DT Swiss R 535

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Hi All,

I have a 2020 6.7 Jam2, which I absolutely love, and I am looking to upgrade the rear shock.

I have just purchased a DT Swiss R 535 shock and I believe they are spherical bushings as opposed to the DU ones...

I just wanted to ask if anyone had the foggiest if the mounting hardware from my Jam2 would transfer over to the new shock?

I've never changed the shock before so I'm a complete newb at it... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
So looks like not many folk have the DT Swiss shock...

Just another question that someone maybe to explain...

So rear shock mounting hardware or reducers...

My Jam2 has M8 - 25mm

Looking for the DT Swiss hardware the nearest one is 25.4mm.

Looking at the thickness of the RockShox eyelet against the DT Swiss and the former is thicker...

Does that means I subtract the thickness of the DT Swiss eyelet from the overall frame mount width or is it just that 25mm is what the hardware needs to be?

I have ordered some vernier calipers...

Any thoughts or advice would be great...

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
You should be able to reuse the 25mm guides from the existing shock. The 8mm is the diameter of the fixing bolts.
You may need a shock bush tool to remove the guides from the old shock though.

This guy shows the process well;

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
You should be able to reuse the 25mm guides from the existing shock. The 8mm is the diameter of the fixing bolts.
You may need a shock bush tool to remove the guides from the old shock though.

This guy shows the process well;

Hi Jackware,

Thanks for the reply and video..

I have just measured the internal width of the shock mounting point and that is coming in at 24.1mm which doesn't even measure up to the 25mm stated by focus ?

I am going to try and see if the existing reducers from the RockShox will work with the DT Swiss shock.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if both shocks are eyelet/standard mountings won't the bush dimensions be the same and you should be able to swap the 'spacer tubes' over? On the video he just pushes them out with his thumb, when I swapped my rear shock I had to improvise a press using a small g-clamp and some sockets.

The cable tie tip is very neat and simple and stops the suspension dropping that would make the bolts difficult to remove.

Last edited:

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if both shocks are eyelet/standard mountings won't the bush dimensions be the same and you should be able to swap the 'spacer tubes' over? On the video he just pushes them out with his thumb, when I swapped my rear shock I had to improvise a press using a small g-clamp and some sockets.

The cable tie tip is very neat and simple and stops the suspension dropping that would make the bolts difficult to remove.

Maybe I am complicating things but the width or section of the eyelet on the rockshox is 12mm not the diameter of the opening but the main body of the eyelet...

The eyelet section on the DT Swiss is 8.5mm therefore they must have different mounting hardware as they are different thicknesses...

I have just remeasured the overall internal width of the shock mount and it's 24.8mm I wonder if this new caliper is actually accurate...

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I see what you mean;

2610.jpg

@Gary what's needed here pls?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've no idea mate. having not seen the frame, shock or hardware I'm hardly in the best position to advise. ;) .
as the original hardware is for an RS shock with DU eyelet busings and the DT shock uses sperical eyelet bearings DT hardware specific to the shock will be required.
TF tuned in the UK hold DT hardware and are generally very helpful so I'd suggest calling them on monday with your frames shock mount and bolt dimensions and they should be able to advise you which mounting kit/spacers you will need.
Failing that Email DT Swiss

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
I've no idea mate. having not seen the frame, shock or hardware I'm hardly in the best position to advise. ;) .
as the original hardware is for an RS shock with DU eyelet busings and the DT shock uses sperical eyelet bearings DT hardware specific to the shock will be required.
TF tuned in the UK hold DT hardware and are generally very helpful so I'd suggest calling them on monday with your frames shock mount and bolt dimensions and they should be able to advise you which mounting kit/spacers you will need.
Failing that Email DT Swiss
Thanks Gary,

I emailed DT a few days ago and not heard anything back as yet...

I spoke to a lady a TFT who was very informative and helpful and that really led to me Drafting the post...

Oh well, I think I am going to put the shock in ebay which is a shame as it looks amazing...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Uh? What did TF say? That you couldn't fit it to your frame at all? :unsure:

Even if you can't get the exact sized hardware from DT, you still have the option or either buying longer hardware and turning it down to size on a laithe or having a machine shop make you custom hardware.
is the bolt diameter wrong too?

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Uh? What did TF say? That you couldn't fit it to your frame at all? :unsure:

Even if you can't get the exact sized hardware from DT, you still have the option or either buying longer hardware and turning it down to size on a laithe or having a machine shop make you custom hardware.
is the bolt diameter wrong too?

I tried to call TFT back yesterday but they are closed, so I will tomorrow...

They only stock the M8 - 22.2mm hardware for the DT.

The M8 bolt on the shock fits through fine, I haven't tried the main part of the hardware yet as when I placed the reduces on each side of the eyelet it was much less than the existing rockshox width...

I think with the correct mounting hardware then it will work but that's where I am unsure as focus emailed me to say my frame was a M8 - 25mm...

Biketart stock loads of DT Swiss reducers in both the M6 and M8, but the closest one is 25.4mm... But it gets even more confusing because the eyelet section or plan view on the rockshox is 12mm where as the DT is 8.5mm.

So if we say my mounting hardware is 25mm less the 8.5mm then the total reducer size would be 16.5mm but I am assuming that when they state hardware of M8 - 25mm they mean the distance internal between the shock mounts.... Which when I put a vernier caliper on it came back to be 24.9mm... So I my calipers are probably off ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
M8 - 25mm they mean the distance internal between the shock mounts.
Yeah.
Which when I put a vernier caliper on it came back to be 24.9mm... So I my calipers are probably off ?
Your calipers are probably not off. The frame probably is. but accounting for paint that extra 0.1mm will still be within accepted tolerance. plenty frame shockmounts and linkage shockmounts are tight and it's not unusual for them to need to flex a little or be assembled while attached loosly at the rocker mount to allow the shock and reducers to fit.
If your only option is 25.4 the reducer hardware may need reamed/filed down slightly to fit. The good thing about your shock having sperical bearings is even if you do a poor job of removing that 0.4mm they'll still allow your shock to line up nicely.

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Quick update.

So the mounting hardware has arrived today and low and behold it's 25.4mm spot-on.... They only cost me £15 delivered from Germany for both the top and bottom.

Just been trying a few local companies, CNC and grinding, and no one seems to want to have a go at it..

So what are the chances of me successfully grinding 0.2mm off either reducer with an angle grinder ?? or we'll my mate...

Obviously I won't have them on the shock ? when we try... If it goes bluetits up then I can stick the shock on ebay...

Any tips before I give it a whirl ??‍♂️?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
if it really does only need 0.2mm off each side, fine grit wetndry/emery paper on a flat surface and sand them in circles and checking with your vernier as you go would have been enough.

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
if it really does only need 0.2mm off each side, fine grit wetndry/emery paper on a flat surface and sand them in circles and checking with your vernier as you go would have been enough.

Well he has worked with machining all his career and by his own volition...

"No probs. .2mm is 8 thousands of an inch. I used to work to 1 tenth of a thousand of an inch"

Let's see if he's as good as his words ?

I'll give him the Scarborough warning in the morning ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles