Ohlins was a good move, was getting leg cramps on long descents, not so much now. Just to be clear, the type of riding that we do is usually very steep and techy. Not so sure I would recommend my setup for people that ride trail centres, although you should still get away with it.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Ohlins was a good move, was getting leg cramps on long descents, not so much now. Just to be clear, the type of riding that we do is usually very steep and techy. Not so sure I would recommend my setup for people that ride trail centres, although you should still get away with it.
Where do you ride?

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
Anyone played around with putting a dual crown on their decoy and setting it at 170-180mm? I keep think of trying that.
did you end up trying it? I am running a custom fox36 ebike 180 with a system weight of 120kg incl. decoy and wanna replace it with an öhlins dh38 m.1. geo will remain the same.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
did you end up trying it? I am running a custom fox36 ebike 180 with a system weight of 120kg incl. decoy and wanna replace it with an öhlins dh38 m.1. geo will remain the same.
Negative. I ordered a 38, still waiting on that to arrive though. I ended up getting a new dual crown for my DH bike instead.

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
12F35FAF-721B-4149-935A-71918ECE19DD.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Think we have our wires crossed. I thoughgt R120 was referring to the black finish on your seatstays rather than just clear protective tape.
3M make tons of different tapes.

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
The 3m tape has a sandpaper like texture. Which in turn makes it look like grip tape. I made a template for the decoys, that way it fits just about perfect. I covered just the sides of the motor, crank arms, an the rear triangle on my bike. I covered the entire bike on my buddies Decoy. It looks great and protects the bike better then most of the other frame protections on the market.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Reminds me a bit of that paint fish they use in pick up truck beds, think its called raptor paint or something.

Like what you have done there @nativeracer, unique looking ride.

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
I almost wrote it off after speaking to YT and them telling me, that the frame(side of the top tube) is not reinforced to handle stanchion impact.
yt: "The Carbon Capra is dual-crown approved. We made the top tube/headtube area to the same spec as the Tues, to be able to handle stanchion impacts on the frame." the Decoy doesn't have that.

And now this... you give me hope :)
what's your word? what's your travel, offset , flipchip? how about steering room left right? where do the stanchion bumpers hit the frame? any big impacts yet?

i am thinking of getting the Ohlins dh38 in 180 46 offset. or better 50? should harmonize well with my ext storia v3 in the rear.

Last edited:

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
I’ve been riding it with the dual crown for at least 6 months now. I’ve ridden lots of double black trails, jump trails, rock gardens, etc. I’ve had a few crashes and so far so good. It rides and climbs better then the fox 38 @170mm fork I had on it prior. My buddies are all on Decoys as well. All riding Zebs @180mm and one of them @190mm. We’ve tested my bike and theirs back to back. The dual crown was better, it just takes a while to get use to having even less steering. Although, the vast majority of the time its not an issue.
Rockshox Boxxer @190mm, 56mm offset, flip chip is in the low position. You can see in the photo, I’ve got the rubber stops set right below the bulge on the frame in the center.

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
the long offset doesnt tend to understeer? i am so not sure which offset to take. currently running 587mm axle to crown 180 fox36 ebike custom airshaft with secus and 44mm offset. flip chip high 30% sag rear, 26% sag front and dont feel any tucking so I thought to keep it roughly at 44-46, but 44-46 in DC will also limit steering i guess. What s your thought? Which one would you get?

Last edited:

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
1622910280476.png

rides so much better in the park with DC, secus, +5mm reach offset headset, 50mm stem, ODI frame/fork bumpers. 52mm rake/offset is perfect.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
View attachment 63443

rides so much better in the park with DC, secus, +5mm reach offset headset, 50mm stem, ODI frame/fork bumpers. 52mm rake/offset is perfect.
Soooo sick! Little extra reach would be nice, especially if i could keep my HA the same as it is now with the -1 degree headset and 180 sc fork. How much travel are you running on the 40? Any guessds on what your HA is?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
i switched the airshaft to 190mm on the fork. I just measured HA with my cellphone app. it s at 64 degrees. flip chip in high.
Nice! Ive been searching for a deal on a 49 ever since i saw it, and a 20mm front wheel. Bought another 220mm rotor is all so far. Is 5mm the biggest reach adjuster that will fit? I thought there were 8mm adjusters too.

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
u dont need a new front wheel. e13 front wheels can be converted to 20mm for 20 eur endcaps. given the decoy has zs44/56 the biggest adjustment is only 5mm. best option is superstar components. the one from works has no sealing.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
u dont need a new front wheel. e13 front wheels can be converted to 20mm for 20 eur endcaps. given the decoy has zs44/56 the biggest adjustment is only 5mm. best option is superstar components. the one from works has no sealing.
Great , thanks. 5mm superstar components?My front wheel is a dt swiss h1900. Should be able to track down a front wheel no problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles