Dropper post issue - Giant E+3

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Hi Guys

So a friend rode my wife's E+3 and now the dropper post won't stay down. The lever is very stiff and seems to have no movement in it. I can easily push the seat down but it just pops right back up. I have tried adjusting the cable tension using the little plastic cover next to the lever but it didn't seem to change the tension in the lever at all.

Shop I got the bike from won't be open until day after boxing day but I would like to ride the bikes before then and my wife relies on the dropper a fair bit. Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
Very sensitive bastard. Same with wife’s. I just tried moving the position or her.

In the end it was the clamp to the bar was over tight. Think it is only 2 n/m which is fuck all. So basically what is happening to my wife’s was the lever was not fully retuning to the start position.

I thought FTR was closed till 2 Jan.

Anyway is Giant Brisbane open today? They are usually open on Sunday.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Did you adjust the seat post when you lent it to your friend? If so if you set the seat post higher, then put it back down for your wife, you may have kinked/convuluted the cable run

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Very sensitive bastard. Same with wife’s. I just tried moving the position or her.

In the end it was the clamp to the bar was over tight. Think it is only 2 n/m which is fuck all. So basically what is happening to my wife’s was the lever was not fully retuning to the start position.

I thought FTR was closed till 2 Jan.

Anyway is Giant Brisbane open today? They are usually open on Sunday.
Ok I think this is my issue, I did lower the main position of the seat post as it was a bit high for her. I think I tighten the clamp to much.

What can I do to fix it though? If I loosen things off and adjust it slightly I still have the same issue whereby the lever is pretty solid and the seat just keeps popping back up. Do I have to get the pros to work it at the bike shop?

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
S
is the cable for the seat post clamped at the lever or the post?
Seems to be the lever end. If I try to press the lever it moves the smallest amount but it just feels like the flex of the plastic rather than the level actually being depressed.

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
Giant Brisbane is closed today but Tom Walace Cycles is ope
Ok I think this is my issue, I did lower the main position of the seat post as it was a bit high for her. I think I tighten the clamp to much.

What can I do to fix it though? If I loosen things off and adjust it slightly I still have the same issue whereby the lever is pretty solid and the seat just keeps popping back up. Do I have to get the pros to work it at the bike shop?

Ok if you lowered the seat post you need to find out where it stops and then go back up a smigg

Also you need to pull the cable back out from the front entry at the same time as per previous poster.

If a heap of adjustment is ended the actual cable may need to be shortened.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Have you checked that the cable ferule is seated properly in the bottom of the post - it sounds like the actuator on the bottom of the post isn't releasing, i.e when you activate the lever, the cable pulls the actuator on the bottom of the post, which enables it to move up and down, but it seems like the post isn't locking out, so that the actuator is in the open position the whole time? Might be that the cable it too tight, try twisting the barrel adjuster all the way in and this sometimes happens if the cable is too tight.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Thanks for the help guys. The cable had to much tension on it from when I lowered it, so it was locked in the half open position. I removed the lever and then pulled the seat post all the way out and adjusted the cable at the bottom of the post. Seems to be working now.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Giant has a suspension mount through the seat tube , the cable on ours was routed the wrong side of this mount and when the seat was pushed down it kinked the ferrule on the end of the cable . Just pull the post out while feeding the cable back up and check it . It only needs a normal gear cable inner if it’s damaged , but if you running the seat really low you need to route the cable the other side of the suspension mount .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles