Dropper post leaked all its oil

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Today my dropper post stopped working on a ride. When I got home a puddle started forming underneath the bike bike turns out the seat post has dumped all its oil into the seat tube which has then worked its way out the gap where the cables go into the frame at the rear and around the motor. The sides of the motor seems to escaped it bit looks likes the oil has run down the back where the seat cable goes and underneath the motor.

I'm not sure what caused it to suddenly fail and dump all the oil, I'm not to concerned about the dropper, more worried about the damage the leaked oil may cause. I've cleaned it the best I could without removing anything other then the seat post. I've left the seat post out , but a few hours after cleaning oil is still slowly running out the rear cable gaps.

Should I be worried about it? I had considered putting a bit if water down the seat tube to wash away the remaining oil then drying the remaining water with a hair dryer but wasn't sure if that was really a great idea either so came here hoping for some better suggestions :)

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I'd turn bike upside down for at least overnight. Water and anything electrical is bad idea. If anything try to rinse with isopropyl (IPA) or methylated spirits. These will mix with oil and evaporate fast, water won't.
Good luck.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
I'd turn bike upside down for at least overnight. Water and anything electrical is bad idea. If anything try to rinse with isopropyl (IPA) or methylated spirits. These will mix with oil and evaporate fast, water won't.
Good luck.
Good shout I'll assess in the morning and go from there. I've also got some of that muc off electrical anti corrosion spray, reckon I could use that instead of iso?

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Yep, spray would do it. The electrical contact cleaners main ingredient is IPA anyway. Just make sure not to use strong solvents such as acetone or tar removers which will eat plastics. Then you'll be in a hurt locker.

I'm not sure what kind of oil is used in droppers, probably similar to a fork/shock low viscosity oil - that shouldn't cause too much trouble with mechanical bits unless it gets into parts that are not supposed to be lubricated.
If oil didn't pool into these snap-on connectors (not the best design from Shimano, too flimsy for such a heavy duty application as is riding in dirt) you should be OK.

Edited: Remove plastic motor cover (easy job) and take a look, it will give a better idea what's going on.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Yep, spray would do it. The electrical contact cleaners main ingredient is IPA anyway. Just make sure not to use strong solvents such as acetone or tar removers which will eat plastics. Then you'll be in a hurt locker.

I'm not sure what kind of oil is used in droppers, probably similar to a fork/shock low viscosity oil - that shouldn't cause too much trouble with mechanical bits unless it gets into parts that are not supposed to be lubricated.
If oil didn't pool into these snap-on connectors (not the best design from Shimano, too flimsy for such a heavy duty application as is riding in dirt) you should be OK.

Edited: Remove plastic motor cover (easy job) and take a look, it will give a better idea what's going on.

Doesn't seem to bad I took the plastic cover off and cleaned it and poked my finger into the down tube, the cables and everything felt dry. I sprayed with electrical spray and used pipe cleaners to get to the bits I couldn't reach.

It looks as though the oil ran down seat tube out of the cable gaps then down underneath the plastic motor cover. And I would assume where the dropper cable runs aswell. Luckily it didn't go down the sides of the motor or the front where oil could have made its way into the down tube where the batteries and cables are.

Just waiting to hear back from bike shop. Hopefully they will send a replacement dropper post so not waiting for it to be repaired. Although after this experience I'm wondering about investing in a better post, that said I hadn't really had any issues with this post until this issue so maybe I was just unlucky.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles