Dropper post lever

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Has anyone changed their dropper post lever to an under bar one and if so which one have you fitted? I find the standard one on my jam2 a faff to use a lot of the time.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I did, but to make space you have to replace the e8000 mode changer with an e6000 one.
Shimano Steps Switch for E6000 - SEIS Compatible | ELECTRIC BIKE SPARES | Evans Cycles

I used one of these, but didn't like it mainly because it took too much effort to operate, so I put the original back on but on the right hand side of the bars and tend to operate with the palm of my hand rather than my thumb.( both my thumbs were damaged in a motor bike crash many years ago and have remained weakened ever since).
Brand-X Ascend Lever Kit V2 - (1 x Gears) | Chain Reaction Cycles

I would try one of these for better leverage if I could convince myself that £50 wasn't a bit of a rip-off.
Manitou Jack Dropper Seatpost Trigger | Chain Reaction Cycles

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I did, but to make space you have to replace the e8000 mode changer with an e6000 one.
Shimano Steps Switch for E6000 - SEIS Compatible | ELECTRIC BIKE SPARES | Evans Cycles

I used one of these, but didn't like it mainly because it took too much effort to operate, so I put the original back on but on the right hand side of the bars and tend to operate with the palm of my hand rather than my thumb.( both my thumbs were damaged in a motor bike crash many years ago and have remained weakened ever since).
Brand-X Ascend Lever Kit V2 - (1 x Gears) | Chain Reaction Cycles

I would try one of these for better leverage if I could convince myself that £50 wasn't a bit of a rip-off.
Manitou Jack Dropper Seatpost Trigger | Chain Reaction Cycles

Thanks for your reply.

So you currently used the standard Focus fitted one?

I was going to change the mode changer as well, is the Brand-X lever easy enough to fit?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks for your reply.

So you currently used the standard Focus fitted one?

I was going to change the mode changer as well, is the Brand-X lever easy enough to fit?

Yes, I have refitted the original one which I have now got used to.

The Brand X is easy enough to fit and is reasonable quality, it just didn't supply the leverage I was expecting.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Unfortunately my dropper switch isn't like that...
IMG_20190426_180635.jpg

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I use the standard dropper post switch and the standard mode shifter and to me they are both absolutely fine, no need to change them to me :)

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
It's not just you, the short lever takes a lot of effort to operate. Similar designs but with longer levers, like HPRs, are much 'lighter' to use.

Andy probably rips up old Yellow Pages with his bare hands as a hobby.

:) actually I do understand the reason why people change both switches on the Jam2 for me I have got used to how they are but I think that I would really prefer them both changing but I am not great with bike DIY and I would feel a bit daunted about getting it wrong, but the dropper post switch is certainly an odd operation and I would love a normal one and probably the mode shifter as well but can I do that without messing it up :) Is it easy enough to do for a novice?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I think so, when setting up we used the shifters to scroll through the settings, I haven’t had a good play with it yet but I’m sure it works like the normal shifter set up.

I would be interested to know, when you have acclimatised to your new set up, if there is a third button which allows you to scroll through distance, range, time, max speed etc on the screen remotely.

This was the main reason why I fitted an E6000 but admit that the E7000 is much neater looking.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Does the E6000 allow you to change the display then? I didn't realise that... :giggle:

Edit: Just checked online and the top button is for the display, I thought it was just for the walk mode... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
:) actually I do understand the reason why people change both switches on the Jam2 for me I have got used to how they are but I think that I would really prefer them both changing but I am not great with bike DIY and I would feel a bit daunted about getting it wrong, but the dropper post switch is certainly an odd operation and I would love a normal one and probably the mode shifter as well but can I do that without messing it up :) Is it easy enough to do for a novice?

I have got used to the current setup but being a novice at trail centres I did struggle at the Forest of Dean with the dropper post.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

It's fairly straightforward if you run the new cable externally along the bars.
If you run it internally, as Focus do, you may have to drill a small hole in the bars which I did.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
It's fairly straightforward if you run the new cable externally along the bars.
If you run it internally, as Focus do, you may have to drill a small hole in the bars which I did.

So you just unplug the old one and plug in the new one? Any software issues?

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Another question...

As for the dropper switch I presume you just use the existing cable?

I'd use the external but put a new internal cable in, mine has a small hole to tread the cable through which you fix with a crub screw, I'm actually going to replace my inner as its frayed at the lever and i'm thinking of putting a shimano inline adjuster in the line for more adjustment options.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I'd use the external but put a new internal cable in, mine has a small hole to tread the cable through which you fix with a crub screw, I'm actually going to replace my inner as its frayed at the lever and i'm thinking of putting a shimano inline adjuster in the line for more adjustment options.

Thanks.

I presume the inner will push through the outer without removing it from the frame? I've fitted a dropper post to another bike without any real difficulties so hopefully this should be relatively straightforward as well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@stiv674 and @Andy A I too have the same remote lever. It looks identical to the KS i7 dropper remote I had a few years ago. When new it was fine, easy to operate etc. But as time went by it got stiffer and stiffer. A new cable sorted it out. In time, I am expecting the same thing to happen with the dropper remote on my Focus.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles