Dropper woes

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
Hadn't realised that the threaded collar on my Crank Bros dropper had vibrated free on a ride yesterday. Ran it up and down a few times before realising and it's pretty screwed- heavily scored.

Don't expect I'll be able to get a warranty job. So looking at replacements.. OneUp V2 seems a good buy. Anyone got one?

Other option is to swap the Reverb from my G170 but the lever (actually a plunger type button) looks to be integrated with the brake lever (Guide) so not sure if I can somehow marry up the Reverb post with the Crank Bros lever... would welcome any guidance!

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
Purchased the OneUp V2 180mm. Hopefully it will fit and not poke out any more than the current Crank Bros which I run with about 2mm oit the top. Seems to be a short body compared to most so fingers crossed.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Hadn't realised that the threaded collar on my Crank Bros dropper had vibrated free on a ride yesterday. Ran it up and down a few times before realising and it's pretty screwed- heavily scored.

Don't expect I'll be able to get a warranty job. So looking at replacements.. OneUp V2 seems a good buy. Anyone got one?

Other option is to swap the Reverb from my G170 but the lever (actually a plunger type button) looks to be integrated with the brake lever (Guide) so not sure if I can somehow marry up the Reverb post with the Crank Bros lever... would welcome any guidance!
On one of my acoustic bikes I have the reverb plunger (under-bar version) on the brake lever clamp using the mmx adaptor. Works well, but you can't run flat brake levers as some folk prefer these days.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Yeah, that Reverb plunger wouldn't have worked. The SRAM bar clamp is integrated, and the Reverb is hydraulic actuated anyway, not cable.

There are a few conversions to cable around, but you got the OneUp anyway. Hope it's working ok ??

DeHy kit

Last edited:

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
Cheers all. I am half way through installation (young kids makes progress slow!) and discovered that my Code R brake lever only has a standard clamp - no SRAM MMX. I have an MMX clamp on the other side with my gear lever attached.

My question is, can I just order any SRAM MMX clamp? If I Google, I get lots of results from makers like Avid. Can anyone advise if that would suit? Ideally I would have a SRAM one, but not sure what I actually need..? Seems like there's a lot of margin for error for the uneducated. :)

EDIT: For clarity, I have the MMX adapter that came with the dropper lever. So just need the MMX clamp for Code R.

Also, FYI the 180 OneUp V2 seems to all fit in the seat tube of my E150RS size large, with the collar gently sitting on the top of the rubber "seal". Yet to see if it will initiate though.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I've just done exactly the same for my Loam lever on an e160. You need one of these. Avid on the web site but SRAM badged one turned up.

31529_4_Supersize.jpg

Last edited:

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Thought you must be mistaken but went and checked my bike and yes the damn cheap asses have only fitted mmx to one side. Had the bike 3 months and never even noticed. Hope it doesn’t screw me over tomorrow, as my 170mm AXS reverb arrived this week and I’ve a brief child free window tomorrow morning to get it fitted. Pretty sure I’ve a spare clamp in the pile somewhere.
Anyway to answer your question, any Avid or SRAM MMX clamp will be fine. Same as the picture above but you only need the clamp ring as your remote came with the necessary adapters.

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
Cheers Jamze and Clubby, much appreciated. I was also surprised and annoyed to find the standard clamp!

Ordered an Avid clamp from Wiggle for £25 and delivery Tuesday so I can handle that.

Otherwise, fingers crossed it's plain sailing from here. One thing niggling in my head is that the cable housing end (with little plastic sleeve fitted) didn't seat very positively with the actuator on the dropper, feeling like it could drop free and I wouldn't know until I test it. Would be a pain if I had to disassemble again to re-seat it. Tempted to pull it out again to have one more look but worry that all the see-sawing of the cable housing through the frame isn't good for it (it's been in and out a few times already due to me forgetting first the barrel on the cable end, then the rubber collar for my seat tube... there was at least one more but can't remember why now....). I'm guessing that pushing the housing firmly into the frame with seatpost in place will help to ensure good location.

Anyway. I'm finding it all a bit stressful as would ordinarily let a professional do this sort of thing! ?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Pull it out again if you're worried. I've had my seatpost out quite a bit recently getting to the bottom of a creak. The knack is to push/feed the outer through from where it enters the front of the frame while you pull the seatpost slowly, so it doesn't snag. Don't pull the outer too much when refitting it, and it should stay in the cable stop.

I know what you mean, but once you've got the lever fitted and the cable adjusted you'd be unlucky for it to have come out of the stop.

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
Pull it out again if you're worried. I've had my seatpost out quite a bit recently getting to the bottom of a creak. The knack is to push/feed the outer through from where it enters the front of the frame while you pull the seatpost slowly, so it doesn't snag. Don't pull the outer too much when refitting it, and it should stay in the cable stop.

I know what you mean, but once you've got the lever fitted and the cable adjusted you'd be unlucky for it to have come out of the stop.

I will do that, thank you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles